What should I ask? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
After consulting with my wife (listening mostly...) and talking with the kids I'm pretty sure that I'll be listing the truck and bigfoot 5th wheel for sale right away, I'll decide over the weekend. It is just too large for my needs and my yard, 95% of the time I will be camping alone and the other 5% it will be out with only 2 people.

So..here's the package... A 1989 Ford F150 extended cab with 175,000 kms on it in very good condition with brand new tires (1500 kms on them). The truck has the 5th wheel and trailer package including a rear bumper hitch and an adapter harness which allows you to pull other trailers with it. It also has air, cruise, and tilt. It has just passed the "out of province inspection" with flying colours having only a exhaust manifold leak which I had repaired.

The trailer is a 1985 Bigfoot 20' 5th wheel single axle with all the usual amenities. It is in pretty good shape and the tires though old have good tread and no sign of cracking. It does require a new battery. It could use new flooring as the carpet is pretty badly stained. The roof panel in the bathroom has rotted a bit around the vent sometime in the past, this vent has been recaulked up top and no longer leaks. The toilet is new but the floor around it has no covering. (I'll put in some carpet before selling)

So, I was thinking of advertising the combination of truck and trailer for $9500.00 once I've done polishing the trailer up and cleaning it etc. Am I in the right ballpark with this price? Low? High?
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wow, Scott... that's too bad. A bird in the hand and all that, you know. I'd give it a season or two to grow on her, and THEN if it's too big or too small, or you really don't like it then...

OTOH, you probably won't have it for sale long as they're in demand.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
Wow, Scott... that's too bad. A bird in the hand and all that, you know. I'd give it a season or two to grow on her, and THEN if it's too big or too small, or you really don't like it then...

OTOH, you probably won't have it for sale long as they're in demand.

Roger
I agree with Roger. Give it some time. These are awesome trailers and giving it a season would be great idea.

I absolutely loved you story of your adventure when you and your son picked it up ! The coffee story made me crack right up !! Been there done that !!!

Regardless, you won't have a problem selling it for sure. To quote Roger they are definitely in demand since Bigfoot doesn't make the fifth wheel models anymore....

Happy trails !! Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Wow Scott, after reading about the big tree you had to remove and the other modifications you made for storage, plus your great trip report, that is really too bad... Maybe you need a couple of trips out with it first before biting the bullet and selling?

Sorry I can't help you out with the how much to ask question, but I am wondering if you will only sell the entire rig as a unit, or would you consider letting the trailer go separately?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The price sounds reasonable, but I'm no expert.

The trailer will not depreciate at all in a year (although the truck will)... and if you sell it then try to get another similar unit, it will cost you. I vote for the wait-a-bit method, but I realize that at some point you need to make a decision and move on.

Perhaps one approach would be to offer both for sale as a package, but sell the truck separately if anyone is interested, since the truck would be the part you need to unload before it value drops further with age. Also, I suspect that the trailer is more marketable by itself than the truck by itself, or the pair together, so I wouldn't want to pass up a sale opportunity for the truck.

Best wishes with whatever you do, Scott.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll echo keep it for a while, one is rare and the other is an old truck whose model year no longer matters.

I would go against Brian's advice and only sell them as a unit; selling the truck by itself might be difficult in high-fuel-price times and someone will come along who wants the BigFeets badly enough to buy the truck just to drag the trailer home! Were I you, I'd set your best price plus 10% and not negotiate because you have something both desirable and rare there and a buyer will appear if you are even mildly patient.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Scott - sorry to hear you are thinking about selling your outfit. I'll add my vote to keep it a year ... these FGRV's and the camping freedom they offer can really grow on a person!

Sigh - too bad Dave considers our Scamp 13 "Alpha & Omega" (the first and the last) or we might be asking more about it. As others have stated, whichever choice you make, you DO have a special trailer and the right buyer (who can fully appreciate that) will find you. Take care, L 'n D
Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Scott....

We owned a 1985 Bigfoot 5th wheel and sold it...all by itself.....for $8,500 US last summer when Herschell put his 1994 on the market and we traded up.

Val Zeff is in the market for a trailer and was discussing Bigfoot 5er with us awhile back. They are even flying to Oregon to look all the fiberglass over before being sure of what they want. If this is still for sale, they might consider it.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... someone will come along who wants the BigFeets badly enough to buy the truck just to drag the trailer home!
This is an interesting point: people are always looking for trailers and finding them only a great distance from home. It might be beneficial to some buyers to be able to fly in, buy the complete rig, drive it home, and then get their preferred tug set up (and maybe purchased) at their leisure. Of course, how many people will have so much faith in someone else's two decade old truck that they are willing to start on a major road trip with it towing a trailer on day one...?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote