Where are all the Burros? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Some years ago, when I drove from Fresno to SF, I would pass a trailer sale place with Burros, I think in Los Banos. That's probably what got me interested in them in the first place, though I had no money then for a new trailer or even the one used one I ran across.

So they were sold in this area, within an hour of me, I imagine as long as they were in production. I'm just surprised I don't see any, and proportionately haven't run across many for sale in California.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Bobbie:

I have no idea what the production numbers were for the various Burro production sites, but the total must have been fairly large, also including the industrial-strength U-Haul models which are genetically very close.

We got our in August 2000 a couple of weeks after it was made, but I have yet to see one made after that.

I'd venture to say that finding them on a lot somewhere will be very difficult. The Burros have acquired a cult following and as soon as one is for sale they seem to get snapped up.

What sets them apart from the others seems to drive the owners into a kind of fanaticism (I've heard), and the only way to get one is usually to have cash in hand and mind in gear and pretend you are a person of action. The rare buying opportunities are lost when one hesitates more than,say, 7-9 seconds.

So, if you are OK with the also-rans you have many choices, but a Burro? Only a few are chosen and we tend to hang onto them for dear life. (I'm already making plans for keeping mine when gas is no longer available. Front and rear axle conversion and a seat in front with a harness setup for a horse. A horse pulling a Burro, now there's an idea!)
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #3

Registry
It makes sense that the Burros might not be for sale, but I never SEE them, either. I would have noticed if I did, though come to think of it, I rarely see any kind of egg on the road. Lots of motorhomes, fifth wheels, and the occasional trailer, but never a small trailer. I've seen one or two tent trailers or A-frames at agility trials. Considering two are still made and two were made until recently (Burro and Boler) you would think they'd be more visible.

I guess it is the "bigger is better" mentality-sigh. Personally I cannot see spending more than my first house on a motor vehicle with an engine that cannot last forever, but lots of people do it.

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Funny, my husband and I ask where are all the fiberglass eggs too, but we thought that it was just because our travels were to FL and TX this year. We thought that all the eggs were west. In fact, we thought that the reason that our Burro did not sell immediately was because we were not out west.
However, we really like the Burro lines, so we were looking for the longer version Burro and were thrilled that we were able to find our UHaul. So for another 18 hours, we have two on our parking pad, one all finished and one being worked on. Then Jenny moves south to Indiana.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00099.JPG  
Old 04-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Bobbie - Have you had a chance to take the campster to a trial yet? When I was taking the big dog to trials - well, that's what got me started on the egg quest (saw a Bigfoot at a trial and it was all over for me).

Seemed like a good way to hang out...

Click image for larger version

Name:	novgamble20in__0786.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7294
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie - Have you had a chance to take the campster to a trial yet?
Haha, I have not even SEEN the Campster yet. One more month, minimum, before I can head for Washington where it is being stored for me. The first dog show will probably be in Arcata, CA, in August, which will be interesting as I'll have all five dogs with me (in transit back to Washington, assuming my almost-16 year old Lab is still with us.)

I'm camping in a tent at a trial next month. We like doing that (boy, do inflateable mattresses improve tent-camping!) The dogs like to kick back with me in the tent when we have enough down-time and I think we rest better at night than in a motel. So I'm hoping the Campster will be the same, only warmer in the winter and once I put in AC, cooler in the summer.

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #7

I found hanging under the ez up with 1000 other competitors to be pretty stressful for me AND the doggies...

5 dogs! that's a handful... I've only got 2 - one VERY big (pic) and one pretty big (shep/lab/shar pei mix)... but both of them are twirly...

training the younger one now... if I can make agility relaxing instead of stressful and she likes it, we might compete...
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #8

Registry
Try CPE. It's a much more laid back atmosphere.

I have four corgis and the geriatric Labrador. (I'm only supposed to have four altogether, but I got Jack when Abby was almost 15 and figured the overlap wouldn't last as long as it has.)

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #9

corgis seem like very cool dogs
Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #10

where we train is pretty much AKC oriented... NADAC was a very big surprise for both the Big One and I... much faster (big, long, open) courses than anything we'd ever seen before...

a little bit of CPE down here in So Cal, but not too much - I'll have to check the schedule.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #11

Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merlintunnel.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	7295

This is Merlin, my oldest corgi, who is just past 9 (8 in this picture.)

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #12

he looks like he's got a little bit o' mischief in him

Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
It makes sense that the Burros might not be for sale, but I never SEE them, either. I would have noticed if I did, though come to think of it, I rarely see any kind of egg on the road.

Bobbie
Bobbie, actually if you think about all of the RVs that have been sold, and all of those you see sitting on mega-dealer's lots, it's amazing how very few RVs of any kind at all on the road at any given time; and especially not in the cold months up north. You'd think they'd be thick as flies, but unless you're around a resort area like the Black Hills or one of the more popular national parks, you really just don't see that many of them on the road.

Add to that the relatively small production numbers of all fiberglass trailers put together, what's unusual is that you see any of them at all!

A couple of years ago, when we still had our Airstream 34', we booked a weekend at the Minneapolis area Airstream park. As we were headed northbound through the greater Minneapolis metro area, who should we see headed southbound returning from a trip but Jack and Barb Maloney in their Subaru pulling the UHaul CT13 I sold him just a year before! Now THAT was a coincidence!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
You'd think they'd be thick as flies, but unless you're around a resort area like the Black Hills or one of the more popular national parks, you really just don't see that many of them on the road.
Try heading up 101 on a summer day!

I see a lot of RV's on the road, but then, we are close to three national parks. Not so many trailers.

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Try heading up 101 on a summer day!

Bobbie
I did. And headed down 101. For years. Why do you think I live in Iowa now?

Roger
Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Eggs are all but unheard of in the Northeast. The ONLY ones I can remember seeing in person are 13' and 16' Scamps.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Well, I am sitting in one.

I am staring at one across from me..

what ARE you talking about????

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #18

Registry
Well, now we know where all two of them are!!!

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My old one is in Seattle (sigh, and I am not) and I saw one running from me last weekend.. there's 4 LOL!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #20

MY old one's in Chicago. That's five...

Roger