Whats your occupation - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 AM   #41

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
I retired before the camera was invented, so I don't have any photos of me at work. Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I did.

Just incase you can't read the text:
Quote:
Scientists from the RAND Corporation have created this model to illustrate how a “home computer” could look like in the year 2004. However the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expect to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the Fortran Language, the computer will be easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails
1954Computer500.jpg  
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 AM   #42

Now that I'm retired, I test Pawley Island Hammocks.
Attached Thumbnails
500Sunrisehammock.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan@Nov 16 2005, 01:21 AM
I retired before the camera was invented, so I don't have any photos of me at work. Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I did.
I saw that picture a while back. It's a great picture, kind of reminds me of an IBM excutive's statement. "There's a market for maybe 5 computers"..
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan@Nov 16 2005, 08:21 AM
Morgan, thanks for the memory jolt here. We could probably swap stories about punch cards, paper tape and removable disk packs. Fortran (referenced in the caption) was actually the first programming language I learned many, many, many years ago.

Now I manage the support and training side of a software company specializing in inventory control systems. The best part of the job is that several of our clients are in the RV parts supply business.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally posted by John Allen+Nov 16 2005, 01:07 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Morgan
Quote:
@Nov 16 2005, 08:21 AM
[b]I retired before the camera was invented, so I don't have any photos of me at work. Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I did.
Morgan, thanks for the memory jolt here. We could probably swap stories about punch cards, paper tape and removable disk packs. Fortran (referenced in the caption) was actually the first programming language I learned many, many, many years ago.

Now I manage the support and training side of a software company specializing in inventory control systems. The best part of the job is that several of our clients are in the RV parts supply business.

Al
Memories.

When I worked for General Electric, I invented a high speed chad reader. I figured there was no since wasting all that perfectly good card stock. GE decided not to market the reader. They could have used one in Florida a couple of years ago.

FORTRAN was also my first language. Can you imagine where the PC industry would be today if users had to learn FORTRAN or BASIC?

I like that photo because it shows how far off scientific predictions can be, usually too conservative. Science fiction is a better predictor of progress than scientists are.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #46

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hey! I used to speak broken Fortran! Now I guess my broken Spanish is all I have left...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
I took FORTRAN in college in 1993! At that time, I was studying to be an environmental engineer. I had a minor in "partying" which quickly became my major.

Long story short, I now dwell in a cube...
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #48

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I don't have a picture of me at work, but I'm on the faculty of the local university. I teach Genetics. Fun stuff - but I'm biased.

Computer picture:
As I recall, that photo is real - but it's misslabeled. I think it was just a typical computer of the era. Back in that era nobody was thinking 'home computer'. Heck, people hadn't even conceived of desktop publishing yet - what would the typical person need with a computer???

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Watters@Nov 16 2005, 06:28 PM
I don't have a picture of me at work, but I'm on the faculty of the local university. I teach Genetics. Fun stuff - but I'm biased.

Computer picture:
As I recall, that photo is real - but it's misslabeled. I think it was just a typical computer of the era. Back in that era nobody was thinking 'home computer'. Heck, people hadn't even conceived of desktop publishing yet - what would the typical person need with a computer???

mkw
That photo is a photoshop composition. Part of it was from an old shot of Houston Space Center. Other stuff was added along with guy standing. I don't remember where about it. When was sometime early spring 2005.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #50

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Fake pic:

Here's the Snopes page on it:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #51

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Watters@Nov 16 2005, 06:28 PM
...Computer picture:
As I recall, that photo is real - but it's misslabeled. I think it was just a typical computer of the era....
The photo is amusing, and predictions of technology are routinely very wrong, but that particular image was a hoax. Mike beat me to posting this revelation, but here another link about the hoax:
Popular Mechanics: Fictitious '54 Home Computer

My favourite are the movies and TV shows of the late 1960's which are set far in the future (even in the 21st century), and feature computer rooms full of reel-to-reel mag tape machines - most of those tape drives were retired in the 1970's...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #52

Registry
Thanks for the snopes link. I knew it was doctored, but forgot that it was a submarine control panel that been doctored.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #53

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I work at a vet hospital. I am the office mgr, the secretary, and vet assistant. I do whatever the Veterinarian does not want to do, that I can do.
I also raise Maltese puppies.
I love my jobs, but they do keep me from camping much.
Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to post the pictures yet.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #54

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm retired, & have only one job left in life... & that is: to harrass everyone, who "has to work."

I've had a lot of jobs, & actually had fun, on some of them, but I'm having more fun now. It's not easy, but someone has to do it, & I volunteered!

I was born & raised in So. CA., so most of my jobs were while I lived there.

I worked as a waitress in Hollywood, near the USO on Hollywood Blvd., during the Vietnam War. (Well someone, had to feed, all those servicemen! )

I've had jobs, like making ceramic castings. I was a full time Mom for a while, then, a professional house painter. When both of my sons were in school, I became a school bus driver, & drove lots of charters too.

I drove city buses in Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, & Simi Valley. I even drove a "trolley" in Ventura, & was a 911 Operator in Oxnard.

My last real job was as a Pinkerton Security Officer, in Camarillo. (I also had a gun permit. On my qualifing test, for my permit, I shot a 490 out of 500. Now, "THAT" was FUN!)

I was medically retired, from Pinkerton, in 1995, at the age of 47 because I had a heart attack. I have had 3 more in the same artery, since then. (But, I haven't had one in over 5 years now.) Did you know that if you have only 1 artery blocked, they will NOT do a bi-pass? They ONLY do bi-passes on multiples, kind of weird, but TRUE!
Attached Images

Elsie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM   #55

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
this is me a year ago, working on a skip drive system at Craig Mine

the skip is what brings the ore up from underground , like a giant bucket, holds 40 tons, travels from 4700 feet below ground to surface
Attached Thumbnails
skipme.jpg  
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #56

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I am licensed as a California Service Agent by the Department of Food and Agriculture, Division of Measurement Standards. That is a bureaucrateese way of saying Scale Repairman. I make sure any weighing device I work on is accurate according to the laws of the State of California. I usually travel to the scale's location... which someone once said makes me a traveling scales-man.
But, hey... They pay me to push my weight around.

My job takes me anywhere any item is being weighed. The smallest Laboratory Balance I have worked on weighs the impurities in our City's water supply, and discriminates to 9 decimal points of a gram. The largest vehicle scale I have worked on is used to weigh railroad cars up to 300,000 pounds.

I also take care of the scales that weigh the animals for the San Diego Zoological Society and Sea World San Diego.
Attached Thumbnails
calibration2.jpg   Dolphin_Weighing.jpg  

Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #57

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Frederick... On a sliding scale of 1-10 where would you weigh "Retirement". I am a Transit Operator in London Ontario Canada Pop. aprox. 350,000. It just doesn't seem to get any easier than that!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #58

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I had many jobs:
60's worked in seafood processing plant....70's worked as a cabinet mill then became forman there....80's went into machanical engeniering (fancy name for a Plumber)...in the 90's, due to an injury had to get out of that trade...now I am semi retired and an the house husband.
What I do for work now is, I started a business, building Custom Cedar Strip Canoes and have shiped them all over the USA and I also cut and sell fire wood.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
P4200013.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #59

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I teach teachers, both technology and special education. Kevin is a school administrator.
These pictures are almost 4 years old, taken during a trip to China to train their teachers. Someone did not set the inservice up on their end, so we met with the Chinese education folks and toured things around Beijing, as guests of the government. These pictures are taken at the Great Wall and a restaurant in Beijing.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00095.JPG   DSC00668.jpg  

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #60

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I work three days a week at an exclusive boarding kennel for cats and dogs... help in the office, let the dogs in and out for their out times! I love my job!! It does put a little cramp into wanting to go camping, but she is very flexable to let me have a day off.. No pics....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote