What Options Should I add to my Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16' - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon
What Options Should I add to my Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16'

Hi Everyone,

We've narrowed down what we want to a Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16'. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Honda Odyssey. We're going to get the standard option package. On top of that, we are adding:

* roof fan (foregoing the A/C due to weight concerns, but will have it A/C ready)
* 3.7 cubic foot fridge upgrade
* furnace
* receiver bike racks

Can any Scamp owners recommend a must have that I don't have covered? We are a family of 4.

Thank you,

Tom
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
I would not buy a trailer without A/C . If your tow vehicle is so close to it's tow limit that a 90 lb A/C is a concern then I would look for a different TV. My 16 ft Scamp standard weighed around 2650 lbs when loaded for travel and that weight included an A/C.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Think about lights... How many and where!
Think about 110V outlets... How many and where!
Think about 12V outlets... How many and where!
Think about porch lights on three sides.
Think about extra taillights up high.
Ask about 14" wheels if you want them
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Tom,
Good choice! I think you'll be happy with your Scamp. We had a 13' with A/C and we hardly used the A/C. When we bought our 16, we left it off. If we lived down South, it would have been a no-brainer. We typically spend 2-3 months a year in FL, but go in Winter, and tend to stay North in warmer weather. Your Maxx Fan is a 90% solution IMHO. I believe all Scamps are now built "A/C ready", but check to be sure.

The 16' Scamp sits higher than our 13' did and we ordered the step. You can get a small step stool, but it's just one more thing to carry. We also love our awning. Again, you can pack a portable shelter, but the awning is always with you. It doesn't use precious space in your tow vehicle. The Fiamma awning is well made and easy to deploy.

Floyd covered the electrical options, just want to add that the outside 110 VAC outlet is a must. We use it for outdoor cooking (induction oven) almost every day when in a campground. Also, a reading light located just inside the entrance is very helpful when returning to a dark trailer at night. Lights and outlets add very little cost or weight to the Scamp in the scheme of things.

Remember, with the long wait times for a new Scamp, you can always add or subtract options until a couple months before your pick-up date. They are used to that. You'll have plenty of time for research and decision making before then.

Congratulations on your choice! The fun is just beginning.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would do a delete on the factory sewer hose holder- ugly, unnecessary holes in the shell, and too small. Mounting a DIY holder on top of the bumper or under the rear frame is a much better alternative in my opinion.

I agree with your A/C thinking. Assuming the hole and wiring are in place along with the roof reinforcement, adding it later is easy if your needs change. If you go very far east of the Rockies in summer, you may want it then.

Carrying bikes on the back is problematic. It can be done, but I'd seriously consider alternatives. If there's room behind the middle row, a fork mount system in the van would be best, again- my opinion.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Kim
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
We just sold our 5th wheel scamp (and sorry to see it go) We camped everywhere and the AC was an absolute must. You should add more outlets on the interior. At least 4 more. We towed ours with an F150 6 cylinder truck long bed and had absolutely no problems. I also agree with removing the darn sewer holding tube, it is a huge waste of space.
Happy Trails to you
krichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg_76 View Post
Hi Everyone,

We've narrowed down what we want to a Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16'. Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Honda Odyssey. We're going to get the standard option package. On top of that, we are adding:

* roof fan (foregoing the A/C due to weight concerns, but will have it A/C ready)
* 3.7 cubic foot fridge upgrade
* furnace
* receiver bike racks

Can any Scamp owners recommend a must have that I don't have covered? We are a family of 4.

Thank you,

Tom

Tom,

A lot of this has to do with your ambitions. Weekends in a 100-mile radius? Yellowstone with the kids for two weeks? A jaunt along the east coast?

If you have designs on eastern Oregon or Washington, perhaps Utah, Arizona and much of the west in the summer, AC can very be nice to have. Having the preparation sounds like a good idea which will give you flexibility to decide later.

As Floyd notes, this is the time to consider where and how many receptacles you might find useful.

Having AC also leads us to look for spaces with shore power, which sort of constrains the choices as America has "gone RVing" in record numbers again in recent years; spaces with power in the State Parks are tough to book on summer weekends.

There are some 12-volt fans that you might consider in lieu of AC at this time. I have a Hella marine fan that is expensive but works well. It seems I saw a recent post regarding a less expensive one that someone liked.

With that, you can start looking at boondocking, amperage draw, battery capacity, and solar... In the end, it all has to do with what your goals are. Getting started with something is a good way to get started...
Old 11-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would not buy a trailer without A/C . If your tow vehicle is so close to it's tow limit that a 90 lb A/C is a concern then I would look for a different TV. My 16 ft Scamp standard weighed around 2650 lbs when loaded for travel and that weight included an A/C.
Our three Odysseys had a tow capacity of 3500 lb. they handled our 2000 Scamp 16 deluxe with no problems. You should be good to go. You will need a high rise ball mount, and may want to get it to fit as close to the back bumper as possible by drilling a second hole through the shank. A sway bar is a good idea too. but NO Weight Distribution bars.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
We ordered ours with a group 27 battery and second propane tank. Good to have with the furnace.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

Oregon
Thanks All for you replies.

We're in the Pacific Northwest, so I think generally we should be okay without an A/C unless we venture into hotter territory. I guess it does depend on our ambitions, which we're still working on.

The electrical options at their cheap cost make a lot of sense, we're going to add those to whatever we get . Also really good to know about the perspectives on the sewer hose.

The step sounds like a great idea, and we're still on the fence about the awning. Do they hold up well over time?

Glad to see that there are other Odyssey's out there pulling Scamps!

Having said all this, we actually went camping this past weekend and stayed in what I would call a "studio" size cabin. My kids and I wake up early, whereas my wife, who when working works a swing shift, is on a later schedule. We realized it would be "nice to have" a table that my kids and I could use in the early morning that didn't double as the bed that my wife and I would be sleeping on. That got us into thinking the Scamp 16 won't work for us, and checking out the Scamp 5th wheel. That means we'd need a new tow vehicle and we'd be waiting an extra year before getting our Scamp.

The standard Scamp 5th wheel appears to have a lot of sleeping options, with the loft bed, the couch/bunks, and the table/bed.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have a 2015 Scamp 16 Layout 4.. about the same you are ordering. Everyone is different so what to add is a difficult question. I would like to suggest some deletes however.
  • Sewer hose holder. (add your own for a longer hose)
  • Escape vent (assuming you have the powered fan)
  • All curtain rod holders (too many holes in the shell, there are better ways to hang curtains)
  • Water heater and hot water piping (side bath is too small for many people to shower in, stove heats water fine for other things)
  • Bathroom vent / powered VanAir fan (if not showering, the vent is not very helpful and its a six inch hole with a lot of smaller screw holes also in the roof)
  • Awning (yes it is nice at times but not so nice that the cost and trouble is justified)

Most of my delete suggestions are made (at least in part) to reduce the likelihood of leaks. I have had a number of leaks so I have concluded that keeping the shell intact as much as possible is a good idea.

If you van is rated to tow 3500 lbs then you should be fine weight wise. Adding the AC later is a big project even with the A/C prep. So getting it now depends on where and when you plan to use the camper. Of course in ten years the gasket will probably start leaking.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #12

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New York
Vinyl Floor

I can't believe nobody mentioned this already... The vinyl floor is a MUST have in a Scamp and it is not standard equipment. If you don't order it, you will get carpet. As most campgrounds have non-paved sites, you will track a TON of dirt in to your Scamp. The vinyl is easy to clean, especially when you are out in the woods.
brettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
We wake up in shifts, too: me first, then the kids, then my wife.

Since we're camping, the place to be when you're awake is outside. Works for us because we generally only camp when and where it's warm and dry enough to be outside most of the time. We manage with 4 people in a 13' Scamp, and a 16' wouldn't be any different. Don't know about a 19'- with a curtain separating the loft, one person might be able to sleep late with the crew inside, but there's still not much sound isolation.

Agree about the vinyl floor, especially in the PNW.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #14

Oregon
Brett thanks for the vinyl floor suggestion. That is a must. Can't imagine how dirty our carpet would be after a day of camping.

Jon that's a good perspective about being outside. Where we were at this weekend it was 40F outside in the morning, too cold for me. My wife sleeps pretty good with sound so we don't so much need sound isolation, but we're more looking to have a table inside that I can play games with the kids while my wife is sleeping. Wife wants a bathroom so for the 16' we'd need layout 4, with no side dinette. Any chance a small fold up table and stool would fit in the Scamp 16'? We could use the couch and stool for seating and play games on a fold away table.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
My thought is to have your wife sleep on the lower front bunk. I sleep there, and it's snug but comfortable for an adult of average build. It makes a nice dark "cave" for a late sleeper. Then you and the kids could have the dinette and galley. It wouldn't be too hard to rig a curtain between the bathroom and closet.

We have experienced a few 40 degree mornings. Either a campfire or a brisk walk is the ticket for us. And hot drinks for all.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
What Options Should I add to my Standard Layout 4 Scamp 16'

We got used to the larger (54") bed in our standard 2014 Scamp13.
To get the 54" bed in a Scamp16, you need to get the Deluxe model.
Although they do not advertise it on their website, Scamp will substitute (at no additional cost) the front sofa/bunks for the usual front dinette that they put in a Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A. With that substitution, you will/would essentially have a Layout 4 with the larger bed and a nice oak/birch wood interior. (Talk to Wayne Pitlick at Scamp to see what options we put on ours.)

BTW - I weighed our Deluxe16-A when new and empty. The weight on the main axle was 2,000 pounds and the tongue weight (with dual propane tanks) was 250 pounds. I think that should be doable with your Odyssey.

Good luck with all your choices/decisions.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #17

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Tom, Our first Scamp was a 16' layout 4 back in 03 and, since 2010, a front bath D19 so some experience with the floor plans under consideration. Both worked well for us in our style of camping - public lands, no hookups, camper used only for sleeping, bathroom, shower, almost always outside for any other activities.

During the day, we're usually out hiking or exploring back roads. If we're in camp, we're cooking or sitting talking/reading/chilling. Both Scamps are/were just too small and the seating too uncomfortable for us to be inside. We almost always have the awning out (wouldn't be without it). If there's a chance of inclement weather, we have a quality screen room (Pahaque, but I'd look hard at the Clam if I were in the market).

We moved to Scamps after forty years of tenting but found the stock cushions even more uncomfortable for sleeping than our Thermarest pads and ended up with a custom mattress which meant the bed/dinette was in full time bed mode. If you're counting on the dinette area being a gathering place, make sure you're good with the factory cushions. Even if they work, I'd think the hassle of converting from bed to dinette each day would get old.

16' vs 19' - I've always owned a truck so didn't have the expense of switching tow vehicles. The 19' is actually older, an 01, than our 16 but it was owned by a friend and I knew its history. At 6'4", I couldn't stand upright anywhere in the 16' but have sufficient room in the front of the 19 and even in the shower. Towing the 16' was never a problem but the 19' is even better. Even though its just the two of us, we like the separation of the sleeping area from the rest of the camper. This would be a much greater positive if we had kids along. Additional storage - always welcome. Our 16' was a standard model, the 19' is a deluxe - we think the wood look is worth the additional cost.

We were at the Scamp factory last month and saw a fully loaded 19. What a beautiful camper!!!!! But, as you say, a year's wait. Have you considered pre-owned? This looks to be a very nice unit https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...000-waskish-mn

Good luck in your search.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The awning is a must where you live.
It also will last for decades if you keep it clean and put it away dry.
If you can't put it away dry you should deploy it to dry it off as soon as it is practical to do so. We have found that the best cleaning on the awning is done with a simple towel after a good rain (water being known as the universal solvent).
No need to be paranoid over leaks, curtain rod holders don't leak and curtains can provide a level of desirable privacy.
If you get the standard carpet then you could simply replace that portion on the main entrance level with any one of a variety of aftermarket flooring for less than the cost of the vinyl option. This leaves the comfort of carpet on the raised areas like the dinette area, while giving you the color and texture on the main flooring which suits your taste.
We installed oak look vinyl coated snap together flooring in about an hour and for under $30. It has proven durable and attractive for many years.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No need to be paranoid over leaks, curtain rod holders don't leak and curtains can provide a level of desirable privacy.
No the rod holders don't leak. But the rivets go through a hole in the shell, and ANY hole in the shell has the potential to leak. Granted, not as much potential for a hole in the side as a hole in the roof, but why make unneeded holes? I have no holes in the shell for the rod holders, and yet I still have a full set of curtains hanging from rods (well, except for the front window because I prefer the gravel guard to a curtain there.) Fewer snap caps on the outside also makes it a little easier to wash and wax, and means fewer caps to replace as they age. We have done this dance before.. I still dance my steps. YMMV
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
As Al mentioned, we have always found the stock Scamp cushions to be too
firm/hard for comfortable sleeping. Almost immediately after buying our new
Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A, we went to our local foam shop in KC and replaced
the stock Scamp foam with foam that is/was made up of 3 layers of foam that
was glued together and cut to the size of the original cushions/foam. We glued
1 inch of medium density foam (N36) on the top and bottom of 2 inches of
higher density (N44) foam. The result is a cushion that is firm enough for
sitting and much better for sleeping. See the following threads:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ess-79867.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hts-80298.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-81749.html

Rather than an awning, which was over three times the price, we use one
of the CLAM screen rooms (search YouTube for description and Amazon.com
for purchase) that provides protection from bugs as well as sun and rain.
With the privacy panels, the CLAM can also become an outdoor sleeping
space.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
20170420_183722.jpg  
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp