What is this: W/S/E 30/50 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
What is this: W/S/E 30/50

Hi,
We see these letters on camper web sites and figured out the W is water, the E is electrical, the numbers are amps, but what is the S???

Thanks!
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Sewer?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
w = water
s= sewer
e = electricity
30 and 50 define the amount of current available at the site.
30 = 30 amp service (normal for most small rigs)
50 = 50 amp service (normal for large motorhomes)

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

California
Thanks! Never would have thought of sewer!

I guess that means you don't go to a dumping station if you have a sewer hookup?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Correct.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
sometimes it will say-"full hookups"- same thing as w/s/e- just be careful on the electric, although you can hook up at a 50 amp site, they will normally charge more thinking you will use more electric, so try to get a 30 amp site or make sure they do not charge you extra for the unused 20 amps. Some KOA's charge more for 50 amp, but when I say I only need 30 they give me the lower price, some of the 50's lots are real nice and big.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

California
Thanks for the info, guys!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I've noticed that sites with sewer have such big rigs parked there that it looks like a parking lot with one rv right next to another all humming with televisions, air conditioners, bright lights, etc. Seems fewer hookups mean more quiet and nature.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I've noticed that sites with sewer have such big rigs parked there that it looks like a parking lot with one rv right next to another all humming with televisions, air conditioners, bright lights, etc. Seems fewer hookups mean more quiet and nature.
I think that depends on where you go. One place I like to camp with full hooks is always trying to get me to camp down with the popups, tents, etc. basically because of my size. No way... all the kids and dogs! I want to be with full hookups with the big guys. It's perfectly quiet. The only time I ever see anyone is when they're out moving their satellite dish or to walk FiFi.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

Hey, good point!! On the other hand, we might not be welcome neighbors -- we want our campfire and have a kid and a dog.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Florida
Children, dogs and big rigs.

We rarely see children in campgrounds because we travel mainly during the school year. It's principal benefit is less crowded campgrounds, not the absence of children.

Generally dogs are not a bother because most campers have trained their dogs relatively well, though I'm often surprised to see people traveling with multiple (non-show) dogs.

As to parking with the big boys, they're always curious about our little rigs, and usually surprised when they get inside. Sometimes I think their a little envious of the simplicity of our lives. Big Rig People are forever asking us what we do when it rains, "afraid we're going stir crazy". Obviously people without imagination.

Children/no children, dogs/no dogs, big rigs/little rigs - not much can impinge on two happy retired folks traveling about seeing North America. After all when you're in a traditional house, it's not so easy to move, with your little rig you can pack up and clear out in ten minutes to a 'new' beautiful place.

Norm
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to parking with the big boys, they're always curious about our little rigs, and usually surprised when they get inside. Sometimes I think their a little envious of the simplicity of our lives.
Norm my experence has been the same - often get asked by big rig folks if they can take a look inside. The big suprise for most of them is the bathroon/shower- they also get a chuckle out of the flat screen TV. Two things they did not expect to see in such a little trailer.

Your simplicity comment reminded me of a dry camping spot that I go to about once a year. One day I had a couple of the big rig folks coming over to ask me about my solar panel. Was a bit suprised when I realized by their questions that they had never considered using one before. A year later went back to the same spot and one of the same big rigs was there and the owner invited me to see his new solar system. His of course was a much bigger/fancier set up than mine.

I agree also with Donna that camping with the big rigs can be more peacefull than camping near tents - experence has taught me to avoid when possible camping next to sites with more than one tent pitched.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #13

We are big into peace and quiet, so are now going to try parking with the big rigs! We are older parents so are not amused at how some allow their children to run everywhere and yell at all hours. Last year one family thought it was funny to encourage junior to scream at the top of his lungs! We've had kids on bikes riding through our site at 6 a.m! Plenty without the slightest care about campground etiquette walking through our site because it was the shortest route to the loo -- us still in bed, our dog knows no one should be in our site so he barks, wakes little one... Since we have a kid, thought we were stuck camping by others with kids. No more! Thanks all!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #14

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Texas
Quote:
We are big into peace and quiet, so are now going to try parking with the big rigs! We are older parents so are not amused at how some allow their children to run everywhere and yell at all hours. Last year one family thought it was funny to encourage junior to scream at the top of his lungs! We've had kids on bikes riding through our site at 6 a.m! Plenty without the slightest care about campground etiquette walking through our site because it was the shortest route to the loo -- us still in bed, our dog knows no one should be in our site so he barks, wakes little one... Since we have a kid, thought we were stuck camping by others with kids. No more! Thanks all!
Most people love camping because of the P&P. (piece and quiet).
The big rigs are 50 amp,so they will charge you more. Not a solution.
I have a bright orange rope (home depot) I use for a property line when needed. I have no problem telling others kids that there out of line if it directly effects me or it disses me off so bad I cant help but say something.
Remember if the brain-dead parents don't say anything,the kid assumes its O.K. Its rare that there is problems with kids. Having raised six kids,its refreshing to hear campground laughter .Most are having a great time.
I have to remember I was kid once. I think most kids today raise themselves.
Think positive and enjoy your campouts.
Dennis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Last year one family thought it was funny to encourage junior to scream at the top of his lungs!

Was his name Mason? LOL!
We had a family in our Big Rig Park that allowed their son to run amuck! We truly didn't get many kids, but on occasion we had a few. Mostly well behaved, fun, kids. But Mason, hmmmmmm How do I say it, was a Brat!

Frankly cause his parents were twits! I reined him in (basically babysat him during their stay) It was a long 4 days, but I kept his screaming down to a indoor voice! LOL........ That is one of the things I kept telling him, use your indoor voice, as well as I put him to work around the park with me or my Dh.

Pitiful that I had to babysit, but it was for the better good of the whole place. And frankly the poor kid just wanted someone to pay attention to him. The minute they pulled in from their days visit to Glacier, I got on the golf cart and picked him up. He thought it was fun and it kept peace in the park for my other guest.

As for the who is right about which style of camping is best, well my theory is, it's what ever best suits the individual as well as the camping need for that trip.

And will say, having owned as well as stayed in many of a rv parks as well as more campgrounds than I could ever count, Big rig parks are much more quite than campgrounds. The exception would be at check out time. But other than that, people are pretty much quite, calm and friendly. Many times I have ended up making new friends and enjoying cocktails, dinner and great converstion with them.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #16

Wow, you were a lot kinder than I would be! This kid was about 2 and we were in Minnesota. Seriously, the parents encouraged him to scream and laughed every time he did so! They could be heard throughout the campgrounds. Thankfully they were not camping next to us. After an hour or so, no more screaming. If it had continued I would have complained to the campground host. Either they had not come to camp and were done disturbing the peace, or others did complain and they were asked to leave.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Camping with the big rigs

Rochester, WA
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_3179.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #18

Are there usually 15 or 20 amp receptacles alongside the 50 amp? I have a converter plug and we usually don't need much power. I suppose I could ask for a discount due to the lower power consumption, but I bet most parks would rather charge the full rate.

I'm thinking it would fit our family best to invest in some solar so we can camp in the trees, further from the loos and where there is no power, but until then hanging with the big rigs might be a good option. Then again, camping in the trees is not good for solar! Maybe we're ready to take the plunge and camp without power.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #19

Florida
Usually there is a pair of 20 amp outlets.

Norm