What fiberglass trailers are still in business today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
What fiberglass trailers are still in business today

I would like a list of the fiberglass RV trailers that are still being manufactured today, the ones you can visit the manufacture and buy/order one, ones in the 17' to 23' range. Not interested in Teardrops, Tent Trailer, just mainly the Egg style trailers.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Currently in business, 17' to 23', built-to-order, factory direct sales:
Scamp*, Casita, Escape, Oliver, and Lil Snoozy.
*Scamp's only model in your size range is their modified fifth wheel.

Bigfoot sells through dealers and doesn't build to order. Same for Nest and Parkliner, which are also a little under 17'.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Happier Camper too.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
On the fringe, but in business:
Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers

Another is Pelsue, who will make you a custom trailer. Their focus is cable splicing trailers.

I also hear about Trilliums, and maybe Armadillos. Do your homework, possibly sketchy.

PS, I don't believe Weiscrafts or Pelsues meet the 17' minimum. Thanks for pointing that out, below. It appears the HC1 is 13' overall, with a 10' shell.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
OP asked about trailers in 17' to 23' range.

Several of these suggestions do not qualify.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I saw this yesterday on YouTube. Not sure if they renamed the Boler company or this is just a new model. Its called the Armadillo.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Yes, there are a number of companies making smaller units. Relic is another. But not many making units in the 17'-23' range specified in the original post, and even fewer selling factory direct, built to order.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp*, Casita, Escape, Oliver, and Lil Snoozy.
*Scamp's only model in your size range is their modified fifth wheel.

Bigfoot sells through dealers and doesn't do custom builds. Same for Nest and Parkliner, which are also a little under 17'.
Actually, Escape is the only one with custom builds as well as over a dozen options available for each unit. I do not believe that Casita, Scamp will change their basic layout like Escape will. Escape will also install customer provided items, not sure about any other manufacturer that will do this.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
OP asked about trailers in 17' to 23' range.

Several of these suggestions do not qualify.
True... however...
If OP is willing to live in a 17 footer, then a 16 footer should also be considered. Very little difference and many more options. And my "16 foot" Scamp is actually 6 1/2 feet. So if you round up its a 17 footer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually, Escape is the only one with custom builds as well as over a dozen options available for each unit. I do not believe that Casita, Scamp will change their basic layout like Escape will. Escape will also install customer provided items, not sure about any other manufacturer that will do this.
That's perhaps a bit misleading. None are full custom builds, but all are built to order. I changed my post to make that clear.

Regarding layouts, other than the 17A & B, Escape only offers one basic layout for each model. They will swap a permanent bed for a convertible dinette, but they won't change the basic location of galley, bath, and major appliances.

On the other hand, Scamp offers 7 different layout options on the 16' model. Casita offers 3 different layouts on the 16' and 4 on the 17'. Some of the layout variations allow for different placement of galley, beds, dinette, and/or bath. Due to the fiberglass interior, they're not so much customizable as modular. I have seen a few off-the-menu layout variations on Scamp deluxe models.

You're right, though, Escape does allow a greater degree of customization in terms of finish materials and equipment upgrades, and it has a longer options list. Scamp is very accommodating of delete requests, allowing for easier customization after purchase, but not so much for adds and substitutions. Casita is least flexible when it comes to that kind of customization.

All are built to order, where you choose the layout and options, which is what I understood the OP to mean, in contrast to trailers sold through dealers, where you get whatever layouts and options happens to be available on the lot.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Name: phil
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Armadillo Trailer: looks like a very quality build. Years ago I bought my 17' Bigfoot that is still in good working order today. The salesman wanted to sell me a 24' Terry instead for less money. Glad I didn't bite. Sometimes a well built fibreglass trailer is a better deal than a bigger metal trailer. Worked for my family for 25 years.
durb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
True... however...
If OP is willing to live in a 17 footer, then a 16 footer should also be considered. Very little difference and many more options. And my "16 foot" Scamp is actually 6 1/2 feet. So if you round up its a 17 footer.
Not a true statement, when it comes to Casitas anyway. I have a 17' Casita, and I can tell you that there's no way I'd have one of the 13' or 16' models because they indeed differ greatly, not just in their lengths, but more importantly, the 13's, (which are no longer in production, but there are a lot of them still out there,) and the 16's don't have adequate head room. My 17 footer allows me to stand up straight, and I'm 6'2". I would have to walk around like Quasimodo in the 13's or 16's which only give you about 5'10" of headroom. Mine is also a bit wider.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
A 17' Casita and 16' Scamp have approximately the same interior headroom, about 73-74". A 16' Casita is several inches less. All are 80" wide (exterior).

The biggest difference is the main bed width, at 45" in the Scamp 16* and Casita 16 versus 54" in the Casita 17. That alone accounts for much of the popularity of the Casita 17.
*standard models, deluxe (wood interior) is 54"
Old 05-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
A 17' Casita and 16' Scamp have approximately the same interior headroom, about 73-74". A 16' Casita is several inches less. All are 80" wide (exterior).

The biggest difference is the main bed width, at 45" in the Scamp 16* and Casita 16 versus 54" in the Casita 17. That alone accounts for much of the popularity of the Casita 17.
*standard models, deluxe (wood interior) is 54"
Well, to me anyway, it's all about the bed. You spend a third of your life sleeping. Maybe not much difference in width side to side of the trailer shell itself between the 16's and 17's, but a big difference in how much room two people have to sleep in side by side. We have a real full time bed with a 9" tall pillow top full size mattress, No silly egg crate "waffle rubber" crappy pads to sleep on, and sweat on, all night. Nor sleeping on the absolutely intolerable stock seat cushions to try to sleep on. (I say try, because I have never been able to sleep on those worthless egg crate pads, nor the factory cushions.) YMMV
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...I can't speak to Scamps as I don't own one BUT, Casitas are 78" wide not 80...if they were 80"s wide, they would havvta use more marker lights(as per DOT)...IIRC...3 in both front(yellow) and rear(red) center plus, on each upper corner(red on rear and yellow on front) and I believe over the wheel well a 2 lensed light with red to rear and yellow to front...........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
...I can't speak to Scamps as I don't own one BUT, Casitas are 78" wide not 80...if they were 80"s wide, they would havvta use more marker lights(as per DOT)...IIRC...3 in both front(yellow) and rear(red) center plus, on each upper corner(red on rear and yellow on front) and I believe over the wheel well a 2 lensed light with red to rear and yellow to front...........
madjack
I was just going by their literature. Both Scamp and Casita list the overall exterior width as 6'8". The only thing I've actually measured is the inside width at the bed, and that was about 6'4". I am familiar with the 80" rule and figure they designed them to be right at the cusp.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
True... however...
Do note here the OP has a 17 Casita at this time, he is just wanting to know what's out there for future reference.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
I was just going by their literature. Both Scamp and Casita list the overall exterior width as 6'8". The only thing I've actually measured is the inside width at the bed, and that was about 6'4". I am familiar with the 80" rule and figure they designed them to be right at the cusp.
...you're right about the listed spec...however, it only has to be a silly millimeter narrower than 80"s to skirt that rule(and probably is)...........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Happier Camper too.
its a 13ft utility trailer, but there are rumors...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #20

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Don’t forget Bigfoot. They make models that meet the OP’s criteria!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote