What Pickup Do You Recommend for a Scamp 19'er? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
You missed my point.
Missed it again.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
You missed my point.
GM lied and covered up for TEN years.
Toyota did the same for only THREE years.
Even NASA could find no mechanical or electrical reason for the sudden acceleration.
GM paid 35 million dollars for lying for 10 years and Toyota paid 1.2 Billion for lying less than 1/3 the time.
Obvious double standard.
I've driven Toyotas and a few Hondas for the last 40 years with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Your intentional bias was obvious and needed to be pointed out.
You cannot miss something that does not exist
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
You missed my point.
Even NASA could find no mechanical or electrical reason for the sudden acceleration.
GM paid 35 million dollars for lying for 10 years and Toyota paid 1.2 Billion for lying less than 1/3 the time.
Obvious double standard.
I've driven Toyotas and a few Hondas for the last 40 years with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
I am not allowed to point out the obvious, but let's just say that those huge fines share the same motivation as the billions in fines recently levied against other industries. The point is presently being missed by more than a few.
As for bias... the eastern rim cars have enjoyed an unfounded bias in their favor for decades.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #44

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
What I learned.....

HI Greg,

We picked up a new Scamp Deluxe 19 ft 5th wheel in fall of 2013 with most of the options, including the raised axle. I had bought a new 2013 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4wd, with the 3.6 liter V6 and 8-spd transmission, 3.21 rear axle ratio, earlier in the year thinking it was going to be a perfect match the Scamp we had ordered. Our plan was to spend last summer getting use to the combination, and then spend next summer in Alaska celebrating our retirement. However, the Alaska trip has been postponed because of the scheduled arrival of a new grandchild next summer, which we are happily looking forward to.

Since then we have pulled the Scamp about 20,000 miles, including trips from Wisconsin to Seattle and another from Wisconsin to Southern Utah. On the road I am averaging 17 mpg, usually driving a couple miles an hour below the posted speed limit for cars. This includes traveling over the Eisenhower pass in the Rockies, which is the highest pass on the interstate system, or so I have been told. The truck towed the trailer without any problems, most of the time using the trailer tow mode. We have spent 67 nights in our trailer so far and have had a great time.

The major problem I ran into was that the trailer scaled heavier than what we were told by Scamp. Your estimate of 3500 lbs for a deluxe loaded with options is about right with (in our case) about 650 lbs of that being on the hitch. That means that with all our necessary gear we are close to the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) for that truck and trailer. If I carried all the additional gear I would like to carry, we would exceed the GCWR. If I had bought a truck with a 3.55 rear end, the GCWR would have been 1700 lbs more and we would have had more flexibility as far as additional payload. This truck does not have the trailer tow package.

If I was to do it again, I would investigate the tradeoff between a 3.55 rear end and a hemi on gas mileage and pick one or the other, which would allow us to carry additional gear without having to worry about pushing above the GCWR, or axle weight maximums.

I wouldn’t believe anything the dealership tells you about the truck, nor Scamp about the trailer, or what anyone tells you on here, including myself, without investigating it carefully. I would study the manufacturer’s weight charts for the vehicle I am considering purchasing, and I would give myself some leeway. I would not exceed any of the recommended weights, yes it can be done, yes you might get away with it, but then again you don’t want to open yourself up to litigation in case you get in an accident or have a warranty repair problem. I would also check with Scamp to be sure the truck selected is one that they can attach a hitch to, and verify whether or not it would be best to raise the axle.

We will be coming to the Sebring get together in a few weeks and we will be looking forward to meeting many of you there.

Have Fun,
Larry
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #45

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
I'm pulling a 17foot casita SD with a 2004 ranger with a 4ltr . No issues.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #46

NW Wisconsin
I recently purchased a new 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn ,5.7 ltr. Hemi V8 ,8 speed transmission ,3.92 rearend and towing package (Rated towing capacity 10,150 Lbs)
I looked at Ford ,Chevy ,GMC & Ram trucks. All have tow ratings over 10,000 Lbs
Not one of the salesmen recommended towing anything above 7500 lbs with their half ton truck . I would like to think it was their Midwest honesty but the most likely reason was they wanted to sell me a 3/4 ton diesel . My 17 ft Casita Spirit weights between 3200 & 3300 Lbs loaded ,so I have ample towing capacity . I am the type of person who does not like to push things to their limit so my truck is the right vehicle for me
Old 01-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
You missed my point.
Obvious double standard.
Although way off topic I think important that a few facts in regards to the above be mentioned.

First off GM was fined the $35 million for their delay in doing the recall - which BTW is the largest fine ever handed out by the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration & if I am not mistaken the max they could fine them. GM still faces the courts in regards to Criminal and Civil cases - so who knows where the total $$ number will end up.

Toyota on the other hand cut a deal with the US prosecutors to pay the $ 1.2 billion fine to avoid legal prosecution over safety problems linked to 37 deaths. They were about to be charged with wire fraud. Note they were originally only fined $17 million by the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration for the delay in the recall.

A couple of articles to read should you wish a few more details on both situations:

Toyotas $1.2 Billon Fine, GM Recall Highlights defects in US Auto Safety

GM Fined $35 Million for Recall Delays/ Toronto Star

No double standard - simple due process, that is still in process.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #48

Name: Susan
Trailer: Looking around!
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Prompted me to review my vehicle history.
Fiat 128 Sport Coupe. Took maybe two years to rust to junk.
I started with a yellow Fiat 128 Sport Coupe 40 years ago! Bought it from a junk yard. Loved it and drove it like it was a Ferrari.
Toyota Lift Back
Econoline 150 (now that was a piece of junk from new)
S-10 Blazer
Nissan Pathfinder (Husband's)
Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (current)
Mini Cooper (husband's)
FJ Cruiser (miss it terribly but I couldn't take 17mpg and $4+/gal gas)
CT200H (husband's current)
RAV4 (current)
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #49

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Can we take the political opinions elsewhere pleeeze???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What are the political opinions that you are referring to? I lost the point of this thread back with the UAW post.
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be thrilled that somebody agrees with me or in a rage because they disagree.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #51
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
As near as I can tell the lively discussion started with the mention of the Honda Ridgeline. I'm curious if anyone knows of someone towing a 19' Scamp with a Ridgeline? it seems to me that the sloping side rails and the in bed trunk would make it challenging to set up. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #52

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
How does one purpose to tow a Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel with a car ?
He did say Honda Ridgeline, but I doubt you can mount a hitch in the Ridgeline's bed. I am wondering myself how the new 2015 Chevy Colorado or the GMC equivalent would work out. I suspect pretty well.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #53

NW Wisconsin
Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
As near as I can tell the lively discussion started with the mention of the Honda Ridgeline. I'm curious if anyone knows of someone towing a 19' Scamp with a Ridgeline? it seems to me that the sloping side rails and the in bed trunk would make it challenging to set up. Raz
From what I know and have read, the Honda Ridgeline is also a unibody vehicle.
Not being an automotive engineer I am not sure how well the Honda platform would work for a 5th wheel. Traditoinall cab on frame truck manufacturers are allowing you to have additional bracing installed at the factory to accommodate
a 5th wheel hitch .
Old 01-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #54
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham

From what I know and have read, the Honda Ridgeline is also a unibody vehicle.
Not being an automotive engineer I am not sure how well the Honda platform would work for a 5th wheel. Traditoinall cab on frame truck manufacturers are allowing you to have additional bracing installed at the factory to accommodate
a 5th wheel hitch .
Honda claims Unibody on frame construction ??? I'm not sure attaching the hitch is an issue. I suspect the side rails are the challenge. Perhaps not, which is why I asked if anyone has done it.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1640808503.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #55
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums - View Single Post - Fifth Wheel Towing
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #56
Raz

Thanks Wayne, I found that as well. I still wonder if anyone has done it with a Scamp. It's my understanding that the Scamp can be raised up, perhaps high enough that the side rails would not get in the way.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #57

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz2
Honda claims Unibody on frame construction ???.
Just like SmartCar!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #58

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...mp=yhs-att_001

I have NEVER seen this before! How cool!!! Makes me wish I still had my old Beetle! I saw another video where they found one of these trailers at the back of an old scrapyard and managed to rescue it. Would love to know how that turned out!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #59

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
whatsit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty61 View Post
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...mp=yhs-att_001

I have NEVER seen this before! How cool!!! Makes me wish I still had my old Beetle! I saw another video where they found one of these trailers at the back of an old scrapyard and managed to rescue it. Would love to know how that turned out!

Link doesn't work, please re-enter

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #60
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Thanks Wayne, I found that as well. I still wonder if anyone has done it with a Scamp. It's my understanding that the Scamp can be raised up, perhaps high enough that the side rails would not get in the way.
No sure Raz.... you don't hear a lot about the Ridge towing 5er's. My bet would go on the Holden V8 car/pickup vehicle. All that G8 performance would no doubt shine through even with a small Scamp 5er attached.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, scamp