When is it over? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Just projecting ahead, trying picture myself hooking up the trailer and going out camping when I'm 80+

My mind says sure no problem, but I don't remember meeting many 80+'ers out there.

I realize this is a topic that no one want to face, like life insurance. But for planning ahead I need to consider it.
What say you all?

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I say "Plan to be doing it!" The alternative is unthinkable. Power of positive thinking and all that.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think there is a magic age that anyone could say 'Now is the time.' So many things creep up on ya. Like maybe not driving in the rain, then not driving at night, I'd still prefer to wear out than rust out. Once I got to the point that I wouldn't want to tug my own trailer, I may look to hire it done. At least take it someplace where it could be parked for a month or two.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.......I'll be "doin' it" just as long as I possibly can. We plan on doing more trips this coming year (with my pending retirement) but alas, my co-pilot/navigator will have to keep att'er for another handful of years. She cannot take her full alotment of vacation time all at once in high season, which will be fine for us as the low(er) season always finds more room and quieter places to set up The Egg Crate.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am setting up for retirement now----We both got our pass ports the other day-----We have new trailer on order and have a new Tow Vehical. We have 3 major RVing trips planned out also hoping for lots of local outings. I beleive we will keep going as long as i can hook up and drive/tow safely.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #6

Ah I think Chester hit it. " As long as I can tow safely"
When I become a hazard to others that will be the time.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I just married a younger one and when I'm 80 she'll be prime driving/towing age of 68...
We should be able to keep going till I'm in the 90's.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Ah I think Chester hit it. " As long as I can tow safely"
When I become a hazard to others that will be the time.
Thanks
How will you know when that is? Before, or after YOU hit something?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hello dear fiberglass egg friends - As a full timer at 77 years young I have turned most of the driving over to Leslie Ann (my wife) who is a few years younger. We have found that she is a much better driver than I am. She can back into a very tight place with the ease of a professional driver. We have become a team at parking and driving. I am good with the maps and the GPS (micro soft Mary). I sleep well also... We will be traveling for a good many years to come. See you all down the road!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Health issues can sneak up and clobber the best of intentions. The rest of your life starts right now, not at retirement; make sure you get out and enjoy yourself.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
I just married a younger one and when I'm 80 she'll be prime driving/towing age of 68...
We should be able to keep going till I'm in the 90's.
H-David - Sounds like good planning to me!

I'm 71, retired in 98, was slowed down for a couple of years by three back surgeries, but going again now. When we retired the PIC had only been to three states and now she has only to tour Iowa to complete the lower 48 map and talks about doing the Alaska trip thing. Looking forward to many more trips and mods.

Get up, give thanks for the morning, put a smile on your face, give your loved one a good hug, tell them you are glad they are with you, tell them you love them, hit the old 30 min a day exercise routine, have a good breakfast and enjoy the day!

When is it over? Guess it will happen but I'm too busy to think about it right now.
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I think it will happen like the progression most of us have been through. At first you can only afford to tent camp, then you decide there are issues to keep you from that, so you move through the PU stage. Many of us decide we don't want the bother and slight discomforts that go along with that, so we move to something hard sided and then onto bigger, or a MH. We eventually find that bigger is more hassle than our simple, comfy eggs, especially since the kids are now gone. We realize we have more freedom with less.

I think we will finally just get to point where there are things we have to do to take the precious egg out that we just go less and less. Then one day, we will look out there and decide it would be far more compassionate to allow our little treasure to continue to give another the pleasure for which it was built.

Of course, there will be the hold outs that leave it to the kids to have to deal with. The kids will look at it and remember all the pleasure it brought to us and tearfully find it a new home, all the while wishing they could keep it. They know it just wouldn't work out because they all have 2 or 3 kids and it just isn't big enough.

Somehow, I believe all the memories will be locked in there and many of us will have the photos to prove it. You know, the kind you hold in you hands and can lovingly pin on the bulletin board in your nursing home room so the aides can ask you about them over and over.

So, just the thought of no longer camping is unpleasant enough we should just keep on keeping on and let what comes, come.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Well there was that fella a few years back that made the news cause he got buried in his prize Cadillac........ Hmmmm, gets one to thinkin..
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
My plan is to camp with my Escape until it becomes too much of a hassle/dangerous to tow a vehicle - and then I'll sell it and buy a small conversion van or Class B (Gulfstream BT Cruiser comes to mind) and keep camping until they take my drivers license away.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't think any particular age is a useful decision point. Physical ability - to drive, to set up and take down camp, and to take care of oneself - should be the deciding factor. Yes, there is the problem of recognizing that point, but I hope I have the good sense when my time comes to be getting frequent physical exams and taking the advice of those in a better position to judge, such as my doctor and my family... before the decision is forced on me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
The man and wife that bought my Scamp came all the way from California to get it here in Minnesota. He was in his early 90's and he was just starting to camp so he said. Got to give him credit! Nothing was stopping him from enjoying his last yrs on earth. He was enjoying himself. Wife was not in the best of health, but he was taking her camping.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
We had an elderly couple come to one of the boler campouts. He walked with two canes and she had arthritis.They pulled into the camp area and about four or five men imediatly helped to park and get them set up. At the end of the weekend there was help to pack and get everything roadready again. They enjoyed the weekend so much that they came back the next year.
If you stay at home you'll rust. If that happens you'll disintigrate. If you can get it down the road this group will help make your camping worthwhile.
"Just DO it"
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 2005 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
My wife & I are both 82 and we camped this last summer. We did not take any long trips but restricted ourselves to places within a one day drive of home. I hope next summer to be able to take a three day trip going and coming but we will have to wait and see. Just stay off the Intrstates and take your time without trying to see how far you can go in a day. 300 to 350 absolute tops and stop by 4 and you have time to relax and enjoy yourself. Tom
Tom & Virginia Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #19

Tom,
Thanks for the encouraging message. Our plan is to move to Tennessee when we retire and be with 6 hours of fabulous camping in any direction.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
Laura and I are still young, so I was not going to chime in but after reading this a few times I thought I would add our thought on "When is it over?"
Laura and I both agree its is over when we can't get up and go anymore and not one second sooner. We are going to be that old couple that are a mennace to society , Bad driving slow moving but still getting after it. No coasting in to the next life but rather skidding in and yelling at the top of our lungs....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote