What to watch out for - taking delivery on a 13 Deluxe frt/dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
What to watch out for - taking delivery on a 13 Deluxe frt/dinette

Well...thought I would throw this out there

We are taking delivery on our new 13 deluxe frt/dinette on Jan 2, 2016. Shortest lead time ever (signed order 12/17/15..modified to add awing today...picking up 1/2/16). That is about 15 days...Egg-cell-ent customer service.

Are there any know issues to look for? Bubbles in gel-coat? Door alignment? Wood splits? Too tight of nuts on the axles? (sorry had to throw that in). I will check the bearing hubs for heat when we get to Minneapolis.

Let me know what people have found on their new trailers...I would prefer to get it fix while there.

Bill

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations. Exciting times. Any new trailer should have the lug nuts retightened after 50 miles and at 100 miles. They tend not to loosen up after that. I would make sure that the water pump, water lines, water heater, and drains work prior to leaving the factory, even though they will probably be winterized, and if possible run a hose over all the windows and vents to check for leaks. Camp in the area if possible for a day or two to make sure no problems arise.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations on the new arrival. Looking forward to details of you adventure to Backus.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Bill is referring to the spindle nuts and Dave the lug nuts. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #4

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I think all you have mentioned and has been stated is prudent. Bubbles in gelcoat would take a little longer to repair if found. You don't mention your time frame for traveling but I'm hoping you allowed a few days off from your work schedule to inspect and hang out if you will in your trailer in Backus area to check her out. My trailer was in an accident with PO (I bought used) and there's bubbling in repair areas. I know mine is a different animal but still good to check. I also have a naturally occurring separation in plywood on bulkhead screen door frame that butts up to my front dinette. Not caused by accident but just a natural state of the wood. A weak area that I would have preferred Scamp chose a different piece for so just check for that kinda stuff too. Deploy your new awning of course and inspect operation and fabric. In addition, any final finishing work that you'd have to live with and look at...maybe carpet not glued down tight, etc. You might feel less rushed to give her a good look see at the factory, but then set up camp a bit locally and then take your time going over every nook and cranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Congratulations. Exciting times. Any new trailer should have the axle nuts retightened after 50 miles and at 100 miles. They tend not to loosen up after that. I would make sure that the water pump, water lines, water heater, and drains work prior to leaving the factory, even though they will probably be winterized, and if possible run a hose over all the windows and vents to check for leaks. Camp in the area if possible for a day or two to make sure no problems arise.
Dave & Paula

I think you meant the lug nuts. "Axle nuts" (spindle nuts) are inside the hub, are castellated and held in place by a cotter pin and they cannot loosen unintentionally. Check to make sure they attached the trailer brake ground wires to the frame. Mine were dangling and I found out a few miles down the road. Had to pull into a commercial establishment, pull out the battery drill and make a field repair.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana

As far as checking out all of the systems on your new camper, we and lots of others camped at American RV in Corsicana on the night after picking ours up. It's only a few miles from the factory so if something doesn't work you can easily return. Not a very scenic place but has water, electric and sewer hookups. They can also fill your propane tanks. They are also said to be helpful with new Casitas. If you are talking about a Scamp there must be a campground somewhere near their factory.
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We're talking north-central MN in January. Will anything be open?

May have to make do with a careful inspection of fit and finish throughout, test what you can (stove, heater, AC, fridge, awning, brakes, lights and outlets), and leave plumbing alone until you get to a warmer place or time. Since you don't have a bathroom, there really isn't much to the plumbing, anyway. An exterior leak test at a car wash is a good idea, but it depends on weather conditions at the time of delivery (and if you do, don't spray directly into vents- they aren't designed for that). In any case, Scamp's warranty should allow you to get repairs done locally if any defects turn up later.

On mine, the gravel guard latches are loose. Not sure if they were installed slightly off or are just worn; I'm the second owner. Replacement is on my to-do list. That's one small detail that might be worth adding to your checklist.

The new-style door seals are pretty stiff when new, and we've heard a few reports of doors popping open going down the road. The cold won't help. When you close the door, turn the handle and press firmly on the door as you release the handle. You should be able to feel if the tongue hangs up. Give it a tug and lock it for travel.

Checking lug nuts and hub temperature frequently during the first few hundred miles is just good sense. That's not just for a new trailer, but any time the wheels are removed or the hubs serviced.

If you plan to dry camp in the trailer on the way home and use the furnace, make sure to get smoke and CO detectors. Scamp doesn't supply them.

Hope I'm not scaring you with all these things. I love my little trailer, and I know you will, too! Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Congratulations on the new arrival. Looking forward to details of you adventure to Backus.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Bill is referring to the spindle nuts and Dave the lug nuts. Raz
You are right Raz, I guess I was really tired when I posted.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We're talking north-central MN in January. Will anything be open?

May have to make do with a careful inspection of fit and finish throughout, test what you can (stove, heater, AC, fridge, awning, brakes, lights and outlets), and leave plumbing alone until you get to a warmer place or time. Since you don't have a bathroom, there really isn't much to the plumbing, anyway. An exterior leak test at a car wash is a good idea, but it depends on weather conditions at the time of delivery (and if you do, don't spray directly into vents- they aren't designed for that). In any case, Scamp's warranty should allow you to get repairs done locally if any defects turn up later.

On mine, the gravel guard latches are loose. Not sure if they were installed slightly off or are just worn; I'm the second owner. Replacement is on my to-do list. That's one small detail that might be worth adding to your checklist.

The new-style door seals are pretty stiff when new, and we've heard a few reports of doors popping open going down the road. The cold won't help. When you close the door, turn the handle and press firmly on the door as you release the handle. You should be able to feel if the tongue hangs up. Give it a tug and lock it for travel.

Checking lug nuts and hub temperature frequently during the first few hundred miles is just good sense. That's not just for a new trailer, but any time the wheels are removed or the hubs serviced.

If you plan to dry camp in the trailer on the way home and use the furnace, make sure to get smoke and CO detectors. Scamp doesn't supply them.

Hope I'm not scaring you with all these things. I love my little trailer, and I know you will, too! Congratulations!
Scamp does supply all new trailers with CO detectors. I was up at the factory in 2014 getting a fantastic fan put in our 2011 13 ft standard. I will check both lugs and hub temps. This will be our 3rd trailer so we know a bit about them. They have started using a new screen this year (roll up) and I am not sure how I will like that. I have Pella roll up in our house and they are a pain. Also they have moved away from Dexter axles this year and Time will tell if this was a good move. As someone has posted, pick up will be in January in northern Minnesota so camping is out. And above that I have a 5 day audit starting on Mon. Jan 4th. so it will be busy.

I will check for the brake ground wire, general fit and finish, (I have been in quality assurance for 30 years) I am somewhat picky.

If anyone knows of any other issues please post.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Scamp does supply all new trailers with CO detectors...
That's welcome news, and apparently a change in the last few years. My 2008 did not have one when I acquired it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I think you meant the lug nuts. "Axle nuts" (spindle nuts) are inside the hub, are castellated and held in place by a cotter pin and they cannot loosen unintentionally. Check to make sure they attached the trailer brake ground wires to the frame. Mine were dangling and I found out a few miles down the road. Had to pull into a commercial establishment, pull out the battery drill and make a field repair.

Actually Castle nuts with cotter pins can not be used on EZ-Lube type axles. There is however, a sheet metal clip which serves the same general purpose.
Like any new baby... look it over and count all its fingers and toes, knowing that any defect is rare and covered by a years warranty.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote