Where were your trailer tires made? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
My TowMaster tires were made in the Goodyear plant at Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada
Look up your code at: http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
The first two letters after DOT on the tire sidewall is the code.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Goodyear Marathons were made in New Zealand.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There's a Link to one of the subpages from Craig's site above in Helpful Links -- We should probably change that link to Craig's link -- Donna, are you listening?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Goodyear HMG2020's
Made in Indonesia
Also on sidewall says "Not for Sale - Property of U-Haul"
$69 each at dealer in Hickory, NC

P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Bought 17' Casita SD in 2002 and have about 20,000 miles on Goodyear Marathons made in Canada and no problems so far, leaving next Monday for a 1,500 to 2,000 mile trip and will see how they do.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
This thread is sort of interesting but....... I don't see where it is leading.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
With some people having tire trouble I think that the original poster was wanting to know if the place ( country ) that the tire was made had to do with tire problems??????
I am on several forums and people have trouble with about every brand of tires out their.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
If there is a lot more trouble with trailer tires than motor vehicle tires then mabee the problem is the trailer and not the tire, as the same manufacturer makes both in most cases, and some owners are using automotive tires on their trailers. Most owners don't think about balanceand alignment when ordering new trailer tires. as with your car this can make a big difference in the life of a tire.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #9

James,
I really don’t think that this discussion needs to be going anywhere. It was not my intention to promote one brand over another or to convert those who choose to run passenger car tires. If anything, charting brands and plant of origin would probably show us just how few choices there really are when it comes to trailer tires. OK! I admit that I prefer a tire made in the United States or Canada but not because I think that they are better quality than tires made in China. On that subject, my motive is purely economic and political.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Craig,

My Goodyear Marathon's were made in New Zealand. The Marathons are causing problems just like the older Carlises did because of poor construction. I am ordering Kumhos today as one of my Marathons threw a chunk of rubber off during our recent trip through New Brunswick (what a beautiful country!). Tires are kind of like shingles on a house...you never know what you are going to get! IMO

Randy:-)
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I just checked the code from the Goodyear Marathons that failed a couple summer ago on my Scamp; the code was PL, and they were manufactured at the The Kelly-Springfield Tire Company plant in Tyler Texas.

I've not looked up the codes on my present set of tires, but I can tell you I replaced them with the same Goodyear Marathon trailer tires I had previously.

Did Goodyear buy Kelley Springfield?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #12

Goodyear purchased Kelly-Springfield in 1935.

Goodyear also controls Japan's Sumitomo Rubber Industries North American operations. SRI is the maker of Dunlop tires. The Carlisle tires that came on my 1999 Casita were made in the Dunlop plant at Huntsville, Alabama.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Goodyear HMG2020's
Made in Indonesia
Also on sidewall says "Not for Sale - Property of U-Haul"
$69 each at dealer in Hickory, NC

P
Palmer, I had these tires on mine till this summer and they were great tires, they are not radials but bias belt. They were "D" rated at about 2040 lbs each and 6 or 8 ply (can't remember which) mounted & balanced about $145.00, 3 yrs ago. I had one that the tread wore out much faster than the other and the only thing I could figure was that where I store the trailer that tire was the one always in the sun and it may have broke down the composition in the rubber. All thats just a guess on my part but My suggestion would be to swap them around every so many miles even if stored inside to try and relieve the problem whatever it was. I got about 23,000 miles from that one.

Now to get back to the subject of the post I had to buy tires on the road this summer so I had no choice on what to get and they are called Milestar supposedly made by Hercules or for hercules and they are made in (Booooo) China. Most tires have where they are made right on the tire but usually in very small print

Tags
tires