what size TV to pull 17 ft bigfoot, is my ranger 4x4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I keep seeing this 17ft (I think, it is not identified as such) on Craigslist and it just looks great. i only have a ranger 4x4 with a 6 liter engine???? is that big enough? the Bigfoot is heavier than my 17ft Casita was, (i think). anybody know???? alice
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You need to look in your Owner's Manual for the tow ratings for your particular Ranger. If you don't have the OM, you can download it from Ford.

My 98 Ranger 4WD with 6.0L, five speed A/T, 3.73 rear end and tow package is rated for 5,800 lbs, but yours may be different (There are 60 different equippage and ratings in my OM for 98 Rangers!).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
SIX POINT OH LITER? Hmmm. Are you sure you don't mean 4.OL V6?

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #4

mary ,

i am sure you are right. it isn't so much the capacity of the ranger that concerns me, it is the possible size and weight of the BIGFOOT. the ad says nothing about weight and since i have no money today, i don't want to contact the lister and ask about it. hate giving someone the idea i might show up on their doorstep with cash when i cannot. i am window shopping only.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Duh, right! 4.0L V6...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
it isn't so much the capacity of the ranger that concerns me
I second Pete's advice, check the manual for your specs. Commit them to memory and when the right trailer comes up, you will know the questions to ask. Even if you are only window shopping now it makes sense to make note of what you can and cannot tow.
That is the whole purpose behind window shopping.
FYI my Ranger manual also mentions a maximum total frontal area for a towed trailer.

FWIW, I'm always window shopping. That way I'll know when the right replacement trailer comes up at the right price. Maybe it is just the boy scout resurfacing but "be prepared" makes a lot of sense.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Boy that's a tuff call. I know the 4.0 is a large six,but the truck is rather small. When I had my Bigfoot 17'er, my tug was a 99 Express Chevy van with a 350 engine. And I knew it was behind me, it towed just fine, but its on the heavy side. The other thing you would surely need is mirror extentions, as the Bigfoot is quite wide. With all that said I do miss my old Bigfoot, they have a great layout. Good Luck
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
You should stick with the Casita, Alice. The Bigfoot 17 is heavier than the Casita, the older models a little less so. Your fuel costs would definitely be higher with a Bigfoot because of the larger frontal area as well as more weight. We get about 13 mpg pulling the Bigfoot 17 footer on a good day. BTW, our Bigfoot weighs 3600.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Best to start with a check of your owner's manual. For instance, the TL towing guide for 2009 lists the Ford Rangers with a towing limit range of 3,140 to 5,860 pounds for the 4.0 V6 trucks. The actual configuration of your truck is an important starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2920.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	19451

Don

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2921.JPG  
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #10

The towing guides are a good place to start, but the definitive answers will be in your Owner's Manual as Don points out.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #11

thanks, everybody. the bigfoot pictures were just so alluring that i went a little nuts. i guess i will keep looking for a duplicate of the first casita i owned, a 13 footer with a bath. (gotta have that bathroom.) it was so easy to tow a tiny bedroom along the highway. when i got tired of driving i would just pull in somewhere safe and fall asleep for a restful nap. i could go anywhere in that little egg. maybe i will find another one someday.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Reading the owner's manual is a great idea. It lists the specifications for a large range of vehicles that includes yours.

It is equally important to read and understand the placards on the driver's door and door frame of your vehicle. They apply to your specific model.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
thanks, everybody. the bigfoot pictures were just so alluring that i went a little nuts. i guess i will keep looking for a duplicate of the first casita i owned, a 13 footer with a bath. (gotta have that bathroom.) it was so easy to tow a tiny bedroom along the highway. when i got tired of driving i would just pull in somewhere safe and fall asleep for a restful nap. i could go anywhere in that little egg. maybe i will find another one someday.
Betcha you could buy a new one for what you would have paid for the Bigfoot. They are making some deals now!
Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot