Which to keep-which to let go? Rightsizing.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Which to keep-which to let go? Rightsizing..

Greetings.
In an effort to right size and get the best combo, I welcome and appreciate your input.

My fiance passed away suddenly and unexpectedly a few months ago. We purchased a Winnebago MH that met all creature comforts for DF. After his passing, I was approached to sell this 34' lux MH and I did.

In my wheelhouse is a 1970 Lovebug which I bought in 2004 as an easy way to escape. I love it and don't want to part with it...unless...

Lastly, I have an Eriba Puck which I will sell or trade. DF and I bought it several years ago and it is too painful to keep. The extra headroom and King bed is excellent for a tall person.

I have as tow vehicles:
2011 F 150 Ford 4x4 with low miles. I love driving it.
2019 Mini Cooper 20k miles in mint condition that gets 40mph up North. Willing to part with.
2000 VW Bug 100k miles also 40-50 mpg up there. Already have a buyer should I wish.

I loved the cush of our Winnebago but have concerns of caring for another engine, etc.

I welcome your suggestions of my "perfect camper/tow combo". Is it renovating my Lovebug? Is it a pickup camper? Is it something new?

The most important things to me are:
Reliability-Traveling alone and cross country.
Safety-alone with my Corgi.
Bathroom would be great.
Comfort-I have 6 levels fused in my spine.

My friend bought a 1978 Trillium 4500, 15' model. When I measured it, it isn't that much larger than my Lovebug but I sure liked it.

My general feeling is to keep the pickup for Minnesota and my constant home renovations, and towing a camper. I like being up higher when driving. I don't want an SUV. I have an older Isuzu that kills my back when putting things in that require a reach.

I design and renovate homes. I welcome a project.

Bless you for taking the time to add your thoughts.
Gigi
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
First, I am so sorry for your loss! And I am glad you want to continue to travel-that can be healing in itself. In your situation, I would keep the truck-check the payload and towing capacity, then find a good molded fiberglass camper to tow. We have had great luck with Casita and Escape. Had a 17’ Casita, easy to tow and maintain, now have a 21’ Escape. I have a German Shepherd and the extra aisle room and storage in the Escape is great. If you want to stay smaller, look at a 17’ Escape if you can. If you can get a camper set up for solar then it gives you even more options where you can gol To start with camping alone, I would go to state parks or COE campgrounds-I have felt safe in those for many years. We installed an after market back up camera on our 2010 Frontier to help with hooking things up, so glad we did. Take your time, assess what you want/need in your camper, look at as many as you can-maybe attend a fiberglass rally as lots of folks show off their eggs and all their mods. Wishing you the best as you navigate this change in your life.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist Chic View Post
Greetings.
In an effort to right size and get the best combo, I welcome and appreciate your input.

My fiance passed away suddenly and unexpectedly a few months ago. We purchased a Winnebago MH that met all creature comforts for DF. After his passing, I was approached to sell this 34' lux MH and I did.

In my wheelhouse is a 1970 Lovebug which I bought in 2004 as an easy way to escape. I love it and don't want to part with it...unless...

Lastly, I have an Eriba Puck which I will sell or trade. DF and I bought it several years ago and it is too painful to keep. The extra headroom and King bed is excellent for a tall person.

I have as tow vehicles:
2019 Mini Cooper 20k miles in mint condition that gets 40mph up North. Willing to part with.
2000 VW Bug 100k miles also 40-50 mpg up there. Already have a buyer should I wish.

I loved the cush of our Winnebago but have concerns of caring for another engine, etc.

I welcome your suggestions of my "perfect camper/tow combo". Is it renovating my Lovebug? Is it a pickup camper? Is it something new?

Bathroom would be great.

My friend bought a 1978 Trillium 4500, 15' model. When I measured it, it isn't that much larger than my Lovebug but I sure liked it.

My general feeling is to keep the pickup for Minnesota and my constant home renovations, and towing a camper. I like being up higher when driving. I don't want an SUV. I have an older Isuzu that kills my back when putting things in that require a reach.

I design and renovate homes. I welcome a project.

Bless you for taking the time to add your thoughts.
Gigi
I would keep the Ford F150 as it is the better tow vehicle. The others just won't do it. For safety get something that has a bathroom in it. At least a toilet. That way at night you don't have to get out to go to a bathroom. My husband and I have a 21 1/2 ft motorhome and a 17' Casita. If something happens to him I'll keep the motorhome as it would be safer. If someone started bothering me I could just start it and leave. He feels the same way.
We tow with a 2016 Tahoe. It sits high and does a great job of towing. Sit down and write a pro and cons list on both of your RV's and see which ones are most important to you. That will help you decide.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #4

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatkinson View Post
First, I am so sorry for your loss! And I am glad you want to continue to travel-that can be healing in itself. In your situation, I would keep the truck-check the payload and towing capacity, then find a good molded fiberglass camper to tow. We have had great luck with Casita and Escape. Had a 17’ Casita, easy to tow and maintain, now have a 21’ Escape. I have a German Shepherd and the extra aisle room and storage in the Escape is great. If you want to stay smaller, look at a 17’ Escape if you can. If you can get a camper set up for solar then it gives you even more options where you can gol To start with camping alone, I would go to state parks or COE campgrounds-I have felt safe in those for many years. We installed an after market back up camera on our 2010 Frontier to help with hooking things up, so glad we did. Take your time, assess what you want/need in your camper, look at as many as you can-maybe attend a fiberglass rally as lots of folks show off their eggs and all their mods. Wishing you the best as you navigate this change in your life.
Thank you for your condolences, Shirley. Life is a journey. I am inclined to keep the pickup. It is a super cab with 4wd and a factory installed tow package.
I was looking at the longer Casita with bath and it looks nice. I have never seen an Escape but will check these out. I have read of them.
Thank you for your kind words.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I would keep the Ford F150 as it is the better tow vehicle. The others just won't do it. For safety get something that has a bathroom in it. At least a toilet. That way at night you don't have to get out to go to a bathroom. My husband and I have a 21 1/2 ft motorhome and a 17' Casita. If something happens to him I'll keep the motorhome as it would be safer. If someone started bothering me I could just start it and leave. He feels the same way.
We tow with a 2016 Tahoe. It sits high and does a great job of towing. Sit down and write a pro and cons list on both of your RV's and see which ones are most important to you. That will help you decide.
Jann, I loved driving the MH, it was too long for my needs and city driving. I have looked at smaller ones as well. I agree about ease in leaving and feeling safe.

Truck campers intrigue me as I would love to go to Alaska and down into South America.

Thank you for your response.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #6

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Greetings.

I was approached to sell this 34' lux MH and I did.

Lastly, I have an Eriba Puck which I will sell or trade. DF and I bought it several years ago and it is too painful to keep.
Well, you made that easy: Lovebug

Quote:
I have as tow vehicles:

Bathroom would be great.

My general feeling is to keep the pickup for Minnesota and my constant home renovations, and towing a camper. I like being up higher when driving. I don't want an SUV.
Gigi
This one's not as clear cut.
The comment about the VW getting 40~50 mpg leads me to think it's a TDI. I'm familiar with those ("Lug_Nut" on TDIClub dot com) having owned and driven, or fixed and flipped, 14 different TDI. I most regret selling my 2000 NB with 'only' 409,000 miles. I know that they are well suited for the small trailers, so MY preference would be that one.
The truck would be my reluctant second choice as I'm not a truck guy, but I'm projecting MY personal desires on YOUR situation (home reno and possible international travel).
What percent of your time - distance would be travel with a trailer/camper?
The motorhome was let go partly because of one more motor to manage, leaving you with three currently. Would you prefer to have just one, or is two a preference?
I, and I presume others, are acting as sounding boards to assist you in deciding for your self what is best for you.
Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m so sorry for your loss. My mom became a widow at 60 and traveled solo for 30 years until she recently hung up her RV spurs. She occasionally brought a companion, which could be a factor as you consider options. Flexible sleeping options are nice. She went the small motorhome route and kept a compact vehicle for everyday use.

Truck campers- except the smallest pop-top units without bathrooms- will likely require more truck than your F150. They also lack pass-throughs to the cab, so you can’t drive off from an overnight stop without exiting your vehicle. Just food for thought.

A small Class C (sometimes called a B+) could be another option. Chinook (shown) is a well-made unit and fits in a regular parking spot. Sleeping options include twin beds that can be combined into a single large bed. Galley has a double sink with food prep area, range/oven, and large fridge. Small wet bath. The coach is all-molded fiberglass. Gas mileage is such that you’d probably want a small vehicle as your everyday driver, though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4B65731-9420-4C35-A0D6-3E23D425AA4D.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	144408

As you say, having a single drivetrain to maintain is a big plus in favor of a towable RV. Maybe start by keeping your F150 and the larger of your two current trailers. Try a few trips to see how you enjoy traveling solo with a trailer. Then upgrade to a larger trailer or change to a different RV type depending on how it goes. I’m all for incremental change.

Best wishes whatever you decide!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #8

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Greetings.

I have as tow vehicles:

Bathroom would be great.
Hi Gigi!

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Were you the couple with the Lovebug and Puck that camped at Lanesboro for Buffalo Bill Days? Terry and I loved that setup. We live in Lanesboro.

You have and love your F150, so stick with that.

You enjoyed the "cush" of your Winnebago, so I'm guessing too small won't work. We have an Escape 5.0, but the stairs might be hard for your Corgi. There are a number of Escape 21's and 19's in Minnesota/Wisconsin to look at. If you live in SE Minnesota I know a couple who would be pleased to show you their 21.

OTOH, we owned a Casita Spirit for 5 years and it was wonderful for when we worked, camped weekends, and one trip a year to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, but for us it was too small for the extended stays we now have in retirement. We're all different though.

Food for thought,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #9

Minnesota & Arizona
Bonnie, so obvious, right?
Yes. I am keeping the Lovebug. It is just too easy to love. Thank you for your post.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #10

Minnesota & Arizona
"This one's not as clear cut.
The comment about the VW getting 40~50 mpg leads me to think it's a TDI. I'm familiar with those ("Lug_Nut" on TDIClub dot com) having owned and driven, or fixed and flipped, 14 different TDI. I most regret selling my 2000 NB with 'only' 409,000 miles. I know that they are well suited for the small trailers, so MY preference would be that one.
The truck would be my reluctant second choice as I'm not a truck guy, but I'm projecting MY personal desires on YOUR situation (home reno and possible international travel).
What percent of your time - distance would be travel with a trailer/camper?
The motorhome was let go partly because of one more motor to manage, leaving you with three currently. Would you prefer to have just one, or is two a preference?
I, and I presume others, are acting as sounding boards to assist you in deciding for your self what is best for you.
Jon MB"

Quite right, JonMB, I wonder if I am seeing this right or am I missing something?

I was approached by someone about the Winnebago and I sold it. It was too large for me to drive confidently alone. And, I didn't know much about the MH. The buyer is happy and I am free to explore options.

I am definitely selling the Eriba Puck despite it being easy to tow and having the king size bed and it is just so cool.

That is interesting about your history with VW. They are quite cute. I happened into mine as my cars were not up north when DF passed. My lovely neighbor saw I needed a car and sold me his 2000NB. He took very good care of it and I enjoy it being a manual. I take my little Corgi out in it and very much enjoy the country roads in it.

To answer your question of wanting 2 campers is that I raised my children in camping and now with their young children they will borrow my campers. I will be in the Lovebug whilst they enjoy the larger rig.

Why the pickup hesitation? Upkeep? Gas prices? I should say I get 16 MP g here in Phoenix and 18-19 on my long trip here.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m so sorry for your loss. My mom became a widow at 60 and traveled solo for 30 years until she recently hung up her RV spurs. She occasionally brought a companion, which could be a factor as you consider options. Flexible sleeping options are nice. She went the small motorhome route and kept a compact vehicle for everyday use.

Truck campers- except the smallest pop-top units without bathrooms- will likely require more truck than your F150. They also lack pass-throughs to the cab, so you can’t drive off from an overnight stop without exiting your vehicle. Just food for thought.

A small Class C (sometimes called a B+) could be another option. Chinook (shown) is a well-made unit and fits in a regular parking spot. Sleeping options include twin beds that can be combined into a single large bed. Galley has a double sink with food prep area, range/oven, and large fridge. Small wet bath. The coach is all-molded fiberglass. Gas mileage is such that you’d probably want a small vehicle as your everyday driver, though.
Attachment 144408

As you say, having a single drivetrain to maintain is a big plus in favor of a towable RV. Maybe start by keeping your F150 and the larger of your two current trailers. Try a few trips to see how you enjoy traveling solo with a trailer. Then upgrade to a larger trailer or change to a different RV type depending on how it goes. I’m all for incremental change.

Best wishes whatever you decide!
Thank you, Jon. Such a nice response. Your mom is an inspiration.
Everything you write mirrors my thoughts of the last few days. I think you offered really good advice.

I still hope to see you in Arizona some day.

Thank you, Jon
Old 12-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #12

Minnesota & Arizona
"Hi Gigi!

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Were you the couple with the Lovebug and Puck that camped at Lanesboro for Buffalo Bill Days? Terry and I loved that setup. We live in Lanesboro.

You have and love your F150, so stick with that.

You enjoyed the "cush" of your Winnebago, so I'm guessing too small won't work. We have an Escape 5.0, but the stairs might be hard for your Corgi. There are a number of Escape 21's and 19's in Minnesota/Wisconsin to look at. If you live in SE Minnesota I know a couple who would be pleased to show you their 21.

OTOH, we owned a Casita Spirit for 5 years and it was wonderful for when we worked, camped weekends, and one trip a year to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, but for us it was too small for the extended stays we now have in retirement. We're all different though.

Food for thought,

Perry"

Thank you for your condolences, Perry.
It is unusual for a another person to have both a Lovebug and an Eriba, no? It wasn't my set up. I have had both there but not at the same time.

I love Lanesboro and have set up the easel there often.

The pickup will stay for the next year as I am renovating and trying to empty my storage units. But, I really enjoy driving it-being up higher...

Thank you for your kind offer to show me the Escapes. They are fine campers. A very keen observation about the steps for my dog. I built a ramp for him to get into the pickup. I could for the camper, too.

When I get to Lanesboro, I hope to meet you and your wife.
Thank you, Perry
Old 12-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler
I have owned three Eriba trailers, two Pucks and a Triton and I love the little things but I'm a fan of minimalist camping and I think the Love Bug /F-150 combo would be a keeper. Pucks are in very high demand - especially among the VW enthusiasts so you should be able to sell it for a nice profit to somebody who will give it a good home. The Samba (VW site) is probably the best place to advertise it.

I sold my Triton around three years ago and bought an Escape 17 sight unseen. For some reason it just didn't click with me - it seemed very cramped inside with the centrally mounted bath and used it a few times and then sold it for a loss and bought another Puck. The Escape was a very good trailer but just didn't fit my needs.

I've had a Boler, a U-Haul, three Eribas an Escape and a pop-up camper and I've learned to take a good long look at campers before jumping into them. My sister has a 17' Casita which is very nice but a little bigger than I need. In retrospect I probably should have kept the Triton. I really enjoyed a couple of fiberglass trailer rallys I've been to - getting to tour the trailers and see how different owners have adapted them to their needs has been very enlightening.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1970 Eriba Puck
California
Condolences for your Loss Gigi.

For any trailer/RV sales - it may be best to wait until closer to Spring when folks start thinking about camping & travel again, & when it's better weather to see & transport trailers outside of your winter up there - & therefore when prices may be better than now around the Holidays.

Being fellow `70 Puck owners, I can offer some suggestions to you on that end, as well as for your other questions & machinations.

Since you said that you can't keep your `70 Puck for personal/emotional reasons - I suggest that you go to TheSamba website's Puck topic link below & post all about it there (you'll see posts of our `70 Puck since 2018, & its prior owners in there since 2009), as well as placing an ad in their Classifieds section for accessories/misc. (see both links below) - since it's basically a VW forum. As a fellow Puck owner, you'll know that Pucks are highly prized by classic Vdubbers.

Puck Topic here - 1st page at start & latest page of posts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...asc&start=1860

Pucks are usually listed here at the "VW/Porsche Related" classified section:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...7340da48ee3f20

You can post photos & info on your Puck, & ask for price/value feedback from the collective on there - and keep in mind that all trailers, RVs & autos/trucks are up in value now - even more so than in the 2016-20 pre-COVID run-up in the popularity of camping with the growing Baby Boom Echo 30-somethings generations' families. TheSamba is free to join & free to advertise BTW.

You can also advertise it at Tin Can Tourists (must be a paid member), &/or other VW Forums, as well as at Vintage Camper Trailer magazine (print & online) -

https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com/

https://classifieds.vintagecampertrailers.com/

Also since you're also in AZ - presumably as a Snow Bird - you could also take it to &/or have fliers at the annual January "Buses by the Bridge" event at Havasu -

https://www.busesbythebridge.com/

Also check with Jon in AZ from his post above about your Puck FS.

Given your `72 Lovebug & `70 Puck, as well as mentioning your friend's vintage `78 Trillium - I'm assuming that you like the Vintage Trailer/RV scene & rallies, events, etc. scene - or are at least attracted to the vintage side of trailers.

Fortunately your `72 Lovebug that you may want to keep will have you in the Vintage Trailer/RV Rallies, and either a Sprinter or another Class B (or B+ or small C-) with adequate towing capacity would enable you to both tow with it, & sleep in "cush" that you desire at the rallies with your bathroom. It will also allow you to be safe & self-contained with your Corgi for longer XC trips - with or without towing a trailer.

As the person charged with the care, feeding, hitching/unhitching, loading/unloading, etc. of our bigger 1960 Avion T20 (full bath, 21'-6" L & truck/suv towed) & our little 1970 Puck, as well as our `88 VW Westy since new - I can categorically say that it is far easier & quicker to keep our Westy (class loaded & ready to roll, & just pack trip food & luggage, throw it in & go - than all of the other rituals for the trailers (& we tow the Puck with the Westy). But our Avion we got with a full bath & comfy gaucho sofa bed for my wife's Glamping needs - long before she/we fell in love with the Lil' Pucker, but we still do go off camping at non-vintage events with just the Westy. We also keep all 3 stocked in part for emergency use in an earthquake or something, which also applies as emergency back-up in flash flood, tornado & hurricane etc. country too - pretty much anywhere.

Ergo, my suggestion would be for you to have a nice modern-ish Class B Van Camper with a comfy bed & full bath/shower inside like yours but smaller & newer, which can tow your vintage trailer, & can also be used around town too. Your proposed AL-Can trip would probably also be more comfy & safe in that self-contained option, than in a truck+trailer rig on that long & rough-stretches trip.

There several nice options on Ford, Chevy, RAM/Dodge & Sprinter (both Dodge & MBZ) chassis, which also have the ability to tow your FG `72 Lovebug &/or something vintage in FG or Aluminum (e.g.: 1950s - 70s Airstream or Vintage Kin Silver Twinkies, Shasta & other Canned Hams, Trilliums, Casitas, etc., etc.) in the <1980s era with a full bath - if you decide to upgrade as others suggested in prior posts. They can be had new or used, but have the used ones checked by your trusted mechanic before you buy.

A smaller Class C like the Chinook that Jon suggested is a tad longer, but still city usable, although the Chinooks is still made - they now offer Class B+ on Ford & MBZ Sprinter Chassis (B+ or C- ... whatever), but the model in Jon's photo were based on a 1 ton chassis & modified from their ambulance body shell design as campers - ergo the rear door on most Chinooks.

Also - I think that it was Jon in AZ saying recently that he would love to get a Puck, so ....

While it does add another drivetrain to keep up, it won't have anywhere near the miles put on it, as would your truck with personal + work use around town. So hopefully the maintenance, insurance, fuel, care, & feeding won't be anywhere near that of your more heavily used truck.

Since you said that you need a truck for work - that Class B would be in addition to &/or alternative to your F150 that you want to keep for your home resto/renno projects. However, be aware that the older pick-ups that aren't so jacked-up for "marketing wow" reasons are far better work trucks with lower beds & lift heights. Many construction companies have had a raft of back & other injuries & workers comp claims due to the too tall pickups in current & recent years.

I don't know if nor how much your 2011 F150 is jacked-up in bed & cab height - so with your back fused & lift heights concern - you may want to look closely at how well your 2011 F150 fits your current & future work needs - & if too high, then consider selling/trading for a well maintained older F150 or other pick-up that isn't jacked up by the manufacturers' marketing depts. for the "Off-Roader Wannabe" crowd. You can still use an older but lower pick-up for your local projects & local camping/towing, but then use the cushy Class B for longer trips & towing.

As for your other vehicles - I'd say that it's a good idea to have at least one reliable car with good mpg for around town, or maybe even a plug-in hybrid or EV - so that the pick-up &/or Class B don't eat up your budget with their typically far lower mpg. Whether that's the lower miles Mini, or higher mpg New Bug - you can look to what the past & ongoing maintenance costs will be, & of course which you like to drive best.

So if I'm understanding your goals & preferences correctly - you want a work truck (that can also tow), a fuel efficient daily driver for errands etc., a vintage trailer that you can use for both vintage trailer/RV events & regular camping - but with something cushy with a good bed & bathroom to comfortably camp in.

However, I'm not sure which vehicles are used where - between MN & AZ, but that dual homestead will duplicate some need too - so you may want to keep both cars (&/or trailers &/or trucks) - with one in MN & other in AZ.

However, as a caution that we also extended prior to buying our Puck, to the prior owner of our Puck after he too lost his wife unexpectedly & relatively young - you may want to wait for a few months to settle on your own preferences after your loss, so as not to jump to something that you later regret.

The Puck will be harder to replace than other more commonly available FG trailers made here in the US/Canada, so that may be one to think about selling for a bit, and make your final decision further away from your loss, & after all the emotions settle a bit.

Likewise, take some time to think about where you'll be agewise & healthwise in a few more years of aging & the aches & pains associated with it. At 69 & 75 now - we're less able than just a few years ago - but we'd done things to ensure comfort & ease of use, & I can say that our Puck being smaller & lighter will be easier to hitch-up, but I got the Avion fitted out with an easy to use Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch that has no lifting of anything but the tow-bar/stinger, in order to keep it easy to hitch & level the WD with wind-up jacks for the torsion bars.

So also think about what you'll feel comfortable with doing the traveling, camping, setting up, hitching & hauling in future years too.

You also sound like somebody with a lot in common with my wife - who also does oil & watercolor, & other arts & crafts over the years; while I'm an architect, r.e. broker & developer etc. close to your occupations.

We also love doing the vintage trailer rallies, & if you ever do any vintage rallies in CA from your AZ base - so let us know & maybe we'll meet up at a future rally. One of our regular couples also have Corgiis, & he does the annual vintage trailer calendar that you see at Vintage Camper Trailers magazine.

Hopefully this adds some food for thought to your decisions.

Holiday Cheers!
Tom & Jana

More on our Puck here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...uck-94882.html

Puck + Westy at the 2019 Pismo Vintage Rally:

///////
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Is there room for a cassette toilet in your Lovebug?
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #16

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I have owned three Eriba trailers, two Pucks and a Triton and I love the little things but I'm a fan of minimalist camping and I think the Love Bug /F-150 combo would be a keeper. Pucks are in very high demand - especially among the VW enthusiasts so you should be able to sell it for a nice profit to somebody who will give it a good home. The Samba (VW site) is probably the best place to advertise it.

I sold my Triton around three years ago and bought an Escape 17 sight unseen. For some reason it just didn't click with me - it seemed very cramped inside with the centrally mounted bath and used it a few times and then sold it for a loss and bought another Puck. The Escape was a very good trailer but just didn't fit my needs.

I've had a Boler, a U-Haul, three Eribas an Escape and a pop-up camper and I've learned to take a good long look at campers before jumping into them. My sister has a 17' Casita which is very nice but a little bigger than I need. In retrospect I probably should have kept the Triton. I really enjoyed a couple of fiberglass trailer rallys I've been to - getting to tour the trailers and see how different owners have adapted them to their needs has been very enlightening.
Hi, Jack. I have read your posts about our Pucks. You are quite knowledgable of them. They are such nice campers. I wish we could have enjoyed ours as we planned. You are fortunate to have had three and enjoyed them.

I agree that the F150/Lovebug combo is a sure bet.

Thank you for your reply, Jack. And, I appreciate your advice on selling the Puck.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #17

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Condolences for your Loss Gigi.

For any trailer/RV sales - it may be best to wait until closer to Spring when folks start thinking about camping & travel again, & when it's better weather to see & transport trailers outside of your winter up there - & therefore when prices may be better than now around the Holidays.

Being fellow `70 Puck owners, I can offer some suggestions to you on that end, as well as for your other questions & machinations.

Since you said that you can't keep your `70 Puck for personal/emotional reasons - I suggest that you go to TheSamba website's Puck topic link below & post all about it there (you'll see posts of our `70 Puck since 2018, & its prior owners in there since 2009), as well as placing an ad in their Classifieds section for accessories/misc. (see both links below) - since it's basically a VW forum. As a fellow Puck owner, you'll know that Pucks are highly prized by classic Vdubbers.

Puck Topic here - 1st page at start & latest page of posts:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...asc&start=1860

Pucks are usually listed here at the "VW/Porsche Related" classified section:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...7340da48ee3f20

You can post photos & info on your Puck, & ask for price/value feedback from the collective on there - and keep in mind that all trailers, RVs & autos/trucks are up in value now - even more so than in the 2016-20 pre-COVID run-up in the popularity of camping with the growing Baby Boom Echo 30-somethings generations' families. TheSamba is free to join & free to advertise BTW.

You can also advertise it at Tin Can Tourists (must be a paid member), &/or other VW Forums, as well as at Vintage Camper Trailer magazine (print & online) -

https://www.vintagecampertrailers.com/

https://classifieds.vintagecampertrailers.com/

Also since you're also in AZ - presumably as a Snow Bird - you could also take it to &/or have fliers at the annual January "Buses by the Bridge" event at Havasu -

https://www.busesbythebridge.com/

Also check with Jon in AZ from his post above about your Puck FS.

Given your `72 Lovebug & `70 Puck, as well as mentioning your friend's vintage `78 Trillium - I'm assuming that you like the Vintage Trailer/RV scene & rallies, events, etc. scene - or are at least attracted to the vintage side of trailers.

Fortunately your `72 Lovebug that you may want to keep will have you in the Vintage Trailer/RV Rallies, and either a Sprinter or another Class B (or B+ or small C-) with adequate towing capacity would enable you to both tow with it, & sleep in "cush" that you desire at the rallies with your bathroom. It will also allow you to be safe & self-contained with your Corgi for longer XC trips - with or without towing a trailer.

As the person charged with the care, feeding, hitching/unhitching, loading/unloading, etc. of our bigger 1960 Avion T20 (full bath, 21'-6" L & truck/suv towed) & our little 1970 Puck, as well as our `88 VW Westy since new - I can categorically say that it is far easier & quicker to keep our Westy (class loaded & ready to roll, & just pack trip food & luggage, throw it in & go - than all of the other rituals for the trailers (& we tow the Puck with the Westy). But our Avion we got with a full bath & comfy gaucho sofa bed for my wife's Glamping needs - long before she/we fell in love with the Lil' Pucker, but we still do go off camping at non-vintage events with just the Westy. We also keep all 3 stocked in part for emergency use in an earthquake or something, which also applies as emergency back-up in flash flood, tornado & hurricane etc. country too - pretty much anywhere.

Ergo, my suggestion would be for you to have a nice modern-ish Class B Van Camper with a comfy bed & full bath/shower inside like yours but smaller & newer, which can tow your vintage trailer, & can also be used around town too. Your proposed AL-Can trip would probably also be more comfy & safe in that self-contained option, than in a truck+trailer rig on that long & rough-stretches trip.

There several nice options on Ford, Chevy, RAM/Dodge & Sprinter (both Dodge & MBZ) chassis, which also have the ability to tow your FG `72 Lovebug &/or something vintage in FG or Aluminum (e.g.: 1950s - 70s Airstream or Vintage Kin Silver Twinkies, Shasta & other Canned Hams, Trilliums, Casitas, etc., etc.) in the <1980s era with a full bath - if you decide to upgrade as others suggested in prior posts. They can be had new or used, but have the used ones checked by your trusted mechanic before you buy.

A smaller Class C like the Chinook that Jon suggested is a tad longer, but still city usable, although the Chinooks is still made - they now offer Class B+ on Ford & MBZ Sprinter Chassis (B+ or C- ... whatever), but the model in Jon's photo were based on a 1 ton chassis & modified from their ambulance body shell design as campers - ergo the rear door on most Chinooks.

Also - I think that it was Jon in AZ saying recently that he would love to get a Puck, so ....

While it does add another drivetrain to keep up, it won't have anywhere near the miles put on it, as would your truck with personal + work use around town. So hopefully the maintenance, insurance, fuel, care, & feeding won't be anywhere near that of your more heavily used truck.

Since you said that you need a truck for work - that Class B would be in addition to &/or alternative to your F150 that you want to keep for your home resto/renno projects. However, be aware that the older pick-ups that aren't so jacked-up for "marketing wow" reasons are far better work trucks with lower beds & lift heights. Many construction companies have had a raft of back & other injuries & workers comp claims due to the too tall pickups in current & recent years.

I don't know if nor how much your 2011 F150 is jacked-up in bed & cab height - so with your back fused & lift heights concern - you may want to look closely at how well your 2011 F150 fits your current & future work needs - & if too high, then consider selling/trading for a well maintained older F150 or other pick-up that isn't jacked up by the manufacturers' marketing depts. for the "Off-Roader Wannabe" crowd. You can still use an older but lower pick-up for your local projects & local camping/towing, but then use the cushy Class B for longer trips & towing.

As for your other vehicles - I'd say that it's a good idea to have at least one reliable car with good mpg for around town, or maybe even a plug-in hybrid or EV - so that the pick-up &/or Class B don't eat up your budget with their typically far lower mpg. Whether that's the lower miles Mini, or higher mpg New Bug - you can look to what the past & ongoing maintenance costs will be, & of course which you like to drive best.

So if I'm understanding your goals & preferences correctly - you want a work truck (that can also tow), a fuel efficient daily driver for errands etc., a vintage trailer that you can use for both vintage trailer/RV events & regular camping - but with something cushy with a good bed & bathroom to comfortably camp in.

However, I'm not sure which vehicles are used where - between MN & AZ, but that dual homestead will duplicate some need too - so you may want to keep both cars (&/or trailers &/or trucks) - with one in MN & other in AZ.

However, as a caution that we also extended prior to buying our Puck, to the prior owner of our Puck after he too lost his wife unexpectedly & relatively young - you may want to wait for a few months to settle on your own preferences after your loss, so as not to jump to something that you later regret.

The Puck will be harder to replace than other more commonly available FG trailers made here in the US/Canada, so that may be one to think about selling for a bit, and make your final decision further away from your loss, & after all the emotions settle a bit.

Likewise, take some time to think about where you'll be agewise & healthwise in a few more years of aging & the aches & pains associated with it. At 69 & 75 now - we're less able than just a few years ago - but we'd done things to ensure comfort & ease of use, & I can say that our Puck being smaller & lighter will be easier to hitch-up, but I got the Avion fitted out with an easy to use Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch that has no lifting of anything but the tow-bar/stinger, in order to keep it easy to hitch & level the WD with wind-up jacks for the torsion bars.

So also think about what you'll feel comfortable with doing the traveling, camping, setting up, hitching & hauling in future years too.

You also sound like somebody with a lot in common with my wife - who also does oil & watercolor, & other arts & crafts over the years; while I'm an architect, r.e. broker & developer etc. close to your occupations.

We also love doing the vintage trailer rallies, & if you ever do any vintage rallies in CA from your AZ base - so let us know & maybe we'll meet up at a future rally. One of our regular couples also have Corgiis, & he does the annual vintage trailer calendar that you see at Vintage Camper Trailers magazine.

Hopefully this adds some food for thought to your decisions.

Holiday Cheers!
Tom & Jana

More on our Puck here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...uck-94882.html

Puck + Westy at the 2019 Pismo Vintage Rally:

///////
Thank you for such a thoughtful, kind response, Tom.

What a nice collection of campers you have and clearly enjoy.

I am going to look at the links you offered and see about attending a rally there. My friend who bought the Trillium would so enjoy a trip as this.

Your points are very good as to the best combination and which may be best now and in the future. I am expanding my thoughts to Class B and C to get what I want and need. Towing my Lovebug is a great idea.

I will be rereading this tonight and giving serious thought to your suggestions. I do hope to meet you and your wife, Tom.

Thank you.
Gigi
Old 12-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #18

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
Is there room for a cassette toilet in your Lovebug?
I do have one tucked under the front bunk. I am grateful for that .
Old 12-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler
I've seen a few Trilliums and think they are one of the nicest small fiberglass campers out there. Something about the design just seems so right. I saw one advertised locally (North Georgia) many years ago and should have bought it but I didn't know enough about them at the time. I think you are on the right track looking for one of those. For solo use a 15'-17' size camper is very nice if its light enough. My sisters 17' Casita is a bit of a pig with a fairly substantial tongue weight.

Good luck with your decisions.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #20

Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I've seen a few Trilliums and think they are one of the nicest small fiberglass campers out there. Something about the design just seems so right. I saw one advertised locally (North Georgia) many years ago and should have bought it but I didn't know enough about them at the time. I think you are on the right track looking for one of those. For solo use a 15'-17' size camper is very nice if its light enough. My sisters 17' Casita is a bit of a pig with a fairly substantial tongue weight.

Good luck with your decisions.
Thank you, Jack!