What is the difference in the name? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
Thumbs up

Could someone tell me what makes the difference between a Rally, Gathering, Get-together, Molded Meet, (and etc)?
I notice some folks seem to make the distinction between one or another (i.e. "NOT a Rally!") and others use the names interchangeably.
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm thinkin' there's no difference. It's just like-minded people who are organized enough to pick a date and a place to meet. The name of the event is just to identify it among the bunch. The only ones I have problems with are the ones with a trailer brand in the title, like ScampCamp or CasitaGathering. Makes me wonder if the organizers would welcome other brands or are trying to be exclusive. If they are trying for all one brand, they don't know what they're missing out on!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I think "rally" implies big and organized, whereas "get-together" implies small and informal. The Oregon "gathering" has become big (very big), and from what I hear, also very well organized, so the terms are inexact.

Molded meets are exclusively for molded RVs, of course.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #4

Thank you both! I kind of was getting the same impressions, but wanted to make sure.
Oh, by the way, sorry I posted in the wrong place...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Oh, by the way, sorry I posted in the wrong place...
That's okay, I moved it to General Chat...thought you'd get more
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: To quote a childrens song "The more we get together the happier we'll be"
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I don't know about the Casita gatherings, but I'm told that the Scamp Camps are open to anyone with a molded FGRV, and they frequently have other brands attend. The Bigfoot Owner's Club International, OTOH, requires Bigfoot ownership to continue membership. That said, Ric Allen the founder and past president, showed up this year in his Prevost but managed to redeem himself by ordering a new Bigfoot MoHo while he was there. In his defense, he had a 25RQ up until the week of the rally, and it sold.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
In late January, 1999, eight Scamp Owners happen to meet at Highlands Hammock State Park in southern Florida near Sebring. After spending several days chatting about experiences in traveling with our Scamps , this small group decided to try publishing a newsletter for Scamp owners (and others who own little "eggs"). That following May the first issue of the SOI News was mailed out to about thirty Scamp owners. Thus, Scamp Owners International (SOI) was born! From this small beginning, SOI now has several hundred members.
The name Scamp Camp just sounded catchy and cought on . And they are published in our newsletter We have been to 11 of them so far[ Not all called Scamp camps] and have never had a bad experince. Never been to one that has had all scamps and the non scamps seem to get more attention. You allways get a great group of people with similar thoughts of what camping should be. You can belong to S.O.I. with or even without a trailer. Soanything goes Even have a stick built once and a while.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I notice some folks seem to make the distinction between one or another (i.e. "[b]NOT a Rally!")
I stole this title (thanks Gina) to convey that while I would be interested in camping in a group of Fiberglass Enthusiasts, and we would enjoy each other's company, I am not an "Organization Man", and have not set a schedule, or organized a potluck. I won't even know exactly where it is until I show up.

I have attended 2 "Oregon Gatherings" which are extremely popular, well attended, and they have to be organized, scheduled, and managed to accomodate the large numbers of persons and animals attending. Nancy and Donna and others put in huge amounts of time and effort to make the time spent there rewarding, and their efforts are to be commended!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
I always think of a "rally" as the extravaganza that Good Sam puts on complete with lots of commercial vendors. Our fiberglass gatherings, whatever they may be called, are the best, but it is thepeoplethat make the event!

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #11

In my way of thinking, 'gathering' and 'get-together' sound more casual than 'rally'. 'Rally' conjurs up hs memories of weekend car rallies, racing from one clue/landmark to another . Like anything else that involves planning, organizing and scheduling, my hat is off to everyone that works hard at putting together such big events .
Now, for what it's worth ( ) I still think it would be fun to call a meet with all different kinds of eggs a...'scramble' (OK, I better go get coffee...signing on before that first cup can be dangerous... )
Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I like that A Scramble
Old 02-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We have a Good Sam's Casita etc club in Florida called "The Casita Scramblers" and we meet every 3 months, momma and I joined to keep us disiplined enough to go camping at least once every 3 months, we don't limit it to Casitas though, great grooup of folks