Wheel chocks: 2 or 4? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #21

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Great advice - but as I am a solo camper - I would have to tell directions, get out, talkback to myself, then jump back in to reply! It is all good. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #22

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTXFL View Post
Just an option they sell a heavy rubber one at HF that are often on sell for $4.99 each. Durable however have a rubber odor when new.
I tried the HF chocks and wasn’t impressed. Too steep, they don’t go far enough under the tire so they end up moving. I think they’re designed for a much larger diameter tire like a semi. I use a mix of Anderson and Camco, along with my X-chocks since I have a dual axle trailer.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wheel chocks: 2 or 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I tried the HF chocks and wasn’t impressed. Too steep, they don’t go far enough under the tire so they end up moving.
Thanks for that. I noticed they are on sale now, and I was thinking of ditching my slide-prone plastic chocks for rubber. I saw the steepness in the ad photo and wondered if the photo had been altered to fit the space. I’ll keep looking.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #24

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Hi - I bought a pair of Camco wheel chocks. I have watched a few videos, but do not know if I need a pair per tire, or just one pair for one tire. I am new to the world of Casita camping, so I have lots of questions. (I practiced backing up today. I almost cried. Almost - but mostly from laughing at my lack of talent!) Thanks - Amy
Don't be too hard on yourself oh, the shorter a trailer is the more difficult it is to backup. And a 13 foot or would be difficult to learn how to do because every minor input of the steering wheelmakes a major turn in the trailer
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I use two

I actually only use two chocks ---- mostly. If I have a question I will full chock and use something like my leveling blocks for the other two. Mostly I only have it using the chocks long enough to get the leveling done and then really it is sitting on the jacks and it could not roll even with effort.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #26

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
Washington
Cell phone between you and the spotter is handy.

I agree with Get Out and Look! (At what is behind your trailer) Better safe than sorry!

With backing a trailer, you want to make small adjustments and make these adjustments before you need them, so when the trailer responds, you will be right on target!

Practice makes perfect 😁
Jeff Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I've been very happy with my rubber HF chocks and 14" wheels. The angle is not an issue. They can get brittle and crack if left in sun for about 5 years straight, though; I leave a couple on the driveway 24/7 for stopping my cargo trailer when I back in every day after work, that's how I know.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:55 AM   #28

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I purchased these Camco 44414 Wheel Chocks to use on vehicles while working on them. They were great! The whole thing is made of high-grade plastic and is very lightweight. It is sufficient enough to hold down my RV with 29-inch tires. I bought four of them and they can all stack together. Overall, I'm very pleased they're lightweight they're cheap but they're doing a job I have not had any problems with them and I have used them a few times.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Lol and Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dodd View Post
I agree with Get Out and Look! (At what is behind your trailer) Better safe than sorry!...��

I drive a tractor trailer. One morning I pulled in to an entrance, locked. I sat for a few minutes, then decided to back out. Backed right in to another (smaller) truck who had pulled in behind me. He was physically narrower than I and I couldn't see him in my side view mirrors.

Luckily I wasn't going fast and he landed on his horn. No damage done but the lesson lasts!
Old 10-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #30

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
I drive a tractor trailer. One morning I pulled in to an entrance, locked. I sat for a few minutes, then decided to back out. Backed right in to another (smaller) truck who had pulled in behind me. He was physically narrower than I and I couldn't see him in my side view mirrors.

Luckily I wasn't going fast and he landed on his horn. No damage done but the lesson lasts!
I have had people do this while I was moving backwards while backing.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #31

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2020 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Something my Dad taught me when I was a kid and backing our stock trailers; when you get ready to pull up and back into a spot, turn your vehicle in the same direction from where you are backing. When you pull ahead a little in the same direction, it will put a slight angle in the tow vehicle and the trailer. This will point the trailer’s rear towards the parking space. You can then start backing slowly and the trailer will start turning without you having to really crank the steering wheel to get the trailer ‘bent’ and backing into the spot.
Slow backing, slow steering, and always get out and check your progress, if you ever have any doubt!
As mentioned above, short trailers will turn a lot quicker on a longer vehicle and long trailers will turn slower on shorter vehicles.
Don’t feel bad or embarrassed about asking for help …. just be sure they know what you are doing and what they are doing.
I am a single and I get out numerous times if I am in doubt and have no one to spot me.
I have only jacked-knifed one trailer in my whole life and it was one of my Tonka Toys truck and trailer! LOL
Have fun and be safe traveling!
Jim
Old 10-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #32

Indiana
And always remember that the wheels on the trailer is the part of the trailer you are backing. Have to keep an eye on the back end and make sure it doesn't go where you don't want to. But the wheels are where it turns so plan on where they are going.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #33

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
I purchased these Camco 44414 Wheel Chocks to use on vehicles while working on them. They were great! The whole thing is made of high-grade plastic and is very lightweight. It is sufficient enough to hold down my RV with 29-inch tires. I bought four of them and they can all stack together. Overall, I'm very pleased they're lightweight they're cheap but they're doing a job I have not had any problems with them and I have used them a few times.
All in all, I still recommend the Camco 44414 to those who are searching for a dependable set of wheel chocks. This product is absolutely reliable in keeping your RV safe while you are changing your wheel on the roadside or while you are stationed at the trailer park.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #34

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
After we bought our Casita, I was determined to learn how to back it up. So one nice Sunday, when no one was at work, we went to a nearby State government building, one with lots of H type parking spaces (the H being the stripes on the asphalt). Then my husband got out, and I started to back up. I'd pull forward, back up, trying to stay between the H lines. I kept crossing the lines, so I'd pull up and try again. I must have done that a dozen times when suddenly, from the heavily wooded sidelines, a (probably homeless) man screamed from the forest, "for god's sakes, woman, just PICK ONE!"

As you can imagine, I couldn't breathe for laughing so hard...
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote