Which fiberglass campers are 7' wide and narrow track? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #41

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
You need to consider that none of the fiberglass trailer are designed for off-road use. The steel chassis's and elevator bolts used to bolt the fiberglass shell to the chassis under all fiberglass trailers with the exception of some of the most recent new trailer offerings are marginal at best and downright rotten when old.

If going with an older fiberglass trailer expect to remove the shell from the chassis to upgrade or replace the chassis with a better designed and constructed chassis and new mounting fastener's for the shell to chassis. Your conversion idea can most certainly be completed with some thought and fabrication skills. Given the cost of many of the "Expo Trailer" offerings in the market today I'm not surprised that more and more folks will begin to convert fiberglass shell trailers.

Uhaul yourself to inspiration from another "Overlander" who posted this Uhaul camper build on Expeditionportal.com. He transformed his 13 ft Uhaul CT13 camper into a camper they pull off-road and to campgrounds. The trailer has a modified chassis raised axle for ground clearance along with exo-skeleton to protect the trailer and allow the mounting of Kayaks and other items.
Attached Thumbnails
20180511_202021.jpg   20180511_202054.jpg  

20180511_202341.jpg   34746408_10216274761971627_494560398893121536_n.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
The Oliver's also have a very serious frame and suspension system (7,000 pounds)
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
You need to consider that none of the fiberglass trailer are designed for off-road use. The steel chassis's and elevator bolts used to bolt the fiberglass shell to the chassis under all fiberglass trailers with the exception of some of the most recent new trailer offerings are marginal at best and downright rotten when old. If going with an older fiberglass trailer expect to remove the shell from the chassis to upgrade or replace the chassis with a better designed and constructed chassis and new mounting fastener's for the shell to chassis. Your conversion idea can most certainly be completed with some thought and fabrication skills. Given the cost of many of the "Expo Trailer" offerings in the market today I'm not surprised that more and more folks will begin to convert fiberglass shell trailers.

Uhaul yourself to inspiration from another "Overlander" who posted this Uhaul camper build on Expeditionportal.com. He transformed his 13 ft Uhaul CT13 camper into a camper they pull off-road and to campgrounds. The trailer has a modified chassis raised axle for ground clearance along with exo-skeleton to protect the trailer and allow the mounting of Kayaks and other items.

Thanks vintageracer.. That's a nice uhaul!

Since I need to haul a motorcycle and more water I need a axle upgrade and knew if I decided to use something like a Uhaul, I would need a new frame able to handle the weight. But again, without a ramp door, Iv recently realized, or needed reminded, that any camper feels cramped and claustrophobic without one to me. I need a narrow track enclosed trailer and am talking to manufactures about building a 7x16 single axle to be pulled with the truck I just bought friday.
Attached Thumbnails
31357903_10155772604421973_5139307997528326144_n.jpg  
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #44

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
[QUOTE=rebar;709075]Dual axles run over a uneven surface is asking for a bent axle, because you will load one axle with your entire weight eventually.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Oliver Legacy II is a four season double hull fiberglass trailer. It has two 3,500 pound axles with the EZ-Flex and four shocks. I travel with mine on many fire roads and have run across numerous pits/trenches, etc. with no problems. The Ollie rolls over them transferring weight through the EZ Flex as needed to the adjacent axlel. That said, it is not a toy hauler.

The frame is Aluminum, with I believe 2 1/2" X 5" heavy wall tubing. The twin axles and hardware are mounted to a steel sub-frame.

JPRussell
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #45

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
to be pulled with the truck I just bought friday.

First thing to do with a 24 valve Cummins (1998.5 - 2002) is to make sure it has the most reliable lift pump possible. Absolutely change it if the stock one is still there. The stock ones are not very good and if the lift pump fails, the injection pump (VP44) does too. A small problem becomes an expensive problem.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
First thing to do with a 24 valve Cummins (1998.5 - 2002) is to make sure it has the most reliable lift pump possible. Absolutely change it if the stock one is still there. The stock ones are not very good and if the lift pump fails, the injection pump (VP44) does too. A small problem becomes an expensive problem.

Thanks Raspy..
Yes Ive read about the vp44, so I bought a 97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed 3.54. It has less than 110k on it and plan on changing all fluids, the kdp fix, advance the timing etc.. Anything to get better gas mileage because the truck wont even know there is a small toyhauler behind it.
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #47

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Anything to get better gas mileage
That's a nice truck. But it will run better on diesel.