Which trailers do not use rat fur? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: none
North Carolina
Which trailers do not use rat fur?

I am totally new to RVing and fiberglass trailers. I was recently looking at a Burro trailer for sale ad and it looked like this particular trailer did not have any form of fabric/material covering the walls. I think I would like a trailer that does not have fabrics due to allergies.

Can anyone supply a list of trailers that do not use materials on the interior walls? Thanks!
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Correct, the Burro interior is white gelcoat fiberglass. There are 2 fiberglass shells that make up the body, wiring insulation, etc run between the interior & exterior shells. - That's a key reason we went with a Burro. We travel with dogs and the interior is a dream to clean up. Great for allergies too.

The Oliver is similar with gelcoat interior. They are gorgeous but expensive.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Happier Camper

Happier Camper has fiberglass walls.
https://happiercamper.com/
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
I am totally new to RVing and fiberglass trailers. I was recently looking at a Burro trailer for sale ad and it looked like this particular trailer did not have any form of fabric/material covering the walls. I think I would like a trailer that does not have fabrics due to allergies.

Can anyone supply a list of trailers that do not use materials on the interior walls? Thanks!
Always ask the owner seller what is the interior finish of its shell, because over the years there may have been changes to perform ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Our Oliver has no Rat fur. Just a clean gel coat finish on the interior shell. Easy to maintain and to attach suction cup and those 3M hangers on.
Cheers,
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Trailers with no rat fur

EggCampers don't have anything on the walls. Not in production right now, but occasionally for sale...

PICTURE TOUR OF EGGCAMPER

Best of luck in your search!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If you were to post the materials your body can't put up with and the budget you are working with that would help with suggestions.
Older bolers don't have rat fur but have Ensolite interiors. If that product is a problem for you it is paintable.
Just a thought.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about this? The only brand of trailer, the ONLY brand of trailer that has Rat Fur is Scamp.. after mid-1980s. Now, Rat Fur is truly marine-grade headliner material and other brands use that. But Rat Fur is strictly for Scamps as 'coined' by Pete Dumbleton here on FiberglassRV, so very many years ago.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Ed, Lil Snoozy is another fiberglass trailer without fabric on the walls, and they are made in St. Matthews S.C., and Parkliner is another, and it was made in N.C.
Best of luck in your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
amerigos, a vintage-type trailer, have an interior of finished ply, not rat fur or ensolite. But as posted above, if you ask anyone selling a used trailer what's inside, that'd be good as people do remuddle things--I know we did!

Though Peanut still doesn't have rat fur or ensolite inside.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Some people find fibreglass out-gassing irritates their allergies. One would have to know your specific allergy to offer any useful suggestions.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Saw a 70's Trillium at a lot in Tucson yesterday, taking the kid to the Airport, no rat fur, soft material must have been ensolite? Neat little thing.

rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Trillium

Vintage Trillium campers incorporated a vinyl-coated ensolite interior liner. The Trillium Outback trailers produced in Alberta utilize a "marine quality carpeting". Escape trailers manufactured in British Columbia utilize a "unique insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering".
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Which trailers do not use rat fur?

INTERIOR WALLS BY BRAND

Smooth gelcoat: Oliver, Happier Camper, Parkliner 16, EggCamper, Burro, U-Haul

Textured fiberglass: Lil Snoozy

Vinyl over closed cell foam: Escape, Scamp (pre-1985), Boler, Trillium

Paneled: Bigfoot, Relic

The list is not exhaustive, but it includes recent offerings and some common vintage units.

All trailers have curtains, upholstery, carpet, and other soft surfaces where allergens can accumulate. The walls are just one piece of the picture.

Marine headliner (Scamp's "rat fur" is one variation) is non-absorbent, so a good steam cleaning and occasional vacuuming should minimize issues.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I owned a Uhaul a few years back and although it did not have rat fur it did have a strip of carpet down the middle of the top which was about 1 foot wide. It did not look like it would be hard to remove. I don't know if all Uhauls had this carpet strip but mine did. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
minimizing allergy and asthma symptoms

I have allergies and asthma, particularly to mold and dust mites. Here's how we keep allergy and asthma symptoms under control.

- eliminated existing mold problems by re-sealing the body, and cleaning, steaming and treating the interior
- interior gel coat and ensolite surfaces are easy to keep clean and mold free
- regularly wash curtains, cushion covers and bedding
- watch for and fix any subsequent leaks

EDIT:

I suspect any type interior surface might work with regular cleaning.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #17

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about this? The only brand of trailer, the ONLY brand of trailer that has Rat Fur is Scamp.. after mid-1980s. Now, Rat Fur is truly marine-grade headliner material and other brands use that. But Rat Fur is strictly for Scamps as 'coined' by Pete Dumbleton here on FiberglassRV, so very many years ago.
Donna, maybe we don't have true rat fur as you describe, but our Casita walls are definitely lined with shag carpet and other Casita owners call it rat fur. I actually like it because it is warm and you can also use drapery hooks to hang stuff. But it does hold odor and probably wouldn't be so good for people with allergies.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Donna, maybe we don't have true rat fur as you describe, but our Casita walls are definitely lined with shag carpet and other Casita owners call it rat fur. I actually like it because it is warm and you can also use drapery hooks to hang stuff. But it does hold odor and probably wouldn't be so good for people with allergies.
That's because it's CARPET, not marine-grade headliner material. I now own a trailer with a vinyl-skinned foam interior. The trailer is wonderful and I love it, but still MISS the soft, warm interior of my Rat Fur lined Scamp
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote