Which One? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hi all -

Finally, we have 2 viewings lined up this Saturday. One is for the 1969 Yellow Boler, and the second a 1987 BigFoot.

Assuming they are both of equal condition (good frame, etc) I wouldn't mind people's opinion's on this - experience goes a long way.

I'm torn b/c I love the lines of the boler (wheel well etc.) h/e the Bigfoot is newer.

I just talked with the owner of the Bigfoot and he says the price is 'low' (4400) b/c he found water damage to the plywood sub-floor. He indicated the floor has fiberglass, then plywood on top with carpet covering. He's removed one section of wood and replaced it, but says there's another section that's water-stained. The BF has sat for 2 years and the owner didn't know if things worked (this is the second one) I can't imagine not knowing if my appliances worked, or putting something for sale without ensuring lights etc were in working order. Anyway, he thinks it may be the door seal that has caused the water 'damage' but isn't sure. I figure the worst case scenario would be new window and door seals, but I'm not sure what that would run.

The Boler I'd like to replace hinges/door handles, but I'm not sure if these items are even available...

Any suggestions/ideas/opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Mike

Here's the two trailers:
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Attached Images

Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
The BF has sat for 2 years and the owner didn't know if things worked (this is the second one) I can't imagine not knowing if my appliances worked, or putting something for sale without ensuring lights etc were in working order.

opinions welcome!
For What It's Worth:
If it's sat for 2 years, the "owner" may not be intimately interested in the trailer itself, just the value that could be realized from it. Some sellers are less motivated than others. I personally would be more interested in the Bigfoot, because it has a more "upscale" all wood interior, with "cushier" upholstery, wall covering, and window treatments. That large side window is a plus. I would be wary of odors/stains that might indicate water damage behind the insulation/wall covering.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
I can not give an opinion on the Bigfoot but I do have a Boler and I just love that little yellow fellow you are interested in.If ya don't buy it let us all know where it is.I am not very handy nor is my hubby.When we were looking for a trailer we were willing to pay a bit more to ensure that what we bought would only need minimal fixing up.Things we could do ourselves.Any water damage was a No No.Even being as thorough as we were when viewing trailers we still had a few problems that had to be delt with by someone more savy than us in the electrical system.Paying to have the work done by someone is not cheap.I would be sure you are able to handle any repairs.Parts for the older trailers are also hard to come by,at least in the area we live in.Good luck and happy camping.

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I'm torn b/c I love the lines of the boler (wheel well etc.) h/e the Bigfoot is newer.
I've visited many older trailers that were in much better shape than newer ones. Care/maintenance is everything. So I would visit many trailers and take them on a case-by-case basis and not pay too much attention to the year, especially for 20+ year old units.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I've learned that the yellow Boler's frame has been reinforced. Does anyone see this as being a problem? and is this common with these trailers (or of this 'vintage')?

Also, the 1969 has a 'large water bottle' vs a tank. Does anyone know if this is common with the 69? Or has the tank been removed over the years. Would it be possible to add an aftermarket water tank.

Thanks everyone -
Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Or has the tank been removed over the years.
I can't comment on the frame question, but I think you should expect most trailers from that era to have been altered in one way or another. Water tanks are probably one of the most likely things to have been replaced, or sometimes removed altogether to gain storage space. You should be able to put in a new one if that's what you want to do, or there are other things you can do as well - you should find some ideas on this forum.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Finding a forty year old trailer that's completely stock and original is going to be a.... challenge. Plastic (pipe, containers, vent covers, hatches) deteriorate over time and will need to be replace/have been replaced or are flat not there anymore. If it were me, and it's not, I'm just want to make sure all the changes/modifications were done using professional products and professional techniques. There's certainly nothing wrong with a trailer that's been updated and modified... if done well.

Personally, I like the Bigfoot... love that big window!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Hi all -

Finally, we have 2 viewings lined up this Saturday. One is for the 1969 Yellow Boler, and the second a 1987 BigFoot.

Assuming they are both of equal condition (good frame, etc) I wouldn't mind people's opinion's on this - experience goes a long way.

I just talked with the owner of the Bigfoot and he says the price is 'low' (4400) b/c he found water damage to the plywood sub-floor. He indicated the floor has fiberglass, then plywood on top with carpet covering. He's removed one section of wood and replaced it, but says there's another section that's water-stained. The BF has sat for 2 years and the owner didn't know if things worked (this is the second one) I can't imagine not knowing if my appliances worked, or putting something for sale without ensuring lights etc were in working order. Anyway, he thinks it may be the door seal that has caused the water 'damage' but isn't sure. I figure the worst case scenario would be new window and door seals, but I'm not sure what that would run.

The Boler I'd like to replace hinges/door handles, but I'm not sure if these items are even available...

Any suggestions/ideas/opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Mike

Here's the two trailers:
Hi Mike,
It sounds like you havn't seen either trailer yet. After you get a look at both I would be very surprised if you choose the Boler, unless the water damage scares you. Someone already mentioned the wood cabinets(more overhead storage), 18 years improvements in construction, 18 yrs less wear and tear on the Bigfoot . The Bigfoot should have a screen door as well.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Boler hinges are .... different. If they work, I suppose it would be fine, but I wouldn't call them the most aesthetically pleasing mod. The belly band on the Boler looks like it's either been repair or replaced. I think I see a joint on the right hand side of the picture... and doesn't the band look "round" rather than square or rectangle? Of course the rack on top isn't original either. Unless there has been some modification done on the inside... like roof ribs, I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight up there.

But I like the color

On edit. The door has been fixed too... there's at least six rivets(?) that I can see that weren't original. Wonder if there's magazine rack on the inside now? Looks like it was well done, the door fits from what I can see in this one picture.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
On edit. The door has been fixed too... there's at least six rivets(?) that I can see that weren't original. Wonder if there's magazine rack on the inside now? Looks like it was well done, the door fits from what I can see in this one picture.
I think I remember that the door had a cable/turnbuckle affair on it that I felt was not very attractive.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #11

Bill, thanks for your input - the Bigfoot does have the screen door. You're right, and the large window/storage is a plus. From what I've learned, it also has a water tank which the Boler doesn't have (I learned today that it has a water 'jug' - although I'm not exactly sure what this means). I picture the typical blue camping jug for water.

As for the water damage - this doesn't concern me too much. The wood can be skill-sawed out as it's only the subfloor, and of course, the seals can be replaced.

It's good to get other people's feedback.

Donna: I see what you mean RE the belly band, and good point about the roof rack if it hasn't been reinforced. I hadn't considered that. The hinges and door hasp are clearly aftermarket (more pics in the '1969 Boler' thread).

Fred: Good call on doing the sniff test for mold or the like behind the walls.

I think what has me torn is the fact that the Boler is...well, a Boler and that it just looks good. The yellow wouldn't be my first choice in color, but it looks 'polished' if you follow.

If the BigFoot were painted I think it would have the same appeal - I'm a graphics guy, visually motivated, and I think this explains my fondness for the Boler. Again the lines on the wheelwells are great too.

Anyway, seeing them will clear things up. I'm not afraid of some work. We've been renovating our home for the past 3 years, floor to cieling. Anything in either trailer will be small in comparison (and more of a hobby) - heck a guy's gotta stay busy with a toy of some sort.

Thanks again for the opinions and insights everyone.