What Options Should I add to my Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
No the rod holders don't leak. But the rivets go through a hole in the shell, and ANY hole in the shell has the potential to leak. Granted, not as much potential for a hole in the side as a hole in the roof, but why make unneeded holes? I have no holes in the shell for the rod holders, and yet I still have a full set of curtains hanging from rods (well, except for the front window because I prefer the gravel guard to a curtain there.) Fewer snap caps on the outside also makes it a little easier to wash and wax, and means fewer caps to replace as they age. We have done this dance before.. I still dance my steps. YMMV
So there is a need to be paranoid about rivets... got it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg_76 View Post
Thanks All for you replies.

We're in the Pacific Northwest, so I think generally we should be okay without an A/C unless we venture into hotter territory. I guess it does depend on our ambitions, which we're still working on.
Not necessarily! Its where you end up camping, not where you live. We lived in the Pacific Northwest for 13 years, and had a camper we used a lot. We lived on the wet side of the Cascades, SE of Seattle.

While we certainly did not need air conditioning where we lived, we needed when we camped. Part of our camping was to escape the rain. So we headed over the mountains, and we camped in eastern WA. So we used our air conditioner a lot. Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington get plenty hot in the summer. Then you might travel further: Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and more. I can tell you, you will need air conditioning in those areas. And who would you rather have install an AC on your trailer, Scamp, or some RV dealer who knows nothing about molded fiberglass trailers.

We still boondocked a lot too! In those cases, we stayed in the mountains, where AC was not needed. Having an AC does not make boon docking harder, it just gives you the option of having AC when you do have power.

We also used our AC trailer for the couple of hot weeks we would get at our home outside Seattle. It was not worth the expense to AC our 1907 home, but it was sure nice having the trailer for those handful of hot days.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We had our new Scamp16 Deluxe prepared for AC (I.e. roof braced and wires run) but did not install the standard taller Scamp 13,000 btu AC.

If we ever install a roof-mounted AC, it will be a lower profile ~9,000 btu unit.

Most of the time, we go to more northern locations in the summer and more southern locations in the winter. So .... little need for AC in those situations.

In the past, when we have made multi-day trips to more hot and humid locations, we put a 5,000 btu Frigidaire window AC in the back-left window of the Scamp. We can't/don't travel with the window AC there, but a one time setup for multiple days of cool isn't too bad. With the window glass and the screen slid over to the right, there is about a 17" wide opening that nicely accommodates the 5,000 btu window AC. It keeps us plenty cool in even the hottest and most humid conditions. (We are usually outside most of the time anyway .... except for sleeping. Nighttime air is generally a bit cooler and with a top-mounted fan and maybe a small fan on the counter we usually do fine.

Of course, each person and camping situation can be different so YMMV.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp