Which one is better? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone...I'm still in the "looking for a trailer" stage, and wonder if anyone can tell me which small trailer (in your opinion) is better and why? Are there any problems with any of them that I should watch out for? Besides price and location, what factors pointed you towards one or away from another? Thanks!!!
Diane
Diane Soldow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The one you own will be the best. No kidding.

UHaul and Burro are no longer in business, but you can buy them used. Although Scamp had a fire, they are gearing up and will be manufacturing them again very soon.

Scamp will custom design the interior out of wood if you so desire.

If buying used, then it's just personal preference. You need to decide what's the most import to you, then start from there.

If you're looking for a 13', then Trillium is another new purchase option. In fact, they will soon have a little bit larger 15' (14.5?) one as well.

And, even though you didn't ask about it, Casita also is still making 13's.

You may be wanting a larger one, but usually those who asked about those three are looking at the 13's. Are you?
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Better for what? Every egg has its strengths and weaknesses (as do we owners). My UHaul, for example, is heavier than most 13 footers. But that's because it has a stronger frame and double hull. It has no brakes but doesn't seem to need them. It has no toilet but it has a solar panel. You pays your money and takes your choice. For a pre-coddled egg, condition is always more important than brand.

But if I was looking for a 13 footer and couldn't find a UHaul, I'd buy a Burro - just because I love the bright interior on double-hulled eggs!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Better for what? Every egg has its strengths and weaknesses (as do we owners). My UHaul, for example, is heavier than most 13 footers. But that's because it has a stronger frame and double hull. It has no brakes but doesn't seem to need them. It has no toilet but it has a solar panel. You pays your money and takes your choice. For a pre-coddled egg, condition is always more important than brand.

But if I was looking for a 13 footer and couldn't find a UHaul, I'd buy a Burro - just because I love the bright interior on double-hulled eggs!

Hi, Jack--

How heavy is the U-haul? Also, is there any difference in ground clearance or insulation between the burro and the u-haul? I'm looking at one of each on ebay right now (one of which is bizarrely listed as "Casita style", under "Skidoos"), and don't have the benefit of having seen either variety "in person." I'm definitely looking for a double-hulled unit; am I right in thinking that burro and u-haul are my two options there? (Seems from pictures that maybe Scamps are double-hulled, but they've gone and mucked them up with carpet on the walls.)

Any info you have would be much appreciated by this impending egg owner!
Thanks,
Leslie
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
ooh, ooh! I know! I know! I've had all three in the past three years! A UHaul, a Burro, and TWO Scamps!

Both the Burro and UHaul are double-hulled, except for the places where the two hulls are joined and are merely a two-layer single hull. The Burro may or may not have insulation between the shells as it was an option. I don't believe that any of the UHauls were insulated. The Scamps are insulated with Reflectix between the fiberglass and the "rat fur", and while my insulated Burro was nice and warm when it was cold, and stayed cooler when it's hot, I find that the insulation in the Scamp is at least as good as what the Burro was capable of.

One of the real selling points for me on the UHaul and Burro was the glassed-in floor that should never rot. Until I found out that a bunch of folks have sealed in floors that are rotted from water entering the "sealed" area and not being able to drain out. The Scamp floors are treated, sealed chip board and unless they've been wet and rotted from above, they don't typically have problems.

Most of the 13' trailers including the UHaul will weigh in at or near 1200 lbs, sales literature to the contrary notwithstanding. And even though many folks pull lightweight trailers without brakes, I personally recommend them on all trailers to anyone who will listen.

In a nutshell, the trailer you find with the amenities you want at the price you're willing to pay is the best one. Each has a strong point or two, and a weakness or two. The shell strength of the Burro and UHaul are amazing, but the Scamp Custom Deluxe trailers are just as stout, a result of the wood interiors. The Scamp, however has rivets in the hull and a belly band, both of which have the potential to be leak spots if not properly maintained. The UHaul and Burros are rivet-less, and the banding is covered with Trim-Lok that precludes leaks. The Scamp, particularly from the Custom shop has it all over the other two for "warm" interiors. Per Walthinsen has described the inside of his Burro as like "being on the inside of a refrigerator", a sentiment with which I wholeheartedly agree. On the flip side, the fiberglass interiors of the Burro and Uhaul are as easy to clean as running a damp rag over them, and they don't hold odors. The frame of the UHaul is bullet-proof. I never had problems with the frame under my Burro, but others have reported issues. My Scamps have sound frames under them, although the frames aren't as "pretty" as what the Burro and UHaul have.

So, to summarize... they're all excellent. You won't go wrong with any of them that are in good condition. There will always be something that you lament about the trailer you have regardless of how much you like it. But, if the bottom line is to use your trailer, they're all excellent for camping!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I have never worried about which is better for things like cars, trailers, houses, etc. I just buy them well used at the lowest possible price and get on with making them the best for me.

The Scamp we presently own is the second FGRV we've had. The first was a Compact Jr. that we toured the lower 48 twice before we started a family. I would have to say that I believe the Scamp is better. However, is was built about 15 years after the Compact and I would expect that a lot of small trailer thinking had transpired in those 15 years.

It will be interesting to see what changes Scamp makes to their new trailers, now that they are getting a chance at a 'fresh start'. I don't expect them to go to double wall construction. Nor do I expect them to seal their floors in fiberglass.

Do I think a Scamp is the best trailer? I haven't a clue. But it suits us fine.

Would I rather own a different RGRV? Again I haven't a clue. But there are a few that have styling that is intriguing. I'm thinking Oxygen, Bios and Quantum. It is very possible if I saw one up close, I would stay with what I have.

Just some musings on "what's best".
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I looked at a lot of fiberglass trailers before we made up our minds what we were going to buy. Everyone is going to have different needs. For us, the trailers that fit our needs the best were finally narrowed down to:

Scamp fifth-wheel deluxe

and

17-foot Casita Deluxe model.

We finally opted for the Casita since we figured we wanted the trade-off of the extra sleeping space in the Scamp fifth-wheel versus the storage space in the back of our pickup truck that we'd lose with the fifth-wheel. It was a very close decision, though.

You're going to hopefully make a considered opinion on what you need before you make the purchase. If what you need is a 13 foot Burro, then go for it. Whatever fiberglass rv you get, I feel certain you're going to love it. Ours has been nothing but pure fun!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
I can't believe it! All that discussion and not a mention about a Bigfoot.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
But, Ron, she was only asking about Burro, Scamp, and Uhaul. Some of my fellow Casita owners couldn't stand it, so threw their opinions in... but I'm sure nobody meant to slight the Bigfoot. (Have at it!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
I can't believe it! All that discussion and not a mention about a Bigfoot.
We considered Bigfoot, also. It was out of our price range. Great trailer, though!!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
After owning a number of stick frames we settled on a Scamp 5th wheel deluxe, Because it has a large bed , a 6cube reefer, good value, wonderful after service from Scamp even for a second owner, light and easy to tow.
Now a year latter I will say the things I do not like. The tires need to be 14", yet I belive if I tow at the speed limit I will have no problem . The Loft of the 19" Deluxe is hard to heat when you are camping in the winter cold under 20degrees.
Other than that I love it, All of the glass trailers I have seen are good value for the buck.
Once again what are your needs, We boondock for weeks so a big fridge was a plus,
The looks of people as you go down the road are half the fun.
Enjoy Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Shows you what I know. I thought she was asking about 13's.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Shows you what I know. I thought she was asking about 13's.

She's asking about "small" trailers. For those of us with these HUGE 16' trailers, I guess that WOULD mean a 13'!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Suz, she said Scamp, Burro or Uhaul. She also said small trailer not smallest trailer. For some folks, anything under 30 feet is a small trailer. All of the brands she listed come in sizes larger than 13ft. Diane did not specify if she was considering used, moulded fiberglass only or what size she was interested in.

Diane, if you click on the link that says "Albums" you will see a variety of fiberglass trailers. If you are looking for new in the under 16ft size you have Trillium, Scamp (production temporarily halted) and Casita to choose from. If you are looking at used, the most common other brands are Boler, Burro and Uhaul.

For new in the 16ft - 17ft range you have Casita, Scamp, Escape and Bigfoot to choose from. With used the choices expand. There are larger Bolers, Trilliums, Uhauls and Burros. There are also less common brands like Fiber Stream that are out of production.

In the 19ft - 19ft+ range the only trailers that come to mind are the Scamp 5th wheel, the Oxygen, Bigfoot and Biggar trailers.

I tell most folks who ask me that the best trailer brand is the one that your vehicle can safely tow that is nearest to you, affordable and is within your capacity to maintain. For me the numerous similarities between the brands overshadow their distinctive traits. The point is to use them and enjoy them. I don't think Scamp owners are having any more fun than Uhaul or Casita owners.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:
If you are looking at used, the most common other brands are Boler, Burro and Uhaul.
Raises an interesting point: which are the most common brands? Data on actual numbers of FGRVs built by mfrs. is scarce, but we have a pretty good cross-section of FGRV owners right here. Is brand ownership data available for FGRV members? If not, can we get it together? It would be fun to be able to pull up lists of members by brand, and perhaps useful as well.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Nah, we don't currently have the ability to search by RV Type (alas). But, once upon a time we had a poll, which gave us a general idea of how many people had which brand of trailer... It was an old poll, outdated and of course, was lost last November.

We could make a new poll, to answer this question! Polls are fun!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
which are the most common brands
I think most folks have and prefer the white ones.

(Stolen punchline.. I am in my room now)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #18

Free range eggs are better for you!

Tags
biggar