Where to Find a Canopy/Carport with 9' Clearance? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #21

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Our canopy is similar to the one gordon2 has. We are in Winnipeg and get plenty of snow so in order to preserve the canopy and keep the poles from bending under the weight, we do go out during a snowfall and push up from the underside with a wide broom so the snow slides off. The bungees that attach the tarp are fairly forgiving but any slackness in the tarp will collect water so same procedure applies. I prefer to do that than have to fix roof sag on the trailer itself. Been there and since our trailer is currently being renovated and I have not done the window seals yet, it keeps things nice and dry inside.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #22

Name: Nick
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Exclamation Use a foundation

You can get the 12 x 12 boards they use to make raised bed gardens. Place your "sheltor Logic" structure on this foundation. If raising up 12" is not enough use two sets.

You will need to anchor this foudation into the ground. You can use 3ft long sections of rebar drilled through the wood and driven into the ground. Use 3 or 4 per side.

An alternative is to build a low wall foundation out of concrete blocks.

I also advise you to get a "shelter logic" (or other brand) that has the ten year warrenty. It is considerable more expense to buy but a year or two down the road you will be happy you got the better unit.
Nick Loy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 13
British Columbia
I used the Shelterlogic 10X20 round top canopy in North West BC. I built a wood frame around the perimeter of the base using Treated 2x6 directly on the ground then building it up using a couple of 4X4s on top. Raised mine sufficiently for my trailer. I then anchored the canopy to the wood base. Across the front, place a piece of flat steel or aluminum to keep the door width. We get some very high winds here, and the first year it actually lifted the whole unit and moved it about 6 inches sideways. After that year I placed 2 foot pieces of Railway steel between each frame member. hasn't moved since then. We also get some great snowfalls, which the canopy can handle, but when it rains after, I have to clear the snow off the roof with a snow rake. been 6 years now, and still standing.
COMSULT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #24

Name: richard
Trailer: "In the market"
South Carolina
shelter logic

I've kept my 17' Casita in a "Shelter logic" for two years now. Works great.

For extra height, I used common concrete blocks like the ones used for house construction. Used a bag of sakrete to anchor lag bolts inside the void in the blocks. Attached 2x4's to the lag bolts. Attached the shelter logic to the 2x4's. Plenty of room at the peak for the a/c unit.

You have to undo the front of the shelter to move the trailer in and out, as the zippered 'door' is not tall enough.
tarpkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #25

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
I was looking for an inexpensive canopy to serve as a carport for our Casita. 10x20 ones are widely available from companies like Shelter Logic, but their peak height is 9', which doesn't leave room inside for the AC unit on the Casita, which reaches 9' and is at least 2' wide.

Found a 12x20 carport from Amazon and eBay called Peaktop, but a user says it's a couple inches short of 9'.

Of course you can spend thousands on fancy carports, but I'm not looking to spend more than $400 or so.

Suggestions? —LEJ
Best would be the metal carport, they can simply add legs; next thought was 2x4 x 2-foot high walls under legs for tent/tarp roof, but suspect just lumber for those walls would be $400+?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Of course you can spend thousands on fancy carports, but I'm not looking to spend more than $400 or so.

Suggestions? —LEJ
At the risk of sounding a bit snarky, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "You get what you pay for."
Why would you buy a nice trailer and want to put it under a cheaply made inferior POS that will probably fail very soon, (if not during the first snowfall.) Just sayin.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1.JPG   House.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
At the risk of sounding a bit snarky, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "You get what you pay for."
Why would you buy a nice trailer and want to put it under a cheaply made inferior POS that will probably fail very soon, (if not during the first snowfall.) Just sayin.
You have a point. But I have a nice car, a Ford Expedition, and that sits outdoors, too. There are questions of space. Our Casita sits under a bunch of trees, and so gets very dirty if I don't cover it.

Have to admit, one of those steel carports would be cool. . .

Did you add windows to the side and front of your Casita?

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #28

Washington
Registry
Quote:
You have a point. But I have a nice car, a Ford Expedition, and that sits outdoors, too. There are questions of space. Our Casita sits under a bunch of trees, and so gets very dirty if I don't cover it.

I fully understand the "under trees" part quite well. If you look at my second picture, (front view of my carport,) if you look to the right side of the picture you will notice a few of my next door neighbor's giant sap-dripping fir trees, which was my main motivation for springing for the carport cover in the beginning. Nothing worse than having to clean off all that pine tree pitch that gets all over everything.

Have to admit, one of those steel carports would be cool. . .

Thanks

Did you add windows to the side and front of your Casita?
Yes, the added front window was one of my first mods I ever did when it was new. While I love the trailer, I immediately hated not being able to see anything in front of the trailer, (i.e. keep an eye on my tow vehicle,) if I heard something, without having to go outside to look. I also converted the outside front convenience light that sits over the propane tanks to a 3-way switch with another 3-way switch mounted inside, so if it's dark out I can flip the switch and illuminate the whole front area. I can use either switch from either position.

The galley window adds a lot of light and brightens up that whole galley area which used to be a dark and dreary area before it's addition.
Attached Thumbnails
040 (Large).jpg   IMG_0016 (2).jpg  

Keder Rail2.JPG   IMG_0006.jpg  

casita1 002 (Medium).JPG  
Old 11-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #29

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
We use a Costco 10X20. I used pier blocks at each leg. I installed eye bolts in each pier block. I used smaller eye bolts at the height of the footing bolt. I added ratchet straps from the cross pieces down to the eye bolts. We are heading into our 3rd winter here in Lake Stevens Washington with no problems. The first snow fall I added ratchet straps across the roof to help support snow fall.
I will probably need to replace the roof section next year.
Bgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #30

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Well, I got the Advance 10x20 'Upgraded' eight-leg model with adjustable height (peak up to 11') from Walmart on-line, for $300.

My wife and I spent the better part of a day setting it up. I'm sure most of you could do it much faster, but the instructions were puzzling in places, and wrestling with the semi-completed structure was difficult. But we succeeded. I drove short metal fenceposts into the ground at the four corners, and attached them to the legs with big U-bolts, as suggested by GatorCasita. Probably should do the remaining four legs as well.

Today we got the Casita backed in. We ended up spending even more time positioning the trailer so the door didn't hit a post; had to move it off-center a bit; still fits under the canopy, and we didn't even use the last extension for the legs.

Now we'll see how it fares for the winter. First frost the other night (late this year), so I've now got to think about winterizing. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. —LEJ
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6546_sm.jpg  

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #31

Washington
Registry
I wouldn't be as concerned with "frost" as I would be with "snow load." Best of luck with it. I grew up back east and remember shoveling snow as deep as my young butt when I was a kid. (We used to make a lot of money shoveling driveways back then.)