What "essential" items turn out to be non-essential? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #21

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Can't beat Norm's words of wisdom.

Over a matter of a decade or so we've gone from a little RV to a bigger RV to a BIG RV and now to our 17' Bigfoot. I think for the most part we are traveling with the same amount of stuff as when we began. Our big 32' footer always had lots of storage space going begging because we like to travel light. I thougnt I would miss having a microwave oven but now that we've used the Bigfoot some I find I don't really miss it. My essentials are my camera and camera gear, our laptop, my purse with cash and credit cards, my pillow and my coffee maker. Anything else, if we forget it, we can always buy a replacement somewhere along the road. For my husband it's his bikes and some books to read.

In the kitchen department we have just two plates, two bowls, two coffee mugs, etc. For cooking we take a frying pan, a large saucepot, a medium saucepot and one square baking pan. We used to take a gas BBQ but found we never used it much so now it stays home. I also used to stuff the RV or trailer with tons of food but now I've seriously cut back on that. After all, there are grocery stores wherever you go!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
it's a Lafuma zero-gravity lounger if I'm staying for more than a couple of days. It's heavy, big and worth it!
Yes, yes, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
NON-essentials:
Lawn chairs
No, no, no

If there's one thing that I probably carry to much of it's tools, but then "you never know".

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
07-07-2012 7-57-25 PM  006_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #23

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Jim - Proof that the basics are all you need.
Alf - So true! It's the journey that is basic to FB camping.
Norm - As always, you share words of wisdom and your special love for your wife! We can all learn from your example.
Jo- Too many clothes! Yep! I'm learning to bring fewer too. I limit myself to a 20"duffel and a toiletry bag that holds lotions/potions and first aid kit.
Kathy - Thanks for including your short list of basics. I'm finding it's much easier to keep track of fewer things.
Ron - Your photo says it all!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #24

Name: Cheri
Trailer: Scamp fifth-wheel
North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda
Jim - Proof that the basics are all you need.
Alf - So true! It's the journey that is basic to FB camping.
Norm - As always, you share words of wisdom and your special love for your wife! We can all learn from your example.
Jo- Too many clothes! Yep! I'm learning to bring fewer too. I limit myself to a 20"duffel and a toiletry bag that holds lotions/potions and first aid kit.
Kathy - Thanks for including your short list of basics. I'm finding it's much easier to keep track of fewer things.
Ron - Your photo says it all!
However . . . on the clothes issue . . . we recently returned from a trip in which we experienced temperatures that ranged from 31 degrees to 80 degrees--daytime temps were everything in between. I have always packed light, and taken just the essentials in clothing, but I think I will revise my philosophy somewhat. I FROZE!!!
Cheri in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is when you go to the local thrift shop for some sweats I guess it is better to pack warm, it is easier to shed clothes than to acquire them
I remember while working downtown I was able to obtain tickets to the Orioles afternoon game, went there in my shirt/tie/long pants, temperatures rose to 90's so I took out my swiss army knife and made my pants into cut offs, cooled me down but needless to say ruined the suit, unless you go to Bermuda.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sorry Dave,
2 chairs and a folding table let one boondock and enjoy the surroundings.
I agree with the weinie sticks and coffee.
`roy, i have one of those rome weinnie roasting baskets instead of sticks. you can also squeeze a steak, slab of fish, or chunk of chicken in it to roast over the fire
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
We carry folding lawn chairs with flip-out side tables. Never used 'em yet.

We have a BBQ taking up space in the "basement" It is new, 100% unused and has followed us around for a couple of years.

Not even sure if we still carry wienie sticks

What is REALLY ESSENTIAL is fresh coffee beans - a french roast with a bit of light roast mixed in, a grinder and a kettle plus Mellitta maker.

Otherwise - we arrive, set up, and go out for dinner. Next morning - coffee, then off we go, return to trailer to sleep at night.
thats pretty much what we do dave, with the exception that i truley enjoy cooking when we are at the trailer, so i make all sorts of wonderfull stuff to surprise my wife and keep her happy.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Clothing

We have worked to become clothes minimalists, still a little way to go. In an 11 month trip you go thru a wide range of temperatures. We carry no winter like clothing, even when going to Newfoundland /Labrador in May. (Our picture is on a very high spot in Labrador with our raincoats/windbreakers on after a geocache hike.)

We stay warm by layering, a lighter warmer approach than a heavy coat and more useful. Our raincoats serve the dual function of windbreakers and outer wear for multiple turtleneck sweater layers when necessary.

This year we each carried two pairs of shoes, a pair of Keens and a pair of sneakers (for occasional tennis). The Keens are great for hiking and adequate for Church. (Ginny slipped in a 'hidden' third pair fr dancing.)

We have a rule if we didn't use a piece of clothing in a year it doesn't make it next year. This means that the last month of the trip I see outfits on Ginny I had not seen in the previous 10 months. (She has said she brought too much.)

We did carry 3 pairs of Jeans this year because we wanted a good pair for the pig roast/mountain wedding. We carry 4-6 pairs of shorts and a good mix of long and short shirts, from T-shirts, pullovers, turtlenecks and button down shirts.

We carry 8 pairs of underwear and socks because we wash once a week.

As well we carry 1 dress outfit (Ginny has 2) for church and special events.

The only important appearance thing is how we look to each other and Ginny tells me I always look 16. The lie makes me feel good.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #29

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
We have worked to become clothes minimalists, still a little way to go. In an 11 month trip you go thru a wide range of temperatures. We carry no winter like clothing, even when going to Newfoundland /Labrador in May. (Our picture is on a very high spot in Labrador with our raincoats/windbreakers on after a geocache hike.)

We stay warm by layering, a lighter warmer approach than a heavy coat and more useful. Our raincoats serve the dual function of windbreakers and outer wear for multiple turtleneck sweater layers when necessary.

This year we each carried two pairs of shoes, a pair of Keens and a pair of sneakers (for occasional tennis). The Keens are great for hiking and adequate for Church. (Ginny slipped in a 'hidden' third pair fr dancing.)

We have a rule if we didn't use a piece of clothing in a year it doesn't make it next year. This means that the last month of the trip I see outfits on Ginny I had not seen in the previous 10 months. (She has said she brought too much.)

We did carry 3 pairs of Jeans this year because we wanted a good pair for the pig roast/mountain wedding. We carry 4-6 pairs of shorts and a good mix of long and short shirts, from T-shirts, pullovers, turtlenecks and button down shirts.

We carry 8 pairs of underwear and socks because we wash once a week.

As well we carry 1 dress outfit (Ginny has 2) for church and special events.

The only important appearance thing is how we look to each other and Ginny tells me I always look 16. The lie makes me feel good.....

Ah, that's nice. I like your clothing philosophy--but my ever-cold feet require some seriously warm footwear when the weather is the least bit cool, and more than anything I needed my Steger Mukluks on our last trip. Seemed like the cold went clear into my bones, and I spent half the night just trying to get my feet and legs to feel warm and stop aching.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #30

Florida
Socks

Cheri

Not all socks are equal. I do carry a pair or two of high winter socks that can go over my regular socks. Actually for at least half the time we wear no socks.

As well we have an electric blanket to turn us into toasty warm every night regardless of the weather.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #31

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
Cheri

Not all socks are equal. I do carry a pair or two of high winter socks that can go over my regular socks. Actually for at least half the time we wear no socks.

As well we have an electric blanket to turn us into toasty warm every night regardless of the weather.
We have pondered the use of an electric blanket--but I've been concerned about ruining the electric part (as a pet once did on an electric blanket we had). We have a Scamp 5th wheel, and we've oriented the bed lengthwise in the loft. So we end up crawling over it to get in and out, and kneeling on it to make the bed. Do you have similar challenges, and how has your blanket survived?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #32

Florida
An electric blanket seems to last us about 4 years. We typically pay in the $25 range for a twin size. We're never careful with ours and this year folded it up and stored it away every day with no damage.

Nothing beats local heat. Usually we turn it on before we get into bed and usually about an hour after we're in bed I shut it off. (We usually watch TV in bed before going to sleep.) Sometimes I wakeup if it feels cold and hit the button.

Our blanket runs on AC but 12 volt blankets are available.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #33

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I use an electric mattress pad at home and sometimes in the trailer. It works great! No need for additional heat during the night so you get to breath nice cool air.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #34

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer
I use an electric mattress pad at home and sometimes in the trailer. It works great! No need for additional heat during the night so you get to breath nice cool air.
What would you say are the advantages of a heated mattress pad over a heated blanket? I've often wondered.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #35

Florida
Blanket advantage

Good question.

This needs to be considered from the perspective that there is only a single controller on our blanket.

If you wake up and one person finds it to warm you can flip the e-blanket off you or to the end of the bed.

The advantage of both forms is that you practically never have to run heat at least down to the teens.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #36

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I find that the mattress pad heater works better because it heats the bed and keeps you much warmer. I have had boath and I was much warmer with the mattress pad heater. I never had to turn the heater on until the temp got down in to the teens.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #37

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman
I find that the mattress pad heater works better because it heats the bed and keeps you much warmer. I have had boath and I was much warmer with the mattress pad heater. I never had to turn the heater on until the temp got down in to the teens.
Do mattress pad heaters have dual controls? My husband sleeps warm, unlike me, and is always kicking off the covers.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #38

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri in MN View Post
Do mattress pad heaters have dual controls? My husband sleeps warm, unlike me, and is always kicking off the covers.
Mine does.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #39

Florida
Generally it depends on the size. Since we use only a twin sized blanket it only has a single control.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #40

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Turned not essential: a gaz bbq...never use it. When we want to grill, we build a fire. So much better ! But we still carry it