What is the water tank drain for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
What is the water tank drain for?

After patching hundreds of holes from previous owners that obviously didn't know how to do anything right I am trying to eliminate the need to drill new holes myself that don't need to be drilled.

My question is what is the water tank drain for? It is exactly at the same level as the outlet for the pump so why can't you just empty the tank using the pump?

I thought I should also mention the stupidity of one PO that actually drilled holes through the shell to install a paper towel holder!
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
So you do not need Voltage to drain the tank.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The water tank drain is exactly what it is called. It drains the tank through gravity. It isn't reliant on having power to run the pump. Just curious why you want to even use the pump to drain the tank. Open the dump valve and you're done.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The water tank drain is exactly what it is called. It drains the tank through gravity. It isn't reliant on having power to run the pump. Just curious why you want to even use the pump to drain the tank. Open the dump valve and you're done.
I was just curious if it was really necessary since turning the faucet on is just as easy.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Also good if your cooking outside, just use it like an external tap, great for a quick pot of tea I use it a lot.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I was just curious if it was really necessary since turning the faucet on is just as easy.
If your not connected to electrical turning on the faucet will drain power from the battery.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
After patching hundreds of holes from previous owners that obviously didn't know how to do anything right I am trying to eliminate the need to drill new holes myself that don't need to be drilled.

My question is what is the water tank drain for? It is exactly at the same level as the outlet for the pump so why can't you just empty the tank using the pump?

I thought I should also mention the stupidity of one PO that actually drilled holes through the shell to install a paper towel holder!
Our 16 ft has the tank drain at the front and the outlet to the pump at the rear.
The tank has a flat bottom, and those outlets are up off the very bottom. So it is impossible to get all the water - or antifreeze - out. You have to tilt the rig down in front to get most of the juice out.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can do a time-test. Use the pump to clean, drain the tank etc. When it comes time to repair, compare it to a $.50 drain valve.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Also good if your cooking outside, just use it like an external tap, great for a quick pot of tea I use it a lot.
That would not work on mine. The spigot is inside, under the seat, above the floor.

Also, that short drain pipe catches all the dirt from the road. But, of course, you could clean and sterilize it before each use. Learn from the dairy farmers!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Our 16 ft has the tank drain at the front and the outlet to the pump at the rear.
The tank has a flat bottom, and those outlets are up off the very bottom. So it is impossible to get all the water - or antifreeze - out. You have to tilt the rig down in front to get most of the juice out.
That's how mine is too. I installed a new 12 gallon in my 13 Scamp and it will be pretty tight to install the drain and water pump.