What fiberglass trailers are still in business today - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Don’t forget Bigfoot. They make models that meet the OP’s criteria!
Except the part about visiting the factory and ordering one- I didn't think they did factory direct sales, no?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #22

Name: Linda
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Virginia
Cost More, but For Us - Worth It

My husband and I are looking at Fiberglass RV's and are considering the Bigfoot & the Oliver, primarily because of their ability for winter (Alaska) camping. I have been in contact with both companies and both allow for some customization. The downside is they cost more than some of the others, but appear to have superior insulation.
BluebonnetGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Both great trailers, but very different. The Oliver is narrow for better towing and aerodynamics, but not as spacious and less storage. Lots of high-end materials and that sleek, gelcoat interior (don't know if that's what I'd want in the winter...). Not as many used units out there, so prices are high.

Bigfoot is 8' wide and boxy with a more traditional (but well built) RV interior. Bigfoot's been making them a while, so I've seen some nice used units at much more affordable prices than any Oliver. I'd have no hesitation buying a 10-year-old Bigfoot.

Don't know what kind of winter Alaskan camping you're thinking about- it's a big state- but even the best 4-season trailers are not well-suited for extreme cold. Unless you have an unlimited supply of free propane...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #24

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebonnetGal View Post
My husband and I are looking at Fiberglass RV's and are considering the Bigfoot & the Oliver, primarily because of their ability for winter (Alaska) camping. I have been in contact with both companies and both allow for some customization. The downside is they cost more than some of the others, but appear to have superior insulation.
Another big concern is where water lines and water tanks (especially the fresh water tank) are located in regard to that insulation, and as another mentioned, having enough heat source to keep those water lines and tanks from freezing. How fresh water enters the camper and how waste water leaves, without freezing, can be tricky when it's 30 below for weeks on end. Many folks who use a travel trailer for their base camp during frigid-weather deer/elk hunting in the Rockies simply keep their camper's water system winterized and instead store gallon jugs of drinking water inside the warmed trailer cabin and then use the same bathroom as the deer and elk they are hunting. Mother Nature has her own time-tested system of "composting" organic waste in the wild. Just saying....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Another big concern is where water lines and water tanks (especially the fresh water tank) are located in regard to that insulation, and as another mentioned, having enough heat source to keep those water lines and tanks from freezing. How fresh water enters the camper and how waste water leaves, without freezing, can be tricky when it's 30 below for weeks on end. Many folks who use a travel trailer for their base camp during frigid-weather deer/elk hunting in the Rockies simply keep their camper's water system winterized and instead store gallon jugs of drinking water inside the warmed trailer cabin and then use the same bathroom as the deer and elk they are hunting. Mother Nature has her own time-tested system of "composting" organic waste in the wild. Just saying....
I have also been looking at the Oliver, the tanks are all inside the trailer and none are outside, I even see the gray and black water waste valves are in the rear bumper that opens when needed. Nice trailer, nice price, but then it's only money and it is our retirement wants.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #26

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Nobody was ever sorry they bought the best there is.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote