What to do - Moving up? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
What to do - Moving up?

Well like many, we are at a crossroads on making a decision. We love our little 13 ft Scamp, but want to move on to extended camping 3 months in the south each year. We have hit the RV shows and have found many smaller trailers 21, 23 ft etc that have great floor plans, but are of the conventional built trailers ( having a slide really opens them up), but for some reason we keep thinking of our fiberglass trailer. Have others crossed this bridge? I sure wish the fiberglass manufacturers went to RV shows so we would be able to see them and walk trough them to make a more informed decision. We think we might be able to make the Scamp fiver work for us, but the wife really wants to see one in person to see if its doable. Anyone in Michigan with some bigger molded fiberglass trailers that might be willing to show them please let me know as this might help with our plans for our future, or just some thoughts as what others have done. Oh by the way, it will myself my wife and our older black lab making the trips.

Thanks
Steve
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
Well like many, we are at a crossroads on making a decision. We love our little 13 ft Scamp, but want to move on to extended camping 3 months in the south each year. We have hit the RV shows and have found many smaller trailers 21, 23 ft etc that have great floor plans, but are of the conventional built trailers ( having a slide really opens them up), but for some reason we keep thinking of our fiberglass trailer. Have others crossed this bridge? I sure wish the fiberglass manufacturers went to RV shows so we would be able to see them and walk trough them to make a more informed decision. We think we might be able to make the Scamp fiver work for us, but the wife really wants to see one in person to see if its doable. Anyone in Michigan with some bigger molded fiberglass trailers that might be willing to show them please let me know as this might help with our plans for our future, or just some thoughts as what others have done. Oh by the way, it will myself my wife and our older black lab making the trips.

Thanks
Steve
As I told you Steve that's what pretty much sold me was actually setting eyes on one. If there's anything near you Scamp will know. Give them a call.

Good luck on the quest. It was frustrating and fun for me. Now I'm filled with excitement.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Steve...I think I've read that most of the fiberglass dealers keep a list of folks who will show their trailers to prospective clients.

I've been in one of the Bigfoots at the Four Paws Rally in NC...they are very roomy and very nicely appointed on the inside. The couple who owns it post here sometimes, I think. (and I'm embarassed that I can't remember their names...nice folks) I also can't remember if they full time, but I know they do extended trips in it.

If no one offers up here, contact the dealers for the rigs you are interested in seeing. If you can get to the plants they also let you view the ready mades and ones in progress.

We met some folks who do extended travel with their rottweiler in a 13. They seems to be quite satisfied. The only consession that is made is that the dog prefers to sleep in the back of the tow vehicle at night. She is an older dog so they devised a ramp for her to get into the back of the Nissan Xterra they use as a tug

Good luck.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The need, or perceived need to move to larger sounds like you are also thinking of moving from campers to RVers. Only you know the answer to that. Right now, Byron and Anne (link to their blog)are in New Orleans... they've traveled every year for the past several years for several months. Leaving Oregon in January and return sometime late March or early April... they're in a 13 foot Scamp and no bathroom. L&D fulltimed, yes.. fulltimed for five years in a 13 foot Scamp and posted wonderful experiences. We know Norm and Ginny are out for 11 months in a 16' Scamp.

So, we know small is doable. Whether it's doable for you... depends on your particular needs/wants. I'm cheap... since I already own a molded trailer, I'd try it for one fairly long trip and if I THEN didn't think it would work for future long trips, I'd trade up. But, I wouldn't know that until I tried. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Decisions....

We are starting month 5 of this trip in our Scamp 16. There has been no point where the Scamp has felt too small and we are a couple that formerly traveled in a 32' motorhome.

The amount of 'stuff' we carry is less but it turns out that stuff is no factor in fun. We went to a St. Patrick's Dinner/Dance with other RVers, all with bigger rigs, it meant that many of them had special green outfits for the holiday... our lack of green head to to did not diminish our fun.

This week we went int to the Chiricahua National Monument, one of the best places I've ever been. The campground had all small rigs, that's all that fits, next year we'll be there with them.

Our Scamp is not perfect, unfortunately neither Scamp nor Casita seem to make their trailer for people who travel for long periods. In both cases they require shaping to meet long term travel needs. However it is possible to make them comfortable for the purpose.

As to a Scamp 19, I always suggest visiting a rally, a real chance to see a rig and talk to actual users and not sales people.

The other factor is operational cost. It is getting higher virtually every day. Another reason small is good, size does cost. For us, we're planning our RV strategy to deal with the next wave of increased fuel prices, the biggest concern of RVers and campground owners.

For us what we need to be happy is each other, a warm place to sleep, good food to eat, and the stimulation of places like the Chiricahua National Monument, the rock formations are unbelievable. We find a 16' trailer to easily be adequate.

Chiricahua National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Hope this helps. I know everyone is different in their needs but it's been enough for us. I admit that the first time we inspected a Scamp 19 that was for sale, we would have bought it if we owned a truck. It's a very nice solution. In retrospect, I would probably now be concerned about it's operating costs, i.e. mpg towing. Operating costs are a big deal for us because we drive a lot of miles in a year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Texas
Norm & Ginny - good post as always. Good food for thought. Especially the cost of fuel. Makes me think what my increased cost will be pulling that 5er as opposed to the 16 fter. Plus I lose my truck bed space for extra storage. Hmmm...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
Norm & Ginny - good post as always. Good food for thought. Especially the cost of fuel. Makes me think what my increased cost will be pulling that 5er as opposed to the 16 fter. Plus I lose my truck bed space for extra storage. Hmmm...
Lest you think I might be rethinking my plan. I'm not. I've just never really given MPG much thought. Mostly I'm lamenting the loss of the truck bed for storage space. I'll just have to figure out some low profile storage solution. It's nice that Scamp now has a new hitch that is easily removable for those times your not towing.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Florida
Nick,

I really do like the Scamp 5th wheel. As well I have no idea what people get for mileage towing a Scamp 5th wheel, nor do I know your travel plans.

Sometimes I feel we're the extreme fiberglass owner in terms of the amount of travel we do. I know there are others on the site that travel a lot but they do represent the minority.

We will drive about 25 - 30,000 miles this year, about half towing. It seems our overall mileage not towing is not as good as we had hoped, probably because we've driven tons of dirt roads thru the mountains of late. So far we've spent about $1500 and assuming no letup in gas prices rise, and that we'll be soon hitting the west coast and their higher gas prices, I'm projecting $5000 for gas for our 11 months on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, give Escape trailers a call and see if they have someone near you who will let you see their 5th wheel or one of their 19's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Steve,

Click on the Forums button above and then go to the right and click on Rallies & meets. Then go down the page and you'll find a rally in Indiana. It's the closest one to you that I saw. I read each page and you'll find Jim & Autumn are planning on attending. They have a Scamp 5th wheel.

This gathering is May 18-20 in Mitchell, Indiana.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

Wow, thank you all for the great responses, it seems that what I want to do is not that unheard of. Maybe I was trying to make this decision too quickly and I should get my Scamp 13 out and attend some rallies and see what others are doing. We did find a Casita 17 in our area that we are going to look at, so now just to find some of the others. Thanks again for all the help with this decision.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve a google map showing all the rallys & dates can be found here as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I too hope you can see an Escape 19; the wider body mold and greater length both make it feel more spacious than most eggs.

The question to ask yourself is, what do you think you need more of for a longer trip? Storage, I suppose, is the most obvious thing. Probably a full-time bed, too, right? Besides that, will one sitting area do or will you need two? If the latter, that probably eliminates all the eggs; otherwise you still have several options.

About slideouts, I had one in my first hardside trailer, a 2005 Rockwood 2304s. Queen bed in front, jackknife sofa (more a love seat, really) on the slide. It felt so open and roomy! But once I got over it, I realized that it didn't truly add anything to the trailer... no extra storage or anything, merely an open feel due to an enlarged vacant space between sofa and kitchen side. I no longer feel any desire for a slide. Sort of like having had a moonroof once, and never needing one again (especially after dealing with leaks)!

I'm friends with our old retired mailman and his wife, and they have a 30-some foot Cedar Creek 5th wheel... with entire rooms in it! It's a beautiful trailer, tons of space. But it nearly overloads their F250 diesel pickup. I don't envy them. But I suppose if I felt the need for (pretty much) a second house and I wanted to haul around a whole bunch of my stuff for 3 months, I would need a trailer that big too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #14

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Steve --

As you are located in Michigan, it might be worth your while to look at the EggCamper, manufactured in Grand Rapids. It is a 17', but is much roomier and more open-feeling than the 1-foot-shorter Scamp 16. It can be used as a full-time bed with a small dinette. For myself, if I were looking for a long-term-travel camper, I'd be looking hard at the Lil Snoozy.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

Florida
Life is short, and for everyone, continually getting shorter for each of us. The recognition that life is short is what got us on the road. The most important aspect of choosing a rig is making a decision and moving forward.

If the goal is getting on the road, the difference between 16 and 17 feet is not critical. I can firmly state that our 16 has enough space for us. I admit we have learned to pack lightly but also I can sheepishly say I have at least 5 shirts I have not yet worn after 4 months on the road.

It's true that we don't keep a permanently made up bed but 5 minutes at night and 5 minutes in the morning are simply no big deal. Heck I used to spend a half hour simply driving to work..... and I never got to spend a half hour walking thru the Chiricahua National Monument.

Pre-RV, every morning I would get up shower, eat a quick breakfast, say goodby to Ginny for the next 10 hours and often for longer periods. All the time becoming mentally and particularly physically less than I should be. Life has been a wonder again since we hit the road.

Certainly we try to make the trailer the best we can, certainly we want the best trailer that fits our life style, but I must emphasize for us it is not the critical element. Our goal is an affordable solution that allows us to be on the road.

In business I often found people taking too long to make decisions, requiring all the information and usually missing opportunities. Oppurtunity must be quickly engaged before it disappears.

I hope this wasn't too strong, it's simply what we did and, once again for us, it worked. I certainly recognize that what we've done is not for everyone or maybe anyone. I also recognize I am blessed with a marvelous wife who readily accepts my what often appear unusual life choices.

Non-RVers frequently ask me where I'd choose to live after 5 loops of the USA and Canada. I never know what to answer except "I've been to 1,000s of places where I could live happily". In retrospect I've learned it's not the 'place', for many have great attributes, but maybe it's my new view of what's important, maybe it's my need for less, maybe 'it's the road' and or simply more time with Ginny that has changed me.

Twelve years ago the key decision was deciding to go on the road and acting on the decision 6 months later.

Hoping your path is easy...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #16

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
As my "Hi, I'm new" thread explains in great detail, we are looking for a (relatively)fuel efficient TT we can tow behind our RAV4. I don't have any previous experience but am thinking a Lil Snoozy can work for 2-3 months in Fl in the winter. I like them because the shell is fully structural so you (or they) can build any kind of interior.

For us, we don't want to climb over each other to get up at night so I've come up with a floor plan that adds twin beds and a little more storage. I'll post it here in a day or two, as soon as I have it finished in Photoshop.

I spoke to Alan Smoak (owner) today and made an appointment to visit 4/4. He confirmed they are very open to building a custom interior.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #17

Texas
Well said Norm. I will add my personal experience to this. My wife Liz and I talked and dreamed and put off going on the road for at least five years. Now I'll be going it alone since she passed away without ever realizing that dream. I'd say choose and go. I know I even took 7-8 months to finally do it but I'm so glad. Just would have been a lot happier had Liz been able to travel with me for her last 4-5 years of life.

'Nough said.

Nick
Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Steve...not sure what your tow vehicle is..... maybe look for a 2006 up Bigfoot trailer..... 17' or 21' or even the long 25 footer. This year of Bigfoots come with the wider body and thicker walls. Even dual pane windows. You won't be disappointed owning a Bigfoot.
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
As Donna noted earlier, only you can tell what's best for you and doing an extended trip is the best way to get the feel for that.

I recently sold my 13' Trillium and moved up to a stick built. I towed my Trillium many thousands of miles and enjoyed it immensely. I had a porta potti but never used it. I usually boondocked and used Walmarts, service centers etc or campground facilities when staying in one.

I made the decision to go RV'ing as well as camping. While the Trillium was comfortable and had the basics I wanted more. I found it fine as a place to eat and sleep but less than ideal if I just wanted to stay put for a period of time. I moved from tenting to the Trillium and it felt like I had moved into the Trump Tower... for a while.

An extended trip will provide the opportunity for you to consider what, if anything, you're missing and if you can get by without it. Some things are 'nice to have' and they may become 'need to have' after the passage of time.

All the best with your decision.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #20

My tow vehicle is a 2011 Regular cab GMC Sierra full size 1/2 ton truck with the small V8, so I can pretty much tow any of the molded fiberglass units. After reading all the great posts here I can say that we have decided to stay with the molded fiberglass, over the traditional stick built. We are now trying to narrow down what that will be, the leaders are the Scamp fiver, and the Casita 17, but we are still searching out as much info as we can get. We have contacted Escape also, but have not as of yet got any local leads on a big foot to look at. This is fun, yet frustrating, and I am sure in the very near future we will just pull the trigger on a unit and go for it.