What I learned after 1986 miles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
What I learned after 1986 miles

Hello,

I posted this on the SCAMP forum, but wanted to share with you folks as well. Might be useful for someone, if not, it still was a fantastic trip. Along the way we saw three Scamps and four Casitas. Waved to all!

TV is 2008 Honda Ridgeline with towing package, 13' Scamp, electric brakes, furnace, water pump, 12 Gal fresh water tank, 5 Gal water container in truck bed, 12vdc/120vac/LP fridge, LED bulbs, porta poty (Thetford 135), 2 burner stove, flexible solar panel from our old sailboat, group 27 battery and twin LP tanks.

We just completed a trip from the Bitterroot Valley in Montana to the Dinosaur National Monument in Utah, Copper Mountain in Colorado and return. Trip took 8 days, 5 of which included travel. The 13' is a dream to haul, mileage averaged 14.5, mpg in the hills and mountains, 16 mpg and higher on the flat, with stretches at 65 mph, 1800 rpm, our normal cruising speed with no trailer.

The fridge performed very well, 12vdc while traveling and LP when camped. I intend to install a relay in the 12vdc line between TV and camper, but we had no problems with battery drain during short stops, What I learned here, DO NOT put eggs against the cold plate in the fridge! Frozen eggs are hard to crack. Temps were high 80's and 90's during the day, 40's and 50's at night. LP setting was High, probably could have had it lower, or put the eggs parallel to the door and in front!

We stayed at BLM and National Forest campgrounds (Green River Campground, Heaton Bay and Birch Creek), pit toilets and no dump stations. Gray water was run to a 5 gal bucket to be emptied in the pit toilet, same for the Porta Potty. Green River Campground is within the National Monument, both tent and camper sites, tables, paved parking, quiet, water available, no dump. Heaton Bay, Silvethorne, CO, tent and camper sites, beautiful views, water, pit toilets, no dumping. Birch Creek is a BLM site in Lone Pine, ID. Fantastic views, pit toilets and water available, no dumping. All three were very clean and comfortable. What I learned. When traveling in this area, fill up when the fuel gauge reaches 1/2, towns can be a long way apart, some with out gas.

12vdc was maintained by the solar panel. In fact during bright sun, the panel kept our voltage at 13.2vdc while running the overhead fan. Because the sun did not set until 9pm or so, electric use was minimal, more will be known this fall. What I learned, check the voltage level before leaving the campsite, and before retiring for the night. Leaving the fridge on 12vdc overnight can ruin the next day. This did not happen to us, but i can see how easily it could.

I filled the water tank before we left, and did not have to add water until day 7. What I learned. When I went to refill the water tank, I found a layer of dust on the inside surface of the fill spout. This was removed with an alcohol base wipe, water added to the tank, then a clean wipe placed in the fill spout to capture any new dust.

Make certain there is a Phillips head screwdriver in the silverware drawer, screws loosen during travel.

Finally, have a good map for each state you are traveling in. GPS is useful, but we found numerous instances where a bit of time spent looking at the map, saved many miles and the frustration of an 80MPH Interstate while hauling the camper. Not to mention, small towns, beautiful views and more comfortable travel. In two separate instances our GPS was certain our destination did not exist!

This may seem spartan to some, but after years of tenting and coastal sailing we have found that often, less is more. Get out there, leave your site cleaner than you found it,and enjoy!

To paraphrase Warren Miller, "If you don't do it today, it will be one more year before you do".

All the best from Montana,

Frosty
LCH in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Frosty,

That is a great report. So much of it I can relate to. Funny how less can be more.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCH in Montana View Post
... I intend to install a relay in the 12vdc line between TV and camper, but we had no problems with battery drain during short stops....
Short stops should be fine, and for longer stops make sure the fridge in heating with 12 volts and fans are not running, and it should be fine. But the relay is the more fool proof way to avoid a dead tow vehicle battery, and this is a simple device to install if you dont want to go hunting for a relay power source that mirrors the state of the engine (running or not).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00400IYTK

By the way, I see you added photos to the post at ScampOwners but not here.. I feel cheated... LOL
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Montana
My bad! It was late, and I was lazy. The first photo is of Green River Campground, great spot in the Dinosaur National Monument, next Birch Creek, the BLM site and below, Heaton Bay in Silverthorne, CO., a Ptarmigan on Copper Mountain, in CO. and finally our preferred backup overnight spot........Cabela's.
Attached Thumbnails
Green River - Copy.jpg   Birch Creek (2).jpg  

Heaton Bay - Copy (2).jpg   Ptarmigan.jpg  

DSCN0406.jpg  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
What I learned after 1986 miles

Hi Just wanted to say I liked the photos ,especially the 3rd one with the snow on the mountain tops. That's the best place for snow anyway, not 18" deep or more in my driveway ! I never used to hate winter but arthritis has set in and changed my views a lot ! It's nice to see pics of far away places so post your favorites on here ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Your trip

Thanks for sharing. Loved the photos.
Bill Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #7

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCH in Montana View Post
................... What I learned. When traveling in this area, fill up when the fuel gauge reaches 1/2, towns can be a long way apart, some with out gas. .................

This may be the least mentioned, but most important tip, of all of your excellent narrative. We have encountered this situation numerous times when we are traveling 2 lane highways and byways, and would have been in trouble if we hadn't filled before we were down to ½ tank. I asked a farmer friend of mine, and he of course had the answer as to why. Many farms and ranches have a fuel tank on site, so not every town (any more) has a gas station.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #8

Montana
Thanks

Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words. And, it is an opportunity to meet some really nice and interesting folks!

Lee