Which trailer do you regret selling? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lisa: You did fine. I think maybe the topic was expanded to the ones that some regretted buying or regret ending up getting stuck with. As you can see there is a great deal of passion and manufacturer loyalty among some in this community that just pops in here and there about the forum from time to time.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #62

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Thanks for your kindness in accepting our nattering on about other topics.
You're welcome, I enjoy reading the opinions of others.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #63

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Lisa: You did fine. I think maybe the topic was expanded to the ones that some regretted buying or regret ending up getting stuck with. As you can see there is a great deal of passion and manufacturer loyalty among some in this community that just pops in here and there about the forum from time to time.
Thank you. At one point I wondered if I should have titled the thread, "Which trailer are you glad you have". Ultimately the replies could have been the same and I'm fine with that.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #64

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
have to wonder if you are complaining or bragging
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #65

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
have to wonder if you are complaining or bragging
I'm definitely not a complainer and I'd be horrified to think I'd be considered a braggart as I'm sensitive and try to never hurt anyone's feelings.
I'm more of a second guess decisions I've made type of person.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #66

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The best way to be satisfied with a fiberglass trailer or any other as well.
Buy a trailer that needs to be completely rebuilt and then do it all yourself so that you alone choose the parts and pieces and quality of the work.
It has worked well for me and I guess that I will not sell it as few could figure out what I did and why.
The basic law of engineering says that every choice is a compromise between cost, space, weight, serviceability, and quality.
The manufacturer has the problem of building a trailer that meets the needs of it's customers and can be produced at a profit to insure the continued viability of the enterprise.
Personally I am surprised by the cost of new fiberglass trailers, but then I was also surprised by the cost of the one I renovated as well!
If a trailer makes you happy, keep it. If it does not make you happy, sell it, easy.
I think that if I had your choices with the current TV I have I would probably go with the 17' Casita, but then I don't go boondocking and the 13' would be a little small for the two of us I think.
We have a 16' Scamo, but it has been modified for twin beds and many more modifications to suit our needs and I wonder if any other small FGRVs would suit as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #67

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Typical out of context mis-quote: "The theory that because FG trailer manufacturers use the same poor quality appliances as stick built trailer manufacturers we should just accept that they will fail and be content makes no sense ( Misery loves Company ? )"

My theory was in response to the statement that "I thought FG trailers were trouble free".

If you somehow got a perfect, trouble free trailer, the appliances and parts: refrigerators, axles, water pumps, hot water heaters, electrical control centers, vent fans, ACs, etc. are the same parts used throughout the RV industry. These parts have a history of not being trouble free.

And trouble free does not = maintenance free. And finally, as noted by others, the builders themselves do not all have a stellar record. Certainly the design of my 1977 Trillium is flawed, and the new Trilliums continued some of these designs, like the mounting of the door hinges and belly band, to mention two. Solutions to these two problems are well documented in this forum and others.

Now the condition of my neglected 1977 Trillium was light years better than the average stick built trailer from the same era.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #68

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If a trailer makes you happy, keep it. If it does not make you happy, sell it, easy.
I like that motto. At the moment all 3 make me happy. I think I'm going to go sit in one now and enjoy the pretend camping experience.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #69

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I see from your photo that was a nice setup. Do you think you'll look for another one?

I sold the Eriba Puck because at the time I had two trailers and felt a little guilty about not using both of them enough - in retrospect I should have just kept it as they were each suited for different situations. The Puck was great for weekend solo camping trips which seem to be more frequent than the bigger trips where the two of us go.

I'm seriously considering selling my 2017 17B Escape and looking for another Eriba - not the ones that came out of Canada - those are pretty crappy. It turns out my wife isn't a big fan of camping so I've got a lot more trailer than I need now.
Attached Thumbnails
C12P9413.jpg   C12P9678.jpg  

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #70

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I sold the Eriba Puck because at the time I had two trailers and felt a little guilty about not using both of them enough - in retrospect I should have just kept it as they were each suited for different situations. The Puck was great for weekend solo camping trips which seem to be more frequent than the bigger trips where the two of us go.

I'm seriously considering selling my 2017 17B Escape and looking for another Eriba - not the ones that came out of Canada - those are pretty crappy. It turns out my wife isn't a big fan of camping so I've got a lot more trailer than I need now.
Your Escape is beautiful. I do hope you find an Eriba Puck though as it seems you have fond memories of it.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #71

California
Registry
Lately, I've been testing all of the systems in the 16' Deluxe.
It has a Progressive Dynamics Power Converter. It is working, but I recall reading a thread about some converters aren't very good, is this one considered good, or should I consider a different brand?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.44.04 AM.jpg  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #72

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
It has a Progressive Dynamics Power Converter. It is working, but I recall reading a thread about some converters aren't very good, is this one considered good, or should I consider a different brand?
Add a charge wizard and it will be fine.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/ch...charge-wizard/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #73

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's a nice reference Gordon. Thanks. I wasn't aware of them. Pretty inexpensive too.

Walt
Old 01-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #74

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Add a charge wizard and it will be fine.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/ch...charge-wizard/
Thank you I will get one ordered.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #75

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
That's a nice reference Gordon. Thanks. I wasn't aware of them. Pretty inexpensive too.

Walt
The Charge Wizard circuity is built into the 9200 series converters but Scamp (apparently) still uses the base model.. the 9100. The Charge Wizard can be added to a 9100 to make it a "smart" 4-stage charger like the 9200. If you have the 9200, or another converter which has 4-stage charging then you dont need (and cannot use) the Charge Wizard. Its only for Progressive Dynamics 9100 series converter / chargers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #76

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
I don't regret selling my '75 Eriba Puck. I just wish I 'd had the space to keep it. I own three cars. My daily and two vintage. I'm constantly asked why I need three cars. I don't. But I always regret selling a vintage car. I know I can never replace it at the price or condition. So, even though I am assigned only two parking spaces, I have three cars crammed in there.
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #77

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I really like this question, because we have had all 3 of those trailers! We had an antique aluminum-skinned woody that I restored/sold to finance our 1st FGRV, a Scamp 13 just like yours. Sold the S13 and bought a Casita 17’ which we sold then acquired our current trailer - a Scamp 16. I don’t regret selling any of them, because we realized the one for us is our Scamp 16’. However, I really liked the 13’ egg for longer cross-country type journeys (we went all over the country with it!) and, if I had space for a second FGRV, I would get another 13’r. For us, the 16’r does everything. If you don’t have to sell it, and if you know you’ll use it, and you don’t mind maintaining it, I would keep your little egg. Thanks again for posing a fun & hypothetical “WWID?”
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #78

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
2001 trailmaner

A lot of room easy to pull I would buy another if I can find the right size and price
Carver 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #79

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape Travel Trailers
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've never sold a trailer, but have purchased two which I still own. I know all the warts on/in both trailers. Neither is perfect, but neither am I so I consider us a matched set! Both trailers function as designed. All the issues I've had were not the trailer manufacturers fault, but bad products from other manufacturers. The same appliances all the all-molded-towable manufacturers use. I'm on my second water pump, third propane regulator and second new furnace in my Escape. None of those products were manufactured by Escape. It can be a PITA at times, but I'm adaptable. When something stops working and can't be repaired while camping... carry on! It's not a first world problem and is solvable at home. Perhaps others prefer to be angry all the time. Not me, life is too short for that nonsense.
A bit of common sense! Thanks, Donna
Steve Holderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #80

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Kev View Post
I really like this question, because we have had all 3 of those trailers! We had an antique aluminum-skinned woody that I restored/sold to finance our 1st FGRV, a Scamp 13 just like yours. Sold the S13 and bought a Casita 17’ which we sold then acquired our current trailer - a Scamp 16. I don’t regret selling any of them, because we realized the one for us is our Scamp 16’. However, I really liked the 13’ egg for longer cross-country type journeys (we went all over the country with it!) and, if I had space for a second FGRV, I would get another 13’r. For us, the 16’r does everything. If you don’t have to sell it, and if you know you’ll use it, and you don’t mind maintaining it, I would keep your little egg. Thanks again for posing a fun & hypothetical “WWID?”
Wow, that's a coincidence! Did your 13 have the sofa/bunk beds in front?
Is your Scamp 16' a front bath or side bath?
Just curious.

Tags
scamp