Which fiberglass campers are 7' wide and narrow track? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Which fiberglass campers are 7' wide and narrow track?

Hello everyone.

Iv been searching for a rare narrow track enclosed trailer to convert to a overland trailer and not having much luck. Narrow track means 7' wide with wheels under in wheel wells instead of on the outside in fenders. Which keeps the trailer no wider than a full size truck.

Does anyone know which fiberglass campers fall into this category?

Thanks!
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Not sure but “little joe trailers “might fit the bill
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Many of the vintage 13' long trailers are that narrow. However they don't have sufficient ground clearance for Overlanders. Getting large diameter tires for the ground clearance is the bigger issue. It is not nearly as difficult to find a 7' wide trailer as it is to find a generous sized wheel well. Most of the smaller trailers came with 13" tires.

You should stay away from the trailers that have rivets on the outside holding the interior cabinets and partitions in place. Putting them on rough terrain is going to end up enlarging the rivet holes which will create a lot of leaks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Scamps are about 6' 6" wide.
I have not measured mine on the outside, but it is about right inside.
Accounting for various things hanging out I would guess less than 7' or very close.
The wheels are completely inside the fiberglass body.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

All Scamp and Casita trailers are 6'8" wide, along with the Escape 17. A number of smaller vintage trailers also fit the bill.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

Iowa
Thanks..
I need a nice bathroom with composting toilet and good size shower, and a kitchen with microwave sink and fridge. We dont plan on sleeping or cooking in it unless it storms.
As much as I'd like a scamp style shell to work, its round shape would be difficult to remodel for more bathroom space.
The bigfoot is square, but 8' wide.
But I digress. I just don't think I can live without a ramp door..
Attached Thumbnails
14721683_1162241410489897_3271090808750817742_n.jpg  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Sounds like you're looking for a horse trailer.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You are not likely to find a molded fiberglass toy hauler which is the type that has a ramp door on it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

What are you planning to load through the ramp door? Most molded fiberglass trailers don't have frames and suspensions designed for significant cargo carrying capacity.

Some people have removed an older molded trailer from its stock chassis and built a custom, lengthened frame with a cargo deck.

Sounds like what you're really looking for is a narrow track toy hauler. Can't think of anything off the shelf that does what you want. Molded fiberglass or not, I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Olivers are about 7' wide and the tires run almost exactly in the tracks of my full sized Ram. If I can fit the Ram, I can fit the Oliver and the standard mirrors look right down the side of the trailer with no extensions needed.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #11

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
What are you planning to load through the ramp door? Most molded fiberglass trailers don't have frames and suspensions designed for significant cargo carrying capacity.

Some people have removed an older molded trailer from its stock chassis and built a custom, lengthened frame with a cargo deck.

Sounds like what you're really looking for is a narrow track toy hauler. Can't think of anything off the shelf that does what you want. Molded fiberglass or not, I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.

I need to load a few 400# motorcycles. Definitely one.. And you read my mind about a new longer trailer frame under a small camper with room for a bike and bigger water tank in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Olivers are about 7' wide and the tires run almost exactly in the tracks of my full sized Ram. If I can fit the Ram, I can fit the Oliver and the standard mirrors look right down the side of the trailer with no extensions needed.
That's exactly the profile I need but like this thread is making me realize, I shouldn't have sold the TH in my picture. lol

Seriously though, the 24' TH was to big to escape the crowded camp grounds.. I guess I just need to keep looking for a narrow track enclosed trailer with ramp door and then deck it out.. But Iv been searching for years feels like. I found a few a few hours away but they were sold before I could get there.

I'll add that camplite and palomino both offer narrow track single axle configuration.. But again no ramp door. I wonder how difficult it would be to add a ramp door?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike, not to drag you away from this forum... but, I belong to a CTC (Cargo Trailer Conversion) group on Facebook. They're very much into converting cargo trailers into 'campers' but still be able to take their toys. You may want to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1523347697884895/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View forum - Cargo Trailer Conversions

Forum dedicated to Cargo Conversions of all kinds but not too many Fiberglass that I have seen.

As already mentioned there are just not many Fiberglass Cargo or Bike trailers in the first place.

I have converted 1 Cargo so far and really like it for all of the reasons you mentioned and it also compares favorably to the Egg in weight and is even somewhat less weight while being a whole lot of Blank Canvas inside for any layout that you want.

I also have a 2nd one in the garage awaiting conversion and this one is a Featherlite Aluminum Cargo with the ramp and the Featherlite are really one of the premium brand of trailer on the road and should make a great camper in the end.

Neither of mine have a stick of wood inside either unless I put it there building the interior out and both also have 1 piece aluminum or steel roofs for good water tight long lasting leak free lives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	122349

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3268.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	122350
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Shopping
California
I'm surprised Escape Travel Trailers haven't been mentioned yet:Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Thruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton View Post
I'm surprised Escape Travel Trailers haven't been mentioned yet:Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Jon mentioned the Escape 17 above, which is 6' 8" wide. As well, the 19 is 7' 0" wide.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The HC1 has a 7 ft wide bed ,a rear cargo door and has a frame rated to hold 3500 lbs .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #17

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
wide?

I believe our 2018 Casita Independence 17' is just under 7 feet wide, and it has wheels under the body. Ours has the hi-lift suspension.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #18

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Fiberglass trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Many of the vintage 13' long trailers are that narrow. However they don't have sufficient ground clearance for Overlanders. Getting large diameter tires for the ground clearance is the bigger issue. It is not nearly as difficult to find a 7' wide trailer as it is to find a generous sized wheel well. Most of the smaller trailers came with 13" tires.

You should stay away from the trailers that have rivets on the outside holding the interior cabinets and partitions in place. Putting them on rough terrain is going to end up enlarging the rivet holes which will create a lot of leaks.
I thought all the fiberglass trailers had rivets holding cabinets,etc.to the walls.?
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B. View Post
I thought all the fiberglass trailers had rivets holding cabinets,etc.to the walls.?
I think very few do, at least that I have seen. Scamp does I know. Escape glasses wood strips in the trailer right after the shell comes out of the mould for attaching everything to. The only rivets on the outside are to hold stuff like access hatches and vents on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #20

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
F/G toy hauler

I saw a really nice fiberglass horse trailer once, I don't know if it was factory but it was nice! You may want to look around the web, maybe aluminum?
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote