What's the Word on Gas Buddy? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
What's the Word on Gas Buddy?

I get a lot of promotions on Gas Buddy and am thinking about joining.
What's the word on it? Is it a good deal or not?

Walt
Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Seeing GasBuddy is free, locates fuel by type, location and cost, and provides mapping to the fuel station, I would have to say it is a good deal.

I have been using it some for many years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Given that it is free, I guess it's good value.
I don't find it all that useful where I live because of limited participation. Prices listed are often many hours old. And, most of the stations around here seem to raise and lower prices in unison.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
On our two week vacation, we used it a lot in conjunction with Google maps.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Casita
Ontario
Registry
I use it on trips all the time. If you are in more remote areas, at least you know how far the nearest station is. Also let's you know that if you can go a further 25 km, the price drops (those gasoline alleys along highways). Also is the station on the highway or in town.

If you collect points or have a discount card, you can search by brand.

Just be aware you don't fiddle with it while driving - you need a navigator.

Also I don't think any of the monetary offers apply in Canada but you can track locations, brands and prices just fine.

Jennifer
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #6

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
Been using it for years. It may be the one really good excuse to have a smart phone. Love it.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Another long time user here who would STRONGLY recommend GasBuddy. Lately GB has been pushing HARD for users to "join" the GB payment system (which I have NO interest in doing). Other than that marketing, the only real issues for me have been 1: when you see a location with a good price, you can't easily tell if that station is AHEAD of you or behind you. If you watch the distance, then you can tell if you're getting closer or farther away (I'm a SOLO in an RV so, I generally do NOT want to "double back"). I'd like to see a way to have the app indicate the direction so I can keep my attention on the road. #2 is that, in areas with little to no competition, local yokels will FALSELY REPORT bogus low prices to get traffic to leave the highway. I've seen that scam several times and, usually have enough fuel onboard to just get back on the highway and continue to the next station(s). It should be MUCH easier for GB app users to report this abuse. I try to report prices as often as possible. If more motorists did this simple thing, the GB app would be even better than it already is.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #8

Name: Jan
Trailer: Winnebago
New York
I’ve used it for years and find it very helpful. I recently got their GB debit card and have saved as much as 25 cents per gallon. That’s way better than the 3% rebate from my credit card.
Elphaba58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #9

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
I have found it very useful for finding cheap fuel. For diesel users, I don't think it differentiates biodiesel, so when you see that great deal, it might be biodiesel. In my experience the discount card is about the same as cash back credit cards, and limited to ~$70 per purchase. For a big TV that is a limitation. Also, the card debits your checking account (which is how the discount works--avoiding credit card interchange fees). I'm sure some "power users" manage to work their system to get better discounts, but I've just gone to rewards credit card.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

Name: Jan
Trailer: Winnebago
New York
Snowball Camper, you’re right that the card debits your checking account. It works great for me. I have Rialta that only holds 21 gallons of gas, and I figure if I don’t have the money in my account to pay for gas, I shouldn’t be traveling. As for the app itself, I find it very helpful.
Elphaba58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #11

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 (sold), Escape 19
Georgia
Registry
Hi Walt,
We've used GasBuddy app on our phone for several years now. It helps you plan where to get cheaper gas on your route. You can bring up the map, check your route, and see where the best prices are. An example is today where Shell gas is $2.15 in Christianburg VA but only $1.99 in Wytheville, VA. It also shows that if you can wait until you get to SC after passing through NC you'll save about 20 cents a gallon in SC.

I like using Shell or COSTCO since they are both "top tier" gas, and another app I use in conjunction with GasBuddy is Shell Fuel Rewards. When you pull up to the Shell pump you tap the "Alt Rewards" button, type in your alt rewards number (which in my case is my cell phone number so I remember), and then you get a discount at the pump of at least 5 cents a gallon.

I also have T-Mobile as my phone carrier, and every Tuesday they have "T-Mobile Tuesdays" where you can download an extra 10 cent discount per gallon into your Shell Fuel Rewards, good for up to 20 gallons.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I get a lot of promotions on Gas Buddy and am thinking about joining.
What's the word on it? Is it a good deal or not?

Walt

Well there is a saying that you get what you pay for. In this case it is free, and that saying would say it is not worth much. But frankly it is a very valuable tool. I travel for work and use it both on my phone and on my computer. It is not so good at figuring out when you are moving. At times when I pull over to pop it up and start planning where to get gas it will say I am moving. But just tell it you are a passenger and you are golden.

You have to watch the age of the reports, but that in and of itself can be valuable. If all the current reports are that the prices are higher but the old ones have them lower, figure that prices are going up and head for the cheapest nearest recent one. If the new ones are lower you can go for the cheapest even if it is bit more of a drive.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Given that it is free, I guess it's good value.
I don't find it all that useful where I live because of limited participation. Prices listed are often many hours old. And, most of the stations around here seem to raise and lower prices in unison.

I kind of have made it more useful in one of the areas I travel through a lot. OK this is a very nerdy thing to do. But as I was going through the area I noticed a lot of the best deals were not listed. Actually most of the stations were not. So I researched how to register as the owner of a station and make a nice single sheet on what gas buddy was and how to register as an owner and then keep prices up to date. Then when I stopped for a good price on a sign where the station was not listed I would go on in and try to talk to the owner or manager and give them the sheet. And I noticed a lot of those stations as now there and have owners keeping them up to date ;-)

So you might try that for your local area. ;-)
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #14

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Carded

Hi: All... I'm no buddy... but do dislike getting to the pump and finding out the great price I saw was for "Cash" not credit purchases. We always travel by card!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good point Al. Does GB give that information?
Old 10-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Dang I guess I should add my 2¢ I've been using G.B. for years, I update prices for regular gas when I can. My first account I had quit working when I changed cellphones service and phone, I had to reset up my account. I was about to dump it when I kept getting them wanting me to get G.B card.
Heck I've started doing Google maps review's even when I can.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba58 View Post
Snowball Camper, you’re right that the card debits your checking account. It works great for me. I have Rialta that only holds 21 gallons of gas, and I figure if I don’t have the money in my account to pay for gas, I shouldn’t be traveling. As for the app itself, I find it very helpful.
Lack of funds is not the reason most travelers prefer using credit. In fact it's often the opposite. With debit, fraud or merchant error could leave your entire bank account at risk (and the burden of proof is on you). I have fought errors on a bank account in the past. The wheels turn very slowly, and in the meantime you're out the funds.

Credit comes with more protections, and as a result, credit card companies are very attuned to potential fraud. We've had our card frozen when traveling more than once because of an unusual transaction that raised a red flag in their system. A phone call puts it right.

While I don't like paying more for gas on credit, if the surcharge is reasonably consistent with actual merchant transaction fees, I would rather pay it than risk using debit. The only place we use a debit card on the road is in an ATM machine at a branch of our bank.

And yes, we pay our credit card bills in full every month.

Free may not really free. Most free apps collect personal data and resell it to third parties. You have to weigh the benefits of a particular shopping tool against the loss of privacy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote