When is the best time to buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Registry
When is the best time to buy?

I'm in the market for a camper and Assn wondering if it would be better to wait and buy diverging on September our October rather then now. Any thoughts?
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Prices fall in the off season, but then so does selection, as folks wait to sell when they can get a better price.

I'd suggest to just keep shopping and buy when you find an egg that seems like a good value to you. Location can be a good part of the equation.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
February is a good buyers' month with snow on the ground and no sun in sight. As Tom mentions, few sellers are out of sync with peak demand but there are some.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The best time to buy is a bit ahead of when your plans call for needing it as it can take some time to locate what you want. A 3 to 6 month search is not unusual for these lil gems.

Timing can also depend on what you want. If you want a project trailer that you will need for next camping season then you need to allow enough lead time to locate a trailer and then complete restoration so that it is usable. Project trailers have been harder to come by the last few years as well.

Prices are the lowest on the trailers going into the Nov through Feb time period but selection is lowest as well. March through September prices are normally the strongest with 2013 seeing some of the strongest prices and shortest selling times for used trailers we've seen in years. However, location can factor into that since some Canadians tend not to list trailers in the winter months because they can't get to them.

I guess to sum up, the best time to buy a trailer in my opinion is when you see the trailer you want because locating and getting to the one you want in time is the most difficult part of looking for a molded fiberglass travel trailer.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Yea, buy when you find one you want. Fiberglass units holds their value pretty well.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I guess to sum up, the best time to buy a trailer in my opinion is when you see the trailer you want because locating and getting to the one you want in time is the most difficult part of looking for a molded fiberglass travel trailer.
I agree. I am certainly no expert in the RV market, but my thinking is that while more common trailer types are essentially commodities, moulded fiberglass trailers are a specialty item. If you don't buy the stick-built box that you see today, there will be another one to buy tomorrow, another next week, and another next month. There are lots of them and market forces control their prices in a seasonal way. Eggs - not so much.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Best time to buy? When you have the money!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Compact II
You have the cash , found what you want, and the price is fair -thats the time.
John O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It depends on what you are looking for in a manufacturer and how specific you are in size and amenities. I've been looking this year and starting in about April, the units start coming on the market and disappearing sort of fast but now, I see many more on the market and some are dropping their prices and I'm guessing that these are the ones that are serious about selling and may be more willing to bargain as winter sets in. Some people in any market sort of "fish" in that they put something on the market and are not intent on selling it but if they could get a certain price, they will sell and I cannot imagine the FGRV community would be any different in that respect.

I do think it depends on what you are looking for though. Make sure you are checking craiglist in your area and oodle is good because it compiles a lot of other sources. It also makes a difference in how far you are willing to travel to purchase a unit.

So many variables. If price is crucial, I'd try waiting out the busy season. I'm a bargain shopper so my opinion will probably not appeal to everyone.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Decide what you want in your 'ideal' unit.
Decide what you can live without or have installed later.
Know whether you need it to be in great shape or want to do some fixing.
Have some idea of how far you are prepared to drive to see one.
Be realistic about your price range and what that is typically buying
though sometimes you can get a 'steal'.

Keep looking (including along country roads, small town backyards and the furthest corner of used car lots and stick camper dealers.
Don't be shy - knock on that farmhouse door and ask about the old trailer out back.
Talk about what you are looking for (sometimes someone knows someone who has one they never use).
Check ads wherever you can.

Good luck!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #11

Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Cathy P for pointing me to oodle.com. I had never heard of it, and I found some additional eggs that I hadn't known were on the market. Timing does seem to be crucial to getting an egg. There was one I was interested in, but I work on the weekends, and it was gone this afternoon. Couldn't even get down to look at it. But there always seem to be more on the market, so availability, and opportunity will just have to come together at the right moment for me. Frankly, I am enjoying the hnt, and every day am learning more about FGRV's.
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O View Post
You have the cash , found what you want, and the price is fair -thats the time.
Eggsactly!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
As soon as you find one. I almost didnt buy my scamp. Almost a year later, I haven't seen one sell anywhere hear as low as I paid. I really would have hated myself.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have bought several Eggs and the one thing they all had in common was......I had to drop everything else I was doing and go to them the moment I discovered they were available and decided that I wanted a shot at the purchase!

Just the way it works with these trailers,really!

So far I have not yet found one local to me,not even close really and I have almost lost out on every one of them as the seller was tempted by a higher dollar offer as I was in route to complete a deal.

I know if you are new here this might be tough to accept but it does really work like this with our less common but uniquely valued rigs.

But when you find one you want and can afford to pounce on it.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote