Where Do I Get Water? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Where Do I Get Water?

Does anyone know of a web site that lists places where you can get potable water around the country? RV Dump Stations lists dump sites and if water is available. Has anyone found a better web site?

I plan on staying at several NPS campgrounds that don't have water hookups.

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I don't have the answer, but have seen where many
carry extra water in those collapsible water cans to
extend their staying capabilities.

I'm sure others will have some answers.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, 5 gallon Coleman collapsible water cubes work great, and take up little space when not needed.

Another fall back are the 2.5 gallon drinking water cubes sold in most grocery stores, but a bit expensive for flushing duties.

FWIW: I have only been in a very few National Park campgrounds that have "water hook-ups", but most, except places like Joshua Tree NP and remote campgrounds, almost always have water.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Rest areas, truck stops, and gas stations often have potable water. I carry a plastic jerrycan and fill at their potable water spigot. If no spigot then you can fill the jerrycan from a water fountain or sink using a gallon jug or a two liter bottle.
All you have to do is ask and they are almost always helpful.
This year, on our Florida trip,when we got below the frostline, we filled our water tank at a rest area.I asked a worker where I could get water and he actually took my Jerrycan into the utility room and filled it for me... twice!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Won't help you find water, but a Water Thief can help get it at times.

Water Thief - Stanley Oliver Products 0176 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Water Thief is a very handy item to have. Many National parks will have a dish washing areas in the camping areas with sinks etc that if you have a long hose you can pull up fairly close to and attach the Water Thief to the sink faucet and fill your trailer tank up before heading to your actual camping site and setting up camp. After that is simple a matter of using a small portable water carrier to keep the tank topped up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Keep in mind that you might need the Water Thief because the water you are trying to "steal" isn't potable water, so they don't make it easy to just attach a hose.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Keep in mind that you might need the Water Thief because the water you are trying to "steal" isn't potable water, so they don't make it easy to just attach a hose.
Yup its designed to go right over water facets/spigots that don't have any threads on them for screwing on a hose. Comes in handy when getting water at highway rest stops, State and National parks central water/washing stations.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Good to know. Learn something today. YAAAAAAAAA I'll order one.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
That's a good point, you should always be sure of the water quality you put in your trailer...
but the water thief is mostly intended to be used at a sink, or indoor faucet,since they are seldom threaded.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you use a long hose with a water thief, a couple of hose clamps are very handy!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #12

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I have and use a water their. Stopped at a US Forest campground in Montana. Needed water for the tank. The campground had a water faucet marked for drinking. Pushed the thief on the brass faucet turned on the water filled the tank.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
The Allstays site will give you the information you want, though you have to check individual camgrounds for complete information. The link is: allstays.com/Campgrounds/California-campground-map.htm
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
The unthreaded faucets are often used because they are easier to keep clean and they also prevent certain types from connecting a hose for their trailer or motorhome city water input, thus preventing other from getting water.

I don't ever remember seeing non-potable water in the U.S. unless it was clearly marked. I know that isn't perfect sense, but non-potable water is very rare in public areas.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #15

Registry
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;449281

I don't ever remember seeing non-potable water in the U.S. unless it was clearly marked. I know that isn't perfect sense, but non-potable water is very rare in public areas.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed in my travels that at a number of dump stations in State parks for example that their will be a sign on the water supply indicating it is not to be used for drinking water.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Does anyone know of a web site that lists places where you can get potable water around the country? RV Dump Stations lists dump sites and if water is available. Has anyone found a better web site?

I plan on staying at several NPS campgrounds that don't have water hookups.

Thanks
Every National Park that has camping I ever been in also had water available. Not everybody camps in trailer or RV some actually use tents and don't carry water. The older campgrounds were designed for tents.
As far as hook-ups goes we've camped for up to 3.5 months without having any hookups. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have noticed in my travels that at a number of dump stations in State parks for example that their will be a sign on the water supply indicating it is not to be used for drinking water.
While some dump stations may be using non-potable water for washing down the drain area, the real reason for that sign is to discourage anyone from using the washdown hose, that's been laying in the sewage spills, and filling their water tank from it. Yuk.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
While some dump stations may be using non-potable water for washing down the drain area, the real reason for that sign is to discourage anyone from using the washdown hose, that's been laying in the sewage spills, and filling their water tank from it. Yuk.
Not necessarily. In some cases the water hose has been separate (located much further ahead in the dump area) from the wash down hose. In one case I spoke with park ranger and the reason for it and I was told that the fresh water well supply had become contaiminated due to the sceptic tank system they were using at the dump station being inadequate/aging and leaching somehow into the well water.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Get bottled water at any grocery, Walmart, Kmart store.
Freeze it B 4 you depart and place it in your fridge and/or cooler. It will assist in keeping things cold and will provide U with clean drinking water.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Dump Station Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have to agree with Bob The water at most dump stations is potable water but is contaminated by the wash down hose . It would be expensive to run two isolated water systems One potable and one non potable There is a very limited use for non potable water in other than industrial of commercial applications The water you use at home to flush your toilet or water your grass is potable
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote