What is your worst camping story??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2003, 06:33 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What is your worst camping story???

Now I just read Charles's story regarding the 2 jerks next to him camping without wanting to turn off their generators during quiet hours. Which to me (sorry Charles) I know it S&%ks to have it happen to you, but to a third party reading about it is in a way kind of funny. Like laughing at the kid who hits his dad with a ball in the privates while playing catch.

We all know it really is a drag while it is happening but you can laugh about it after the fact and when it is all over with.

My little story is not while I was camping but while me and Julie had our Grady White boat. Sit back and I will try to make it short.

We went to Block Island where it is like a mini vacation to us because we would only spend one night. Well when we got there and when we tried to moore up we found that they were not running the moorings because it was late in the year. So we decied to try and pull into a slip at the dock. Fine well of course there was a bar just about over our heads and thinking how it was late in the year there wouldn't be many people going to the bar. Guess what come around 1 pm we woke up to a big uproar of drunkers talking and laughing and just having a grand old time. Well being that there was no quiet hours we just delt with it and come morning we left. Yes it was a bit rough but at the same time I can totally laugh at it now.

So what is your horror story for camping?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:57 AM   #2

All in one weekend

Thursday night. We arrive after dark, pitch tent, clothes and gear into tent, food stays in car. We join friends for several cold ones around campfire. Later, we hear some critters fussin' off in the distance. I laugh and say it's probably some fool left food in their tent. My wife asks what I did with the bag containing the two loaves of fresh Panera bread. What bag, I ask. The one with my sweater on top, she answers. I sprint for our site, only to find that the local raccoons have slit open the side of the tent and had a picnic in and all around it, as evidenced by the vast spread of breadcrumbs.

Friday night. My wife and I are awakened by my daughter scrambling over us in order to reach the door of the tent. Before she makes it, the Cheetos and Faygo redpop that she had consumed earlier make a reappearance. All of our bedding gets removed, we wipe down the tent as best as possible, borrow a couple of blankets, and get back to sleep.

Half of Saturday was spent at the coin laundry in town, only place with a washer big enough to fit our bags and pads. Bought and used some Lysol spray in the tent. Smell is mostly gone, we figure we can live with it until we get home to give everything a really good cleaning and airing.

Saturday night. We are awakened by the flash of lightning and the crack of thunder. As the skies open up, we realize the Lysol must have adversely affected the waterproofing of our tent, and that the rainwater appears to be reactivating the odor. Our sleeping pads became little islands, and we had to rig a towel to stop the dripping on our faces. But we stuck it out.

Believe it or not, we actually tent camped (with a new tent) for a couple more years before going 'glass this summer. Which reminds me, did I tell you the one about our tent camping last July in the Arkansas Ozarks with the chiggers and the 95 degree heat with the daily thunderstorms and the.....

Old 07-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #3

That reminds me-
at Blackwell lake for the week-end. with the youngest kids (about 6 and 8). rain coming so add an extra tie down or two. no big deal, it always rains when I camp. turns in to a storm with terrible wind and pounding rain. tent stayed put thanks to the extra tie downs ,but I was thinking ''what was I thinking, out here with these little children in a storm.'' about that time the tent rattled a little extra and the older boy crawls in. he had been driving around in the mess. He was worried about us. now wasn't that sweet. :) crazy but sweet. so crazy runs in the family.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:22 PM   #4

Even my worst camping story is better than my best stay-at-home story.

Well, on second thought, I guess there was that one time Pam surprized me at the front door of our house dressed in .....

Naw, I'm not going there.

As far as camping stories ... there was that time I camped next to a nice enough couple but their dog kept licking my knee.

Once I got over having a wet knee, I actually kinda enjoyed it.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:47 PM   #5

Now I remeber.. I was tent camping by myself in Anza Borrego Desert, Southern California in December. After hiking and exploring all day i drove into town to do laundry. While I was there a storm kicked up and I thought what a great time to do laundry. I'll just stay here as long as possible. When I got back to camp, after dark, pouring rain, I pulled into my campsite...No Tent! Gone! I thought I could sleep in the car, but the sleeping bag was in the tent. I had a flashlight so I thought I should at least look for it. I walked as far as I could and still see lights from the campground. Just as I was going to give up I found it. It was a free standing dome tent so it rolled pretty good. I thought I had it tied down pretty good too, but I guess not. I opened it up to see the extent of the damage. Shined the flashlight inside and, you'll never guess, the tent was filled with a giant tumbleweed. Well, this can't be good. The floor had been torn and I guess it landed on a tumbleweed and picked it up. Took the tumbleweed out, carried the tent back to camp. Stayed in it two more days. Got the floor replaced and patched holes in the rainfly. North face used to have an excellant repair service. Used the tent another ten years.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #6

Worst experience I can remember...

My worst experience happened quite a few years ago. We were tent camping in a national forest not to be named. There was no one else nearby. About dusk a beat-up jeep full of local boys roared in and skidded to a stop. Three guys. One of them straggled over, obviously well lubricated, and began to yack about his first kid, born that very day, his evil looking friends who were giving me the eye from the jeep, and how they had gone out to "celebrate." He said he was a forest ranger, off duty (yeah, right!) and offered me his wallet so I could find his ID if I wanted. I didn't want. He said his name was "Snake" and everybody knew him. I said we didn't want any trouble and what could I do for him and the "boys." He said he wanted me to unload my revolver as I shouldn't have it loaded in a camp area. I told him (very sweetly!) that I was licensed and that the camp was an unimproved site and therefore exempt from such regulations. I said I hoped he wouldn't insist. I kept looking over his shoulder at the guy in the back seat of the open jeep. He was hunched over and appeared to be holding something in his hands out of sight. He was really a foul looking dude and looked completely wasted. Finally Snake said they were going but he hoped I would be careful with my gun. I promised him I would be and congratulated him on his new son. They roared out and the guy in back watched me the whole 1/4 mile it took them to get out of sight. Then we heard them on the road out, which wound around and crossed right above camp and about a hundred yards away across a creek, high up, but invisible through the trees. Then I heard the jeep screech to a stop just above our camp. I said to my wife that we should put some big trees that ringed our camp between us and the road. After a few seconds the jeep took off again and we could breathe again.

The next day I reported the incident to the ranger station and went so far as to mention "impersonating a federal officer." They were totally bored and, since I hadn't gotten the plate number on the jeep, nothing came of it. I was angry, but grateful enough that no one had gotten hurt that I let it drop, even though I probably shouldn't have. In all the years since, we have never once laid eyes on Snake and his friends again. I think I would remember them.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #7

Beware!

Of large RV's pulling their own full sized refrigerator, entering camp after 9 PM and camping right below your campsite! With muzzled loose running dogs! Thank heavens the dogs had muzzles. Our poor little Suki (a 14 year old dachshund) came out in one piece due to the muzzle. We discovered the joy of a hike at 10 PM, the next night, to escape the noise of kids, dogs and adults. The hike was beautiful, even if it was late at night.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #8

Mark M.

That is B R U T A L .

I had your post 3 or 4 times...and I still stare at it in disbelief!

It's amazing you didn't totally lose control. I surely would have.

:wave

Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 AM   #9

Once when we were first married (25+ years ago), we were tent camping in the Maroon Bells in CO. We were in a secluded spot high up in the mts. It was VERY cold. I was a little afraid to be camping away from everyone and with the bears. I was sure we would be eaten. Anyway, my husband convinced me that I would be warmest sleeping in our down sleeping bags if I slept naked. In the middle of the night, I had to go to the bathroom and I had to go quickly so this meant not taking time to put on clothing. I was afraid to go out by myself so I woke up Mike to make him go with me. I unzipped the tent and stepped out into the moonlit night and there, right in front of the door was a huge lump of a thing. It jumped, I screamed and knocked Mike over on my way back into the tent. We all ended up in a pile. It was my brother-in-law! He had surprised us and hiked in late at night and didn't want to disturb us. We both got to know each other a LOT more that night! :r

Nancy

Old 07-22-2003, 12:42 AM   #10

Scary stories

Wow! You all have had some bad stuff happen. Yikes!

My worst experience (other than waking up in 6" of water, doing a 180 on the freeway with the trailer, and camping next to a group that sang Puff the Magic Dragon in several languages for HOURS one night) was in our Airstream trailer. This was a 33' International I think. I was 15 and I was left alone to babysit my 2 year old sister while my parents ran some errands with my brother. Sudden windstorms are common in Utah, where I grew up and where we were camping. The awning on the trailer was fully extended when a severe windstorm swept through. The awning poles bent like straws, wrapping the awning back over the top of the trailer. There was nothing I could do but hustle Rebecca into the trailer. As the awning flapped in the gusts of wind, the heavy metal awning box slammed into the top of the trailer. The trailer was rocking wildly side to side, feeling as if it would go over the next time the awning caught the wind, then rocking back as the awning slammed into it. I decided that avoiding windows was a good idea, but there was only one spot that was not near a window. I spent a very scary 45 minutes huddled between the twin beds trying to calm a frightened little girl and wondering if someone's lawn furniture would end up through our window.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:33 AM   #11

worst stories...

I would have to say that Mark M's is the worst so far, but I am curious if anyone has had any REALLY bad ones. Maybe like Robert's, but where the guys DIDN'T leave? You don't have to tell it, but we often hear about horror stories happening to campers, I was just wondering if they are as rare as they seem, or not. That is, of course our worst fears. I myself was staying in a place in Canada, in the middle of nowhere. I was 17, and my dad was working on this dam. There was an abandoned house there that the power co. owned in real good shape, and I had just moved into it (it had electricity) from a 8x12 tent that we also set up that I started out in. Some friends of ours were also camped there, but they were in town for the weekend. Late in the evening, (or early morning) the dogs started barking and I got up to see. 2 guys, drove in, were drunk, and got out of their car and went to check out the tent and the friends camper. by then the dogs were going balistic (thank god. they were a big mutt and a small poodle) they came up to check out the house, and knocked on it, to antagonize the dogs. Finally they left and drove up the road. I was relieved, but I knew where that road dead ended, and you had to come back the same way. They never stopped on the way back, but I learned that there are things alot scarier then bears in them there woods. I'll take a bear over the two leggeds anytime. And I have a bear story to compare it to, so I know. The bear just came into camp and stole some molasses cookies I forgot about. I hope you dont have too many bad stories. For the most part, it is very enjoyable.

Old 07-25-2003, 08:38 AM   #12

Not worst but my favorite.

Back when I was doing a lot of motorcycle camping I stopped at a Forest Service campground on a river in Arkansas. It was early in the afternoon so after I got setup I wandered around exploring and visiting with other campers. Discovered I was the only one in the campground that wasn't retired and there to fish. Early in the evening a pickup truck truck containing two well lubricated young men arrived.

They picked a site, got out of the truck, sat a radio on the hood turned it to full volume and proceeded to set up their tent.

One of the older fisherman hobbled down to their camp site and ask them if they would please turn down the radio. H... no its a free country and I can play my ....... radio as loud as i D... well well want to was the response. With a shrug of his shoulders the fisherman went back to his campsite.

Time passed and the radio sat on the hood of the pickup playing at full volume. Suddenly there was a loud report that sounded exactly like a gunshot followed by silence broken only by echoes.

One of the young men picked the radio off the ground to show his friend that the center of the radio seemed to have disappeared. They discussed that for a few seconds and seemed to decide that they really didn't like their camp site. They broke camp, loaded the pickup and were gone with record breaking speed.

:m

Old 07-25-2003, 08:56 AM   #13

Safety in camping

I would have to say, considering the many, many days my wife and I have spent camping in out of the way places, that camping is probably just about the safest thing you can do. On the other hand, I will never, ever, be without the means to protect myself and my loved ones in those rare instances when bad things can happen. I agree with Deb: bears are easy; the worst varmints in the woods don't have four legs. In most of the places we most enjoy being, 911 doesn't cut it. You are responsible for yourself, and those who depend on you. Those who take this seriously and prepare accordingly are wise, the others are victims-in-waiting.

Old 07-26-2003, 12:57 AM   #14

Besides the neighbors from hell I mentioned in another post... 6 of my friends and I went camping in the Poconos... you know... the land where if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change... well, we all had our own tents, mine was a small two person blue thing and I had a small tarp over the top of it, and extending out over the front, sort of like a mini-porch. We left to go visit other friends at the campsite next to us and the sky opened up... I noticed a few minutes into the storm my lantern had gone out and I made a comment like really raining hard... drowned my lantern... after an hour or so of cocktails and the rain subsiding I returned to what was left of my tent. The tarp must have had a small sag, which turned it into a pond, which collapsed on my tent flooding everything... all my clothes for the weekend, bedding, food, etc... By Sunday I had mold growing on my feet...

The most embarrassing was when I was 14... I went camping with my family, and we had set up behind our tent a makeshift room from rope and beach towels where our porta potty was. I woke up one morning and did what you have to do... I remember thinking mmmmmmm.. bacon... the camp next to us was cooking bacon. I got done, stood up, turned around to see the entire family next to us sitting at their picnic table not 20 feet from where the fallen beach towels that made the walls of the makeshift room lay... all four of my cheeks were red for days :omy