Which is best? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It's my understanding that the RVCG rated the Casita the best of the molded fibreglas towables.
Is that true? They rate the LD Class C as the best, and following their forums, I found that to be true.
I was not aware that the molded fibreglas was so well thought of.
Would your readers be good enough to tell me their opinions of which model is what they think better than any other and why.
Thank you for your comments. FrancesM

FrancesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Frances, what are RVCG and LD Class C?

What criteria did they list for comparison? Can you show some links?

The brutal truth is that the only thing that the manufacturers can claim as their own are the frames, shells, and decorating motifs. The rest is all off-the-shelf stuff that they all use... e.g. refrigerators either come from Dometic or Norcold. Axels are most likely either Dexter or Al-Ko. The A/C units are most likely either Dometic or Coleman. Atwood makes most of the stoves and water heaters. Those items are all warranted by the manufacturers.

So, "best" is determined by which unit has a length, floorplan, and features you like at a price you're willing to pay. Most of the manufacturers have good warranties, and good after-sale service and produce a quality product. You can't go wrong in the fiberglass world buying from any of the manufacturers. Each one does things a little differently, but there isn't a "best" one, from my perspective.

Oh, by the way, my Born Free 23RK is the "best" Class C moho, and my Bigfoot 25RQ is the "best" trailer.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #3

NO NO Roger. My Escape is the best.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
NO NO Roger. My Escape is the best.
No, Ches, I think you're wrong. I think we should ask Mike Sanders which is the best trailer.

Mike? Would you please weigh in here?

Roger
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And all of you are all wet, the best trailer is the one I have... because it's MINE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Donna, your so right! Even my old Casita is the best right now................... Cause I got one . But if I bought new (which still may happen) it would most likely be an Oliver.. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
It's my understanding that the RVCG rated the Casita the best of the molded fibreglas towables.
Is that true? They rate the LD Class C as the best, and following their forums, I found that to be true.
I was not aware that the molded fibreglas was so well thought of.
Would your readers be good enough to tell me their opinions of which model is what they think better than any other and why.
Thank you for your comments. FrancesM
Hi: Frances... I think that Escape Trailer Ind. in Chilliwack B.C. Canada makes the BEST Fiberglass 5th. wheel and 17' straight trailer...but then I'm a bit biased and you may not want to travel that far to buy a trailer, as most Mfg's sell from the factory floor. It's all about the quality of their product... how it fits together and the overall finish tells a lot about a Mfg. If you can pay a visit to a rally if there is one close by and talk/look and listen then you can make an informed decision!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #8

Roger keep Mike out of this.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
No, Ches, I think you're wrong. I think we should ask Mike Sanders which is the best trailer.
Mike? Would you please weigh in here?
Roger
Rog you dog, you know I have a 25B25RQ. You’re just trying to stack the deck.

If money was no object I would get a “Totor” & 5th Wheel like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoyalsIdaho.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	13703

and an electric “Toad” and pull doubles.

All kidding aside, there are several great trailers being made. Budget, size/capacity of tow vehicle, and floor plan functionality are the best way to pick. Go to a couple of Rallies and look inside each Brand.

There are riveted fiberglass trailers and non-riveted. Weight, and tow-ability are on my personal radar.

Good Luck,
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Rog you dog, you know I have a 25B25RQ. You’re just trying to stack the deck.

Mike! Me? Try to stack the deck? Why, I'm appalled!

Rog
Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Frances, what are RVCG and LD Class C?

What criteria did they list for comparison? Can you show some links?

The brutal truth is that the only thing that the manufacturers can claim as their own are the frames, shells, and decorating motifs. The rest is all off-the-shelf stuff that they all use... e.g. refrigerators either come from Dometic or Norcold. Axels are most likely either Dexter or Al-Ko. The A/C units are most likely either Dometic or Coleman. Atwood makes most of the stoves and water heaters. Those items are all warranted by the manufacturers.

So, "best" is determined by which unit has a length, floorplan, and features you like at a price you're willing to pay. Most of the manufacturers have good warranties, and good after-sale service and produce a quality product. You can't go wrong in the fiberglass world buying from any of the manufacturers. Each one does things a little differently, but there isn't a "best" one, from my perspective.

Oh, by the way, my Born Free 23RK is the "best" Class C moho, and my Bigfoot 25RQ is the "best" trailer.
===============
Roger, in answer to your question: The LD is the Lazy Daze. LD and Born Free, as I understand it, are the best rated C's by the RV Consumer's Group. I am not clear on this, but I understood that the Casita was one of the best rated small fibreglas towables by the RV Consumer's Group. I don't know that. I need someone to verify that, please.

I just sold my Winnebago Warrior RV, which gave me 14 wonderful years of fun and pleasure and comfort. I figured after 14 years the unit is going to be in need of more upkeep than I wanted to do, so thought I'd range around looking for a light towable now, about 16-17' max. I'm in no hurry. I have the cash to buy and would like to get the latest most leak-proof unit I can find. Of course, at the best price. I don't know why leaks follow me around in my life, house roofs, RV's, and so on, but surely there is something out there that doesn't leak. -smile- .
Since I don't need anything bigger than what I had and towables allow one to unhitch and use the tow-vehicle to go wherever you always wanted to go, what is the smallest tow vehicle that would be appropriate to haul one of these lightweight fibreglas units. I have no experience or knowledge of these units, so whatever you pass along to me will help educate me on them. Thanks a heap! FrancesM
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #12

To tow a 17ft Fiberglass unit i would recommend a vehicle which has a tow rating of at least 3500lbs. Escape, Casita, Scamp are just a few. There are many out there to choose from.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #13

Alf: Noting where you live, Canada... has it stopped snowing there yet? I used to live in Oswego, NY and the year I was there we received 120" of snow during the winter season. Came up to 3" from the clothesline. Now I'm down in God's country: East TN and unfortunately, it was 100 degrees yesterday afternoon. Now, that's HOT. I'm not a heat lover, but I sure do like East TN. Wish we could mix up the temperatures in Canada and ETn and get a nice even 65-70 deg all summer long.

No, Canada would be too far for me and my 4-footed companion to travel. It's beautiful country. Once I find out what kind of vehicle I need to pull a fibreglas 16-17' unit I can think seriously of putting the two together. I was thinking 'bigger', but after reading the RV Consumer Group's study and pictures of a wrecked Monaco, and their good comments on this Casita (off their web page) by browsing I came across this site and liked what I see and read. Please keep the advice comin. FrancesM

======================
Quote:
Hi: Frances... I think that Escape Trailer Ind. in Chilliwack B.C. Canada makes the BEST Fiberglass 5th. wheel and 17' straight trailer...but then I'm a bit biased and you may not want to travel that far to buy a trailer, as most Mfg's sell from the factory floor. It's all about the quality of their product... how it fits together and the overall finish tells a lot about a Mfg. If you can pay a visit to a rally if there is one close by and talk/look and listen then you can make an informed decision!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Whats the best beer?
Whats the best brand of Jeans?
Whats the best car for "the rest of us"?

Impossible to answer, because your needs and mine are different.

I know there are more Casitas out there than anything else.. at least, go to any rally and you will easily see 3 to 1 against other brands. Does that make them the best? The only thing that makes themfor sure, is most common. You can go from there.

Does that make them the best? They are the best for the folks that have purchased them, for sure.

I have no problem with Casitas, they are great rigs in quality and function. But they don't suit *my* needs. For *me*, I am not fond of the floor plan, and that is the first bit of *wow* one sees in any of these.

The rest is comparable to all the others in amenities and quality of stuff they put into them. Just like Rog has said.

I currently think my Burro is best *for me*. My needs may change in the future.. and it will be 2nd best at that time.

It's all relative.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Frances. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com. We're glad you found us. I'm not personally aware of the RV Consumers Group, much less how they go about assigning their ratings. Perhaps someone else will chime in with an answer to your question.

We get the "which is best" question quite often. What everyone is trying to say is, "it depends."

The prevailing consensus is that by design, these fiberglass trailers are less prone to leaks than RV's built by other methods. That does not mean they are leak proof, just "better."

Quote:
Since I don't need anything bigger than what I had and towables allow one to unhitch and use the tow-vehicle to go wherever you always wanted to go, what is the smallest tow vehicle that would be appropriate to haul one of these lightweight fibreglas units. I have no experience or knowledge of these units, so whatever you pass along to me will help educate me on them. Thanks a heap! FrancesM
We pulled a 16 ft. Casita with a Ford Ranger (3.0L). Now we have a 17 ft. and pull it with either a Ford Ranger (4.0L) or a Ford F150. (The 17 ft. Casita is quite a bit heavier than the 16.) The Ranger does fine, but the F150 has a smoother ride, especially on bumpy roads and going over railroad tracks. We are also more comfortable with the F150 in the mountains, more because of its better ability to STOP with 3000 lbs. following along behind it. (We use electric trailer brakes with both trucks.)

People pull these kinds of trailers with somewhat smaller vehicles... but this is from my own experience.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you enjoy poking around our website, and learning more about the world of small, molded fiberglass RV/travel trailers.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have had two 17’ Casitas and would buy one again. I currently have a 25’ Bigfoot and love it. I really like the Escape. Both the trailer and the factory owner.

There seems to be two current construction differences. Rivets and no rivets. Well actually there are other differences. Double wall and single wall.

Here is a list of all the current Brands. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/resources.html...un=fiberglassrv
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #17

When I say the 'best'... I should have made myself clearer. I mean the BEST workmanship. You can look in any number of rigs, coaches, and such and some of the workmanship is abominable. Happily, my Winnebago Warrior was an '89 and the workmanship throughout was excellent and well made. The ONLY item (at that time) in their construction that I had to laugh at was the 45 deg bend in a pipe.. Instead of using the proper pipe turn, they simply BENT the pipe and my immediately thought was their cutting corners: 'bad workmanship'.. and that left 'a bad taste in my mouth'.

However, the rest of the unit was top notch. Meeting a woman at a rally with a fairly new Fleetwood, all the cabinets were coming undone from the walls... Similar to the Monaco wreck that that RV group was picturing on their site...they showed how the poor workmanship of the Monaco allowed it to disintegrate, instead of holding together, all for the lack of glue and screws that hold laminates together...again, cutting costs. Scary pictures. The front end, and all the above cabinets collapsed onto the driver, and to be sure, he's in heaven now. The framing was terrible.

So, when I say BEST, I do mean how well are they put together. Only owners who have these units know, since you live with them.

I noted that there are 50 manufacturers of these fibreglas rigs... My Goodness, that's a heap of little units to check out. That's why I turned to you all. -smile- Bye. FrancesM
Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Alf: Noting where you live, Canada... has it stopped snowing there yet? I used to live in Oswego, NY and the year I was there we received 120" of snow during the winter season. Came up to 3" from the clothesline. Now I'm down in God's country: East TN and unfortunately, it was 100 degrees yesterday afternoon. Now, that's HOT. I'm not a heat lover, but I sure do like East TN. Wish we could mix up the temperatures in Canada and ETn and get a nice even 65-70 deg all summer long.
Frances: I'm writing from Toronto (not that far from Alf) and today's temperature was 31C/87F. But it was killer humid too. The humidex/"real feel" reading was 40C/104F !!! So much for the "Great White North"
I wouldn't have minded mixing our temperature with that in your neck of the woods. It would have been far more comfortable than what we had today. (and my sunburn might not be quite so bad either)
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
When I say the 'best'... I should have made myself clearer. I mean the BEST workmanship.
So, when I say BEST, I do mean how well are they put together. Only owners who have these units know, since you live with them. .....

......I noted that there are 50 manufacturers of these fibreglas rigs... My Goodness, that's a heap of little units to check out. That's why I turned to you all. -smile- Bye. FrancesM
Take a look at the information under the avatars on this site. Many include the year of their trailer in that info. And a huge number of them are from the 1970s. I think THAT speaks to quality.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #20

If you want to view that site about that wreck: The brakes gave out...
Here's the link: http://www.rv.org/p17809.htm