What kind of portable gas fire pit to buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I know there are places where these are really nice... but it just seems like a waste of natural resources to me. I'd rather have a real campfire if I have one at all.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The connection that the Fire Dancer comes with is for a standard propane tank so you should not need ato buy any different connection unless you want to attach the hose to one of the real small throw away propane containers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a Fire Dancer and it gets used frequently. Its perfectly safe under an awning and, as other have mentioned, it is easy to light up in the morning.. no muss, no fuss, no bother.

I run mine in the yard at night when I let my pups out to.. play, yeah, thats it, play. I sit by the fire and keep watch. 5 mins or so, I am done, turn it off and go back inside without worry.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #24

Name: Brent
Trailer: Fith Wheel
Alaska
Little red campfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
We have one of these and really like it. But the logs are fragile so be careful with them. I think the price has dropped a bit recently. It's great for marshmallows and it does a great job heating a Firstup canopy.

Regards,

Matt

I just bought one and can not get the regulator to keep from freezing up. Anyone else having this problem... With the OPD I just can"t believe it is from overfilling? Runs great for 5-10 min then freezes up and no fire...
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #25

Name: Brent
Trailer: Fith Wheel
Alaska
I just bought a "Little Red Campfire" and am having a problem with the regulator freezing. At first I thought it was an over filled bottle but then with the OPD tank I am not sure. Has anyone else had this problem? Runs great for about 5-10 min then the hose and regulator frosts up and not fire...
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Have you used this tank before ?

It sure sounds like you are bringing liquid to the regulator.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
I just bought a "Little Red Campfire" and am having a problem with the regulator freezing. At first I thought it was an over filled bottle but then with the OPD tank I am not sure. Has anyone else had this problem? Runs great for about 5-10 min then the hose and regulator frosts up and not fire...
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #27

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Try wrapping (draping) a towel over/around the reg. That SHOULD help with the freeze up issue.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Try wrapping (draping) a towel over/around the reg. That SHOULD help with the freeze up issue.
Or, if it wasn't properly purged you may be have moisture in the lines causing the regulator to freeze up.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The fire dancer comes with a 10ft hose, which isn't quite long enough for where I'd want to place it. Will adding another 5-10 ft of hose affect the performance?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
I know there are places where these are really nice... but it just seems like a waste of natural resources to me. I'd rather have a real campfire if I have one at all.
That's what I was thinking, too, Scott, but I guess a lot of people must camp where you have to buy wood (which could be green and not burnable, that's happened to us) and or where it is otherwise a big hassle.

We usually camp in non-campgrounds -- wilderness areas we know really close to home or on the way. We bring some seasoned wood in the truck, and pick up kindling by the armload right near the Boler, and use a bit of paper or some parafin firestarter, and volia! Instant fire. Kid was taught how to do a one-match fire age 7 or so.

But we are talking about places where big rocks are close by, along the river or shore, for the fire ring, and loads of dried kindling and chunks of cedar are handy to make a fire.

I guess not everyone has a gravel road to nowhere, but you still want to sit around a flame and watch the fire dance and talk.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
From what I understand, Quartsite... and the like... is a good place to use a propane fireplace. Wood is very expensive. Too, once you fire off wood it burns for quite a while. Sometimes you only want/need a fire for 30 minutes or so. Propane would satisfy that need.

Isn't it nice to be able to make personal choices?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlynnT View Post
I guess not everyone has a gravel road to nowhere, but you still want to sit around a flame and watch the fire dance and talk.
We actually do have a lot of gravel roads to no where but over the past few years the fire hazard rating in our province and Washington State has been such that a camp fire ban is in effect for a better part of the summer and often early fall.

Even when there is no ban the price of the wood has gotten pretty high. Suspect they would rather we not burn wood at all due to the enviornmental issues. Here if you build a new home you are not permitted to put a wood burning fire place in it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote