What holds the body to the frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1970 Boler
Oregon
What holds the body to the frame?

I have a 1970 13' boler and was wondering what the primary fasteners are that hold the body to the frame. I am replacing the floor in mine and have drilled the rivet heads off in the drop down floor area to remove the factory linoleum. My question is are these fasteners necessary to hold the body to the frame.
J-barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-barn View Post
I have a 1970 13' boler and was wondering what the primary fasteners are that hold the body to the frame. I am replacing the floor in mine and have drilled the rivet heads off in the drop down floor area to remove the factory linoleum. My question is are these fasteners necessary to hold the body to the frame.
If its original there are six bolts ,2 under the back benches, 2 under the front bench,and 1 under the fridge and 1 in the side closet .no those fasteners are not necessary .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I would suggest that you do find and pull the actual attaching hardware/bolts and examine them for rust. You'll find lots of posts on this website about this.Mine on our '76 Trillium were rusted mostly through and one was missing all together.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Yes, find 'em and inspect 'em!

When we drove our '73 amerigo home for the first time, we discovered only six bolts originally held it to the frame...and 4-1/2 of those were rusted away, leaving only the heads inside. the others were almost gone. So--what held it to the frame? 1/8" of old steel and luck.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Oregon
I will inspect and replace all steel fasteners. I just wanted to make sure my union was not also relying on those floor rivets. Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Bolts...

Old post regarding body/frame bolts...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lts-38208.html

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Oregon
I found the empty spaces for 1/4" bolts under the front bench, but there does not appear to be anything under the rear benches fastening the body to the frame except a few small machine screws. I climbed underneath and saw no holes for 1/4" bolts anywhere in the frame. I guess I will be adding some today. Weird?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
My '73 Boler was a similar case. Some shell to frame machine-type screws/ (aka 'lag bolts') were missing, others were partially rusted away. I chose to weld a piece of 1 1/2 in. by 1 1/2 in" angle iron to each of the four corners of the frame and then drilled 3/8" holes to accomodate SS bolts, washers and nuts to hold-'er down.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Oregon
After really giving the body/frame union a look over it would appear that on my 1970 there was nothing attaching the two parts except the #10 square drive machine screws and most of those were stripped and loose or very deteriorated from rust. I drilled the four corners of the cabin to accept 1/4"-20 bolts with nuts fastening it to the frame and then upgraded the machine screws to a #12 with a hex head. I also used 1 1/4" washers since most the holes going through the would floor had been hogged out probably from vibrating around the loose rusted screws.