Which Trailers Have A Double Shell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Which Trailers Have A Double Shell?

Again, I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I just watched a new Scamp youtube video and they showed how the shell was made at the factory with a single shell. So, now I am realizing why Scamp has the rivets and Eggcamper doesn't, I think. I had thought the cabinets, etc. were molded into the Scamp but I was wrong on that. At this point, I am looking at the smallest of the small trailers so the Eggcamper is a little bigger than I want. I am guessing that Casita is single shell but that Escape and maybe Weiscraft are not. I'm going to do some research on this but wanted to post this in case someone else wasn't paying close attention to the manufacturing processes. I'm just used to stickies!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The Escape is a single shell, however it is available with extra insulation. The Oliver is a double shell.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Burros and UHauls are double shell, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Possibly Cloud, the Burro ancestor, but we're not going see one of those round the corner every 15 minutes.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Again, I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I just watched a new Scamp youtube video and they showed how the shell was made at the factory with a single shell. So, now I am realizing why Scamp has the rivets and Eggcamper doesn't, I think. I had thought the cabinets, etc. were molded into the Scamp but I was wrong on that.
A single shell isn't necessarily an indicator of rivet use. It sounds like you're interested in molded interiors integral to the shell, a process some feel contributes to structural integrity.

Glassing molded cabinets directly to the molded shell, as is done with Trilliums (link), Outbacks ( link), and probably others is one way of achieving that result.

Both Trillium and Outback produce a trailer smaller and lighter than the Eggcamper.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Perris Pacer does have a single shell, but cabinets are glassed in.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Registry
And the Escape uses very few rivets - supports for internal cabinets, etc are molded into the shell. They do use rivets to attach the awning at the shell, and for accessory covers, etc, but not structurally.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I an understand your interest in construction, but I think that the general consensus would be that it doesn't make that big a difference. Unless you are planning to buy a new unit, the first priority is usually finding one, any one, for sale.

FWIW: The 13' Lil' Bigfoot only has a few through the hull fasteners and has lots and lots of insulation.

Is your concern cosmetic or structural?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Registry
I can see one big advantage of a double hull - added insulation for cooler summers & warmer winters...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #10

My main concern was structural. I watched the video and thought, "That's what I would get for all that money!". The unit looked great and I wanted one immediately until I saw the building process. I do like the look of the molded-in interiors but the deluxe wood that Scamp has is beautiful. I just feel the less things to work loose, the happier I would be. Thank you everyone for your responses.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My main concern was structural. I watched the video and thought, "That's what I would get for all that money!". The unit looked great and I wanted one immediately until I saw the building process. I do like the look of the molded-in interiors but the deluxe wood that Scamp has is beautiful. I just feel the less things to work loose, the happier I would be. Thank you everyone for your responses.
I have a 2004 Custom Deluxe Scamp which is now nine years old and has been towed 60,000+ miles Washington State, Maine, Minnesota,Florida etc. The wood interior is screwed into place, not riveted. Not one screw has yet to work loose, and the structural integrity is rock solid and as good as new. I have owned several trailers of each type of construction, and though they are all better than stick built, I would choose the Scamp Deluxe over any other type. Barring some terrible accident, I expect to leave my Scamp in my will. (if they refuse to bury me in it!)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I expect to leave my Scamp in my will.
Have I told you lately how much I love, respect, and admire you, Floyd?

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Gathering Details
Illinois
Quote:
Take a look at the Lil Snoozy. It is double hull with foam sandwiched between them so very solid. It also has wood interior that looks good.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #14

Snoozy is not a double Hull as described above.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #15

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Snoozy is not a double Hull as described above.
Sorry wrong word. Double SHELL not double Hull.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Sorry wrong word. Double SHELL not double Hull.

What the heck is the difference between a "shell" and a "hull"????

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #17

As John mentions "The Escape is a single shell....The Oliver is a double shell." So Snoozy is a single shell to him and me. I don't know what Cathy would call it. I get a kick out of Semantics It's a shell game in this forum.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #18

Illinois
The Oliver site said Double Wall Insulated Fiberglass. The snoozy has double fiberglass walls with insulation between them. Ins't that the same thing? just asking....
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
As John mentions "The Escape is a single shell....The Oliver is a double shell." So Snoozy is a single shell to him and me. I don't know what Cathy would call it. I get a kick out of Semantics It's a shell game in this forum.

The Escape has a single fiberglass surface...the Oliver has two (one inside and one outside).

Doesn't the Snoozy have two fiberglass surfaces, one on the inside and one on the outside? Is the distinction that the Snoozy has foam between them whereas the Oliver doesn't????

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #20

Now we have 3 words, shell, wall and Hull LOL. There is a cross section photo of the Snoozy in the archives. Someone took it at the factory. We need Brian B-P in here, he will get everything in order for us. Brian if you are out there, help