Which one to pick - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Unhappy

Hello fellow-fiberglass fans,

I am new to this web page. I am currently looking for a travel trailer for my daughter and me. Now here is the thing: I fell in love with the concept of the fiberglass trailers, and am looking for a suitable trailer between 13' and 17'. I am already now particular about the Scamp and the Casita. How do they compare in quality? What is your experience with either of those, 13', 16' and 17'? Which one would be easy enough to handle for a single mom, while a four-year old is around?

I already gathered that those are hard to come by, especially when used. I already contacted both companies asking for more information.

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Yours,

Gerda
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
One place to start is to ask if you have a tow vehicle, and if so, what weight and tongue weight is it rated for?

Also, what is your price range?

The two facts above will "dial in" the choices for most people.

I can't think why any of the ones you mentioned would be harder than the others to handle. Of course many of the larger trailers will have more luxuries, and that means more systems, which means either knowing how to take care of them yourself or hiring others to do so. There is more comfort but also more potential for things to malfunction.

You have to be relatively quick, but there are definitely used Scamps and Casitas out there.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #3

Registry
Oh, in the towing department I should be fine. My 2002 4Runner is rated at 5000lb. In the price department I only know that I would like to stay around 15k. I personally don't know how easy either of this trailers is to handle. I guess I mean things like how comfortable they tow, maintenance and other things, whatever comes to your mind. Thanks for your input!!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Gerda, if you spend some time on here reading past posts, you will find some great information. This is what I did a year ago. It eventually led me to the Escape 19. Your 4Runner should handle just about any moulded fiberglass trailer, especially in the size range you are looking for. Keep asking questions as you have them, there is a great bunch of advisers around here.

You should make a list of what you must have, as well as a list of what you would like to have, in a trailer. This will lead you in the direction you should go. Our only must haves were a permanent bed, small bathroom, and good insulation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

Registry
Exclamation

Hi fellow fiberglass-fans,

Just wanted to give you an update. I looked a bit more around in older forums of this site, and found some really nice tips. It made also me looking for the Escape in addition to Scamp and Casita. Another nice option that went far up my list. As the matter of fact, I also contacted the manufacturer in Canada.

Furthermore I looked today at a Hi-Lo 15' trailer, and few days earlier at the T[at]B. Both went off my list, as I was not impressed. Now I know for 100%, that my camper will be a fiberglass!

My next step will be to look at a local Scamp trailer, I got an invitation to do so which was very nice! I will keep you all posted, and will bug you with questions as they arise.

Gerda
Old 08-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'm a single mom, too, Gerda and looking to buy a 13 ft something for me and my daughter. Let me know what you learn - I'm very interested.
THANKS!
joy
Why did you not like the TAB?
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Gerda (and Joy)

Couple of additional issues to consider -

tongue weight. Generally the smaller the trailer, the easier it is to move about when NOT connected to a vehicle. Depending on your own physical abilities, that may or may not be an issue.

backing up. generally, the smaller the trailer, the more difficult to learn to back up. They are just more sensitive - they veer off easier and faster they shorter they are. BUT the up side is when you get GOOD, you can really spot them in a smaller, tighter location.

You will both LOVE your new l'eggs and have many memorable trips - hopefully mostly GOOD memorite. lol
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Gerda,

You might also want to check out an EggCamper. Lighter and simpler than most but with more room. Made in Michigan.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #9

Registry
Talking

For my choice a very important point was brought up: How easy it is to handle the trailer if not attached to the car. This makes me think that a 13' is best suited for us, besides another fact that a 13' trailer fits about everywhere! Looking for instance at the Casita Patriot deluxe, it has all amenities we would need! I am right now at a point where Casita and Escape are my favorites. EggCamper is another nice option, although I like the interiors of the first two better. I don't mind if it handles a little more tricky when backing up. I can learn...

About the T[at]B I looked at I did not like too much that the black weather strip was coming off. And this problem is encountered by many T[at]B owners. Makes me not feel to confident about it's ability to keep water out in the longer run. Also, it was described by multiple owners that water actually came into the trailer through the round door windows. Another thing: The cover of the gas bottle was very flimsy made. The interior was however extra cute and well done! The biggest contra for me was however the customer service factor: It was described by many owners here in the U.S. that it always took long time to get parts for the trailer. And apparently not every dealer of T[at]B is willing to do the service, when the T[at]B was bought somewhere else. This are all things I cannot use in my busy life. I am simply looking for something reliable AND cute, a trailer with which my daughter and I can have many relaxing weekends. Wouldn't that be something if Casita or the other fiberglass manufacturers could offer cool color schemes....?!

Joe, I keep you and our fellow fiberglass fans updated. I currently look into new and used.

Gerda
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
For my choice a very important point was brought up: How easy it is to handle the trailer if not attached to the car.
I can move my 2,150 lb (dryweight) 16' Scamp around on the asphalt with a trailer dolly. Is that what you meant?

Something to bear in mind. Beds. A 13 foot Casita Patriot (w/bathroom) or any 13 footer with a separate bath... you're going to lose a bed. Right now, sharing a bed with a four-year old wouldn't be so bad... but kids grow... quickly and it won't be long before you both want your own sleeping area. If you're set on a 13 footer, skip the built in bathroom and deal with a porta-potty for those nighttime trips. That way you'll have plenty of sleeping areas... even if your daughter brings along a friend.

But, if you go to 16 feet you get more beds AND a bathroom (in some models)

Something to consider.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerda, H... Here's a pic. I snapped at Bolerama this year. It's the cutest 13'er I've ever seen...but then I'm biased!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
cutest13__er.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gerda,
Please continue to keep me posted on your research and what you decide to get.
Thanks!
Joy
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm with Donna: consider the 16 ft. Scamp or Casita. (Actually I know next to nothing about the Scamps, but a Casita Spirit deluxe will give you each a bed, plus the bathroom.)

And... welcome to FiberglassRV.com.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #14

Registry
Hi Fellow-Fiberglassfans,

My little daughter and I just came back from a tent camping trip to the Backbone State Park in Iowa. Love that park. This time I kept my eyes wide open looking for a fiberglass trailer, and there was none! I am just amazed at that, as those little campers just seem perfect to me. As much as I love tent camping, but it was no fun being rained out this last night and morning... Luckily the tent held up very well, but just everything outside got wet. And the tent needed tonight some drying TLC. Just reminds me again that I am NOT for a tent camper.

The more I keep looking into the little cute eggs, the more I go towards the 15' Escape Plan B, with a little bathroom. Just had this weekend during the rain a little reminder again, that the convenience of an on-board bathroom would be just fabulous, especially for my little girl. Tammy from Escape and I are already talking about that. As I know that this is a brand new line from Escape, I also still keep looking for a 13' or 16' Casita or Scamp, new or used.

Joy, I was thinking today of you, as I encountered a little T[at]B just this morning in the park. But there were mostly tent folding campers, tents, 5th wheels or bigger RV's. Please keep also me posted where you are at with your little camper research!

BTW, Alf, I agree, that is really a very nice picture! I think by now, given the options and looks, that the 15' Escape would be just perfect for us!

Gerda
Old 08-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Not to discourage you from a 15' Escape, as they definitely look drool-worthy, but even in a basic 13-footer you still can have a Porta-potti or WAG bags, so you don't have to run to the campground bathroom in the middle of a rainy night.

One could always make up a curtain that would divide the camper in half (more or less), so that whomever was using the "bathroom" had privacy.

Again, nothing wrong with buying an egg that has a "real" bathroom, but on the other hand, those of us in basic 13-ers aren't necessarily hiking out in the rain, either

Good luck on the hunt!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #16

Registry
Hi all,

I am now pretty much narrowed down between the Escape 15' floor plan B or the Casita Spirit deluxe 16'. Now it is the question which one to buy. New or used. If used, I would have to go for Casita, as there are rarely Escapes for sale.

Tonight I am going to tally up total prices, including options for both in new. And I keep looking further. Thank you all for the very valuable tips. Donna, your idea of using a trailer dolly made me think that also I can go beyond 13', as that gives me and my daughter more living space.

Gerda
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Gerda,

There are currently no Escape 15's yet on the market - construction will start in November and Escape is currently taking orders into Jan 2010.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #18

Registry
Yes I know. The 15' would need to be new. I already am e-mailing with Tammy. If used, it would have to be a young Casita. However, comparing the interiors and exteriors, I just am in love with the Escape campers. Would love to see finally a 15'. By the way, the next available spot for a 15' is March 2010!

Gerda
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
By the way, the next available spot for a 15' is March 2010!

Gerda
Sounds good to me. You wouldn't have to winter it over... and you'd have a brand new trailer in time for camping season to start
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #20

Registry
And the saga goes on. Here an update on my fiberglass search. Following trailers are options for me. Prices listed are excluding tax and fees that might apply. Advantages and disadvantages are listed below each:

a) Escape 15' plan B, including all options desired, about 19500 US$
Pluses:
- just love the design (interior and exterior)
- no carpet walls
- size of fridge 3 cuft
- size nice, still easy to handle
Minuses:
- price way above the larger Casita
- I like the floor plan of the Casita Spirit Deluxe a bit better
- no second seating area (bed must be made each night)
- this trailer has to be seen yet in reality
- it takes long to get hands on one of those

Escape 13' plan B, including all options desired, about 16500 US$
Pluses:
- just love the design (interior and exterior)
- no carpet walls
- easy to handle (probably the easiest going of the pack), would make short
weekend getaways really quick
Minuses:
- price still above the larger Casita
- I like the floor plan of the Casita Spirit Deluxe a bit better
- no second seating area (bed must be made each night)
- small fridge
- perhaps a little small overall
- it takes long to get hands on one of those

c) Casita 16' Spirit Deluxe, including all options desired, about 15500 US$
Pluses:
- price (would safe me almost 5K over the 15' Escape)
- fine design (interior and exterior)
- wonderful floor plan with extra seating area AND bathroom
- bed can stay bed all day long
Minuses:
- still prefer the design from Escape
- the Escape choices could be easier to handle for me (lower hitch weight)
- small fridge (only 1.9 cuft)
- carpet walls and ceiling
- my heart is with Escape

Here now I am asking a favor from you guys. Please give me an open and humble opinion on those choices. Can I justify paying about 5K more on a smaller trailer? How do the Casitas and Escapes compare if it comes to quality of the parts and appliances used in them and quality of the build? Overall, I am still tending towards the 15' Escape or 16' Casita, thinking that I might regret taking the smaller 13'.

Thanks,

Gerda