What is your "job" on a campout? Or do you share all tasks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
librarianocnj ,

Curious how do you walk your cat(s)?
Leash or do they follow along nicely?
Sounds like you have a podful of pets.
I love animals too.
I bought Madison a leash at Petco. And it's more like I follow her along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0731.jpg  
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #22

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Very cute on the kitty. We have a semi-similar arrangement with our Border. Great harness around the belly and a thick leash with secure big hardware. I'm not too? worried about her getting away but then she is a border collie sleek and fast. She chews through leashes and even our seatbelt out of protest I guess being left even for a small amount of time.

And yes I can see the cat taking you a walk. Great she/he will be walked rather than the kitty litter route. Litter boxes smell no matter how we try to be sanitary and cover up the smell. Reminds me of Fred! Wonderful cat that thought she was Sheltie too.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #23
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We pretty much split all chores. I haven't backed up the camper yet but want to learn. I help with connections and leveling. I do all the cooking as I enjoy that. As far as waste tanks go, I do that too. Hubby will occasionally do that but I do that the majority of the time.

We are dog lovers and currently don't have any as our last one passed away about 3 years ago. We'll get another one though when we're ready and hopefully will travel with us. Last spring we were at a beach campground and had a tent setup next to us that consisted of two families and 3 dogs. The dogs barked continually from the time they got there to the time they left. I was never so happy to see them leave! Most of the time we see dogs that are very well behaved travelers.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #24

Tennessee
Bryan wow! You are a great spouse.

Mine well very sweet but let me drive his new Tundra probably not.

I do watch his movements like a hawk in case I should have to pull. I watch him struggle to get hitched and wrestle with our Anderson. I think I might be able to handle it should some emergency happen. I do assist him with parts of the process.

He will probably outlast me, he is in better health. I have artery problems even with many stints and could go quickly with a widower maker that couldn't be fixed short of an open heart.

I did tell him to tell his next wife that I expect her to take care of my share of the Oliver. And that his passed wife was the best HA! He claims he will sell the camper but I doubt that seriously. Claims he won't get married again. Yes, he will. He loves company.

Great husband Bryan! Your wife must really appreciate you!
Like your name. It's my brother's only mom spelled it Brian.
Got called "brain" in school.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #25

Tennessee
Jan,

You might want to opt for a smaller dog. I have always had medium to large but a smaller dog sure would be easier to keep up with. You could train it day one to be a nice quiet camper.

I like a dog with "prick" ears, medium to long coat, and a plume tale that goes over the but*

Basically a mini, mini, mini Border. (there isn't such a thing).

I like Poms but their coat sheds a bunch and they would be hot in the sun.

A Pap might be great like our fellow dog lover and cat lover poster has.

Not into toy poodles or chis personally. Poos do have an advantage having hair and not fur however. Easy to care for. And great in a puppy cut not that silly show cut.

We did have miniature Poodles when I was a kid. Smart as whips just like our Border.

I would like to have a tiny "Poo-mix" (not a maltese mix) my mom had 2 when I grew up and was already gone from their house. Not into them. Her's were squeaky yappy.

But everyone has their favorite breed and mix.

These mixes cost a fortune which is silly. They are mutts or 1/2 breeds.

We paid a fortune for our pair of Scotties. Our male out survived the female. He was our Border's pal even tho. he was too old to frap. Both lived a very long lives for Scottish Terriers.

So you and I both have points to maul over getting our pups/doggies acclimated. Be prepared to be a doggy parent as part of your "job." But an enjoyable one! I love them all! I stop people in the campgrounds and ask them about their doggies. I miss Mabel Lean and wonder how she is doing at the "doggy resort."

Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #26
JBB

South Carolina
Thanks for the tips! We've always had medium to large dogs, but our daughters have always had small dogs, and I can see the advantage even though 1 boards her dogs when she travels and our other daughter travels with her 2.

Currently we have a small parrot (my avatar) that is a well seasoned traveler of 19 years. We've had him since he was a baby so riding in a vehicle is nothing new. He loves looking out the windows at the passing cars and sometimes says "hey!" to them. He has not camped with us as our other camper was too small and I do have a regular bird sitter. So after we pick up our Snoozy we plan on doing a couple short trips to see how it goes. Time will tell!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #27

Tennessee
Wink Another doggy thread

We must have inspired someone to start a new thread.
You may want to check it out and add your comments or get tips.

Traveling with our dog

Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #28

Tennessee
JBB,

How neat! A birdy! Good idea. My gramma had a Parakeet she just loved.

We had a Lhasa that could say "rock and roll" and "doo doo".
Never could get our Cairn or the Scotties to talk.
Mabel just looks at us like you can't be serious!

Our Scotties had very, very short leggies but they were really medium dogs.

Going to have to go much smaller for a pocket doggy next time. I guess I can get used to their mini-sized.

Poms sound like bigger dogs but they do have thick coats and wouldn't make for hot weather camping.

The Paps sound neat. Wondering how much they cost?
They have hair.

Oh saw a campground owner with a Cav King Charles.
Hard to come by and expensive for a well bred one. She was very sweet and a quiet pupper.

Could get a pound pup but it's hard to know their adult size.
An adult dog may have "issues" and may not be a happy camper right off.

One doggy rule at a time currently in effect.
Doggy Drs. charge more than people Drs at least it seems like it.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #29

Tennessee
JBB,

Let us know how the porta' birdy goes on camping.
Should be real neat!

Does it come when it is "called?"

Are there birdy leashes?

My gramma's para would come when called and loved perching on her shoulder and fingers. Lived a good long life. Much company for her!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Why would a dog be afraid of metal steps? Why would a carpet help?

There was a thread on electrical grounding problems recently, the symptoms were tingling when touching the the frame, standing on the ground, especially barefoot. Your pets go barefoot all the time, don't they? Get barefoot and test for it, or measure. Animals learn quickly and remember. Just a thought.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #31
JBB

South Carolina
Oliver Elite 2

Skittles pretty much plays on his pen or likes the people view of the world! He doesn't fly; never learned, so he walks everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0658.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Frankie (The runt of the litte)r is scared of everything. He got so scared of his tags hitting his metal dog bowl that he would not eat. We had to buy him a silicone bowl. Metal steps terrified him. With a rug, no problem.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I had a pop-up with a metal step this was an issue for my dog at the time and a carpet on the step solved the issue. I always though the holes in the step worried the dog getting its nails caught.

As to the original post: When we are camping I have no job since I don't get paid. But I seem to have a never ending list of chores to be done. Some self induced and some as directed by the head of the household, but all are by choice and not by forced conscription. I seem far busier when camping than a weekend at home.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #34

Tennessee
Thank you Paul O!

I will get the resident EE PE and his meter on this one. Never thought of that. She did have her front feet on the first metal step and her hind feet were on the ground. Great idea! Thank you very much for this!

She did balk when we tried her in the indoor storage for her very first introduction. Nothing was plugged in a wall socket (except I guess the batteries charged by our solar panels?)

It could be just her problem with new situations. We don't have steps on our house I don't think she has ever climbed any. She leaps like gazelle into the 4 Runner and 4 wheel drive Tundra clearing both hatches like an agility dog touching nothing. Impressive vertical leaps can do 5 ft. easy. Jumped over our 4 ft fence 2 times to "greet" someone walking along our street. She herded him and circled. Poor guy had to be rescued by my DH. The other time she jumped our shared fence with our neighbors to visit with the 2 doggies next door.

The problem with Border Collies is they are people pleasers and stay attached to their humans like Velcro. This is bred into them for working sheep in partnership with their shepherd. Live an learn! A most unusual breed to say the least.

She runs as fast as a greyhound and her shape resembles one. She has made up her own game of "Run Forrest Run" as she goes back and forth along our chainlinked back fence row full speed from one side to another. There is no way we can even begin to chase her down. Never clocked her but the rate must be up there. Why we don't dare let her off harness and strong lead when not in the fence. One of her nicknames is "slinky" as her body is as sleek and limber as one. Have to grab her collar before opening the gate.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #35

Tennessee
Hi Steve. Our Oliver has "solid" aluminum steps with no holes. Has those glued on step mats and also we put runners on them too. Never thought of carpet.

And the word "job" is in jest. You are right. I guess I should have named it tasks. We are retired too (looking up to the sky and thanking Him). Never thought I would live this long given my inherited artery condition.

Camping? Not a job or even task. Just JOY and celebration we can be free out in nature and enjoy creation.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #36

Tennessee
Bird Walkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Oliver Elite 2

Skittles pretty much plays on his pen or likes the people view of the world! He doesn't fly; never learned, so he walks everywhere!
Skittles CUTE name! Love it. Wonder why he never has flown? Short wings? or No momma birdy to show him how? Did you raise him from an egg?

Such a lovely group of coloration. Hope you can show him off to the world. People will adore him.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #37

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Who does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Everything my wife can't or doesn't want to do.
A little background...I have 35 years experience living on small sail boats with my wife. After a couple of years cruising abroad you start to see the results of not splitting the chores equitably. In a board the Capt'n (man) has a 21st century navigation station, he does the steering and makes the decisions. Hello Captn Bligh! The galley slave (woman) works in a 17th century galley. And yup there are mutinies. She goes home and he's sitting on the boat by himself.

All of this has parallels in RV'ing. We now try not to have 'pink jobs' and 'blue jobs'. Sometimes it's nice not to be responsible for every decision!!!
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #38

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Job

I do everything that the voices in my wife's head tells me to do.
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #39
JBB

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Skittles CUTE name! Love it. Wonder why he never has flown? Short wings? or No momma birdy to show him how? Did you raise him from an egg?

Such a lovely group of coloration. Hope you can show him off to the world. People will adore him.
He's a normal full grown parrot. I got him from a breeder at 12 weeks old, after she weened him from hand feeding. I guess he figured there was no reason for him to learn to fly as he's sitting with us or playing at his cage. Yes, he's a 19 year old spoiled bird! LOL
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #40

Tennessee
Burro, I like pink. Pink is good. I also like blue (one of our inside and outside colors I picked.) He leaves the "interior and exterior design" to me. Believe me I would rather be pink! I am glad I am pink. I have had to be far too "responsible" in my professional life and have no desire to spend retirement in a "leadership" role. The most mmm interesting quality about being married to an electric engineer PE and a son of an Industrial (first child) is he is maddening correct almost 99% right all the time. I do claim my 1% when it is really important. My dear sweet mother-in-law now in Heaven I MISS HER! Saying is, "What is it worth?" Meaning let stuff go unless it is very, very important (like a car about to hit us) before saying much.

It's not worth it to fuss. I have to say tho. I do a terrific passive-aggressive "silent treatment" when the captain of our hulled ship goes a bit too far. Eventually he gets it. It sounds as if all of us have been blessed to marry our best friends. Looking above thank you! Thank you for posting bet your wife is thrilled you are captain. I know I am. Paul has much to say about this. I don't want to have any responsibility if things go wacky. I am happily in the support role.