What should I look out for in a used Scamp deluxe 5th wheel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
What should I look out for in a used Scamp deluxe 5th wheel?

Hi, I'm looking at a Scamp deluxe 5th wheel this weekend (the one in Albany), what are things I need to check or look out for? Also, a bunch of you said you towed with Tacomas, but they have a 3500 lb limit and the tow weights in the real world page in Forums lists 6 Scamp 5th wheels from 2900 to 3860 lbs, none of them deluxes. Do you tow long distances? Up mountains? Full time? I'm thinking I might need a full size pickup for this.... Sure will appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks like a beautiful trailer and a good price.
I am sure someone who knows more about Scamp 5th wheels will pipe up but I know there is an issue with towing them with full size pickups, to do with too high a bed height? Make sure you take the trailer checklist from this site with you. Also check all appliances esp fridge as they are expensive, look for fiberglass damage, interior water damage - soft spots on floor etc.
Let us know how you make out.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You really have to get under it and look where the axle is welded to the frame on both sides. At one time there were problems with the axle/frame separation.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Take the time to make sure all of the appliances (both electric, propane, and battery) work properly. The more questions you ask the better, it may give you a sense if the seller is honest or not: how old are the tires; have any water leaks; what problems have you encountered? Good luck!
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
From the Document Center, our Buyer's Checklist.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeliaL View Post
Hi, I'm looking at a Scamp deluxe 5th wheel this weekend (the one in Albany), what are things I need to check or look out for? Also, a bunch of you said you towed with Tacomas, but they have a 3500 lb limit and the tow weights in the real world page in Forums lists 6 Scamp 5th wheels from 2900 to 3860 lbs, none of them deluxes. Do you tow long distances? Up mountains? Full time? I'm thinking I might need a full size pickup for this.... Sure will appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

You can tow it with a full size pick-up but you do have to have some modifications done to the hitch. We bought ours from a man that was towing it with a Ford Ranger, and we tow it with a Nissan Titan. We had to do some modifications on it because the Nissan Titan sat too high in the back so we had the ball on the hitch raised, and it works great, and you never know the fifth wheel is there. The guy that towed it with the Ford Ranger lived in Missouri, and he said they traveled everywhere in it and never had a problem, and he actually delivered the camper to us in Mississippi.

Love Our Scamp Fifth Wheel!!
Brandy
Matthew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
We tow our Deluxe 5er with a Nissan Frontier Pro4X with 4wd. A smaller truck than the Nissan Titan in an earlier post.
The Scamp had a 1.5 inch lift done at the factory for the original owner and we didn't have to do anything to make it work with our truck.
Note that some pickups now come wiht a composite bed which CAN be used but need some extra securing. Our Frontier has a steel bed and it tows our Scamp very nicely.
Good Luck!
Fran in NM
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Thanks All! I bought the scamp 5er listed on the Albany, NY Craigslist on Saturday and a Tacoma SR5 yesterday. I plan to take the pics from the first thread to the shop for the hitch installation. I'm feeling both very excited and considerately poorer today :-)
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Tacoma

I pull mine with a 2007 Tacom TRD
Kenny
Attached Thumbnails
2010_0704etrailer0007.jpg  
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
My Scamp 19ft Deluxe weighted in at 3100lbs loaded with all my "stuff". I never weighted it dry. I purchased the lift kit from Scamp and had it lifted, and installed 15" tires. My TV is a Chevy Z71, pulls great, can't tell it's behind you.
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp