When did Scamp 16 Side Dinette Arrive? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
When did Scamp 16 Side Dinette Arrive?

Hello! While perusing For Sale Ads it seems most the 16 foot Scamps I'm running across have the front bath/side dinette set up (only sleeping 3). Can anybody tell me when this began being offered? That way if I see a 19XX I'll automatically know it should have front bunks (and sleep 4) since the side dinette wasnt being offered before a particular year.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I think 1995
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Wow! Didnt think it was that long ago based on Scamp's Website saying something about "you asked, we listened" blah blah blah now offering side dinette etc etc.... I'm surprised I'm not finding more front bunk models then, the side dinetted must be super popular.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Yes, super popular! Most of us want a table. Since they came out the twin bed model came out from Casita. I think I would like that even more. Wish Scamp made the twin beds model like Casita does.
If having kids the front bunk model is the way to go. Kids can eat on their bottom bunk if need be.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Harry Young trailer
1995 16' Scamp - side dinette
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tte-34766.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
Wish Scamp made the twin beds model like Casita does.
Scamp did make at least ONE twin beds trailer, I saw it in an Ebay ad a couple of years ago.

They advertise that If order a new trailer and you choose a Custom Deluxe Wood Interior, they will work with you to make ANY floorplan you want, not just one of their stock floorplans. Or they used to. I haven't visited the Scamp website for a while...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

Oh wow, twin beds would be awesome! Wonder if you can still get bunks in the front with twins in the back.....
Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Oh wow, twin beds would be awesome! Wonder if you can still get bunks in the front with twins in the back.....
You probably could get that arrangement, but most likely could not include a bathroom. A standard Casita Liberty (not Deluxe) can be ordered with twin beds and bunks across the front. Unfortunately, that model does not include a bathroom or a closet.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
There is just so much which can be squeeze into a 13' cabin. Casitas have an extra foot on the Scamps to allow longer area for twin beds.

Someone good with their hands at remodeling might be able to finagle a bunk over the rear bed in a 16' Side Dinette Scamp. Or perhaps a bunk could be designed to fit over the side dinette bed.

Our first TT, a '83 20' Komfort Lite had some hangers [in front where the bed or beds could be made up in the dinette area] were a "bunk" could be hung. A somewhat hammock like bunk. We never actually used it. It was a bunkhouse model with bunks in the rear on one side.

But twin beds, which we would love to have in ours, just can't be done to fit someone around 6'. Just not enough room for a simple remodel. But at the factory, perhaps they could/would be willing to do so in the Custom Deluxe Wood model. The answer would be only a phone call away. Ha! Even one with front bunks shouldn't be too much to ask, not sure about having the room for a bath. Unless you leave off the galley area (kitchen).
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Someone good with their hands at remodeling might be able to finagle a bunk over the rear bed in a 16' Side Dinette Scamp. Or perhaps a bunk could be designed to fit over the side dinette bed.
Both of these things have been done. Somewhere here on FiberglassRV there are descriptions and pictures.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #11

I've been Scouring this site as well as the Casita site looking to see if anybody has found a good way to add a rear bunk. I've seen a few bunks added to the Casita side dinette and one permanent 3/4 sized Army bunk added over the rear bed in a Burro I think it was but it doesnt look like anybody has actually added a bunk over the rear which still allowed the dinette to be used for eating like the vintage Trailers did. It would even solve the problem of crawling over one's other half in the night. I'm barely 5 ft tall so it doesnt have to be huge. I'm hoping once we actually see a Scamp in person the ideas will flow more freely. I wonder if there is a reason why none of the current FG manufacturers offer front AND rear bunks. Everybody would get more sleeping space.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy Low sales volume or difficult installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I wonder if there is a reason why none of the current FG manufacturers offer front AND rear bunks. Everybody would get more sleeping space.
My best guess would be that the percentage of buyers demanding upper bunks is low.

Out of the 35 known Fiber Streams on the road today, mine is the ONLY one with the optional factory upper bunk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Child's Upper Bunk.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	31856

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	31857
There isn't a lot of space above the standard window openings. My bunk has at best 14" (12" between the 2" thick mattress and the ceiling). Not enough room to roll over. It also has a weight limit of 80 pounds, which I am already close to by hanging the TV set from the bottom of it.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #13

Very nice setup Fred! Ya, I can see where the bunk would need to be lower in that pix so then a removable design would make more sense. As Americans get "Fluffier" you'd think bunks would be a natural option. Even when we were newly weds 20 years ago and slim we still wanted our space to stretch out. We dont even like it if our feet touch, lol. It's looking more and more like a cot placed in the center isle is gonna be the best option.....thankfully I'm the only one who ever gets up in the night so I'll take the cot.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #14

As far as I know, and I've known to be wrong... Escape Trailers are the only current manufacturers building a overhead bunk that's warranted to hold 250 lbs.... or maybe it's 200 lbs, can't find it on their website. Scamp's front bunk is wimpy in comparison.

On molded trailers bunk supports are tabbed onto the shell, whereas vintage trailers use a frame that supports can be screwed/bolted too, it's was far easier/cheaper to build a removable bunk into something with a frame than a molded trailer.

But given enough time/effort/money anything is possible. If someone wanted a removable top bunk over a rear dinette, it can be done. How convenient it would be to use, would be subjective however.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have solved the narrowness of the Scamp's rear bed by sleeping as sardines are packed, one sleeping east to west, the other west to east. We started last year on the way home from North Dakota, and it has been working well for us without a problem of anyone kicking the other in the face. It gives us much more shoulder room.

A cot might work, may need to be an extra narrow one. A narrow air mattress might also work.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
We have solved the narrowness of the Scamp's rear bed by sleeping as sardines are packed, one sleeping east to west, the other west to east.
Years ago, in my backpacking days we called this sleeping arrangement (in a pup tent) sleeping toes-to-nose. Works well when someone is a snorer too.

Tags
scamp