Why are Bigfoot Trailers Getting So Popular? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #61

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
So neither one of you has woken Kevin up at 3:00 AM ?
That guy is one sound sleeper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #62

Name: Corey
Trailer: looking for a bigfoot!
California
I'm probably the minority because I'm only 30, but I'm looking for a 17 Bigfoot for my family of to travel in. My two girls are under 3 and we are planning a trip up to Alaska from California this summer. I grew up doing RV trips and I want to pass that tradition down my family.

The reason we are looking for a Bigfoot is because they have the most room for our little family in the 17' trailer size. That's it!
theREDwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #63

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDwonder View Post
I'm probably the minority because I'm only 30, but I'm looking for a 17 Bigfoot for my family of to travel in. My two girls are under 3 and we are planning a trip up to Alaska from California this summer. I grew up doing RV trips and I want to pass that tradition down my family.

The reason we are looking for a Bigfoot is because they have the most room for our little family in the 17' trailer size. That's it!

The older units are far less weight than later units. My 1991 unit loaded comes in at around 3000 lbs .
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #64

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That guy is one sound sleeper.
Kevin wants to know, "Don't you people ever sleep?"

CindyL
Old 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #65

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I think Bigfoots are being talked about more because they've been slowly selling more trailers for the past few years. They went out of business in ~2008 and when they came back a couple years later it was with very low volume and a single model at first. They went out of business before because the big crash happened right after they expanded production, so I imagine they're going slowly this time to avoid a repeat.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #66

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
most of the newer Bigfoots I've seen are the 25RQ model, often owned by fulltimer retirees who appreciate the walkaround queen aspect as much as anything. I think someone told me last weekend his weighed about 8000 lbs, which is nearly double my E21.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
most of the newer Bigfoots I've seen are the 25RQ model, often owned by fulltimer retirees who appreciate the walkaround queen aspect as much as anything. I think someone told me last weekend his weighed about 8000 lbs, which is nearly double my E21.
Thank you , that’s reassuring news to hear , even for those of us who don’t plan on fulltiming .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #68

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
I rather doubt any Bigfoot 25 foot trailer either the RQ or FB come in anywhere close to that weight. The older T2801 were nearly 8000 lbs. curb weight, but 25 foot trailer made by Bigfoot are in then high 4000 to high 5000 lb. range factory weight without options. Options bump it up relative to the number and weight of each option.

My 2008 25B25FB completely loaded up with what we take with us as well as the options which include the 2.5 Onan generator package and front box weighs in at 6420 lbs. as shown below on my scale weight ticket.
Attached Thumbnails
scaleweight.jpg  
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #69

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
I rather doubt any Bigfoot 25 foot trailer either the RQ or FB come in anywhere close to that weight. The older T2801 were nearly 8000 lbs. curb weight, but 25 foot trailer made by Bigfoot are in then high 4000 to high 5000 lb. range factory weight without options. Options bump it up relative to the number and weight of each option.

My 2008 25B25FB completely loaded up with what we take with us as well as the options which include the 2.5 Onan generator package and front box weighs in at 6420 lbs. as shown below on my scale weight ticket.
um, the trailer AXLE weight was 6420.... tongue weight could have been as much as 1000 more lbs, bringing you to 7400 or so. you need to do the same thing with just the truck loaded exactly the same, and take the difference to find the tongue weight.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #70

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
um, the trailer AXLE weight was 6420.... tongue weight could have been as much as 1000 more lbs, bringing you to 7400 or so. you need to do the same thing with just the truck loaded exactly the same, and take the difference to find the tongue weight.
oops
ShelbyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #71

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
There seems to be only one 25 included in the "Real World" chart @7840#.
ShelbyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #72

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have Jon's spreadsheet of Trailer Weights, there are five 25' Bigfoot
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #73

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
That's a seriously drastic variation in tongue weights. 600Lbs to 1400Lbs.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #74

Mid Left Coast
it varies with how you've loaded your gear. got aux stuff on the tongue? more weight. got full water tanks behind the axle? (45G on the 25!), less tongue weight.

1420 IS some serious tongue weight, thats a good chunk of the 2000 lb payload of my f250 diesel long bed, also far higher than the tow ball I use is rated (600 lb tongue, 6000 lb trailer).
Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 AM   #75

Name: charles
Trailer: 21 Bigfoot
Oregon
Apache crank up fiberglass or plastic first, than a casita, both older of course and now a bigfoot 21. it has a 17 foot box and 3 foot tongue for propane and battery. We wanted anything that one person didn't have to crawl over the other to get to the head at night. It is a 2009 and has a convertible couch with a table on wheels that rolls out of the way or you can put down to the height of a coffee table, or a nice foot stool, perfect for that. Table is secured when traveling of course. We travel loaded at about 4850 lb pulling with a Tundra. It's bigger than we need but very comfortable when we travel. Harder to get into those small places so our choices have to narrow a bit.
I think sometimes that maybe a 25 would be nice but now that they are so popular they are getting more expensive.
blkbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #76

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There's definitely a lack of Bigfoot representation on the "trailer weight" table here. We need to get some more of our trailers weighed!

I drove onto a truck scale at a rest stop a while back and got 2820 with it hooked up to my truck. Assuming a maximum of 350 tongue weight, no more than 3200lbs for my 17. But I would like to really measure it and the tongue weight someday for our thread on weight. I really have no idea what my tongue weight really is.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #77

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
There's definitely a lack of Bigfoot representation on the "trailer weight" table here. We need to get some more of our trailers weighed!

I drove onto a truck scale at a rest stop a while back and got 2820 with it hooked up to my truck. Assuming a maximum of 350 tongue weight, no more than 3200lbs for my 17. But I would like to really measure it and the tongue weight someday for our thread on weight. I really have no idea what my tongue weight really is.
next time, take two passes through the truck scale. one with the trailer, one with just the tug. difference between the two grosses is the trailer total weight, trailer total weight minus trailer axle weight is the tongue weight.

of course, those can change with every load-out, how full your fresh water vs grey+black tanks are, etc etc.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #78

Name: Darryl
Wisconsin
I built my 1978 Scamp from factory kit so learned much about FG construction and design. The “double” bed shrunk in sleeping comfort considerably over the years. It has been proudly passed on to my son and family with little kids. I started looking for something larger in 2010 and finally gravitated toward Bigfoot though I’d never seen one. I was focusing on the Bigfoot 17 ft in 2014 when I got a very strong online forum opinion to consider the 21 ft. After three months of daily intense searching I found a 2008 21 ft Rear Bed model that had almost no miles and garage storage. It was three times the volume my Scamp 13 so we were a bit overwhelmed by the size.
Our Bigfoot attracts attention in camp, at gas stations, visitor centers, everywhere - so it has great eye appeal. Many walkin visitors gasp at seeing the eight feet of width inside.
I have the external tongue storage option that extends the tongue by an extra ~3 feet. Most people don’t realize that extra tongue length dramatically enhances the towing dynamics, including inherently reduced sway and more forgiving tolerance to loading errors. The extra “rough storage” is great too.
Steve Dunham, I see you are in NW Wisconsin. I’m in your neck of the woods, so if you’d like a walk through my Bigfoot 21RB let me know.
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #79

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah, I was just being lazy. This rest stop is about half-way between the town I'm currently living in, and the town that still feels like home. I've been willing to pull in and see my weight, but not to park and detach and weigh again then re-attach.

But you're right, that'll be the best way. I'll find a good time to do it this summer, with a typical load in the trailer.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #80

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Our 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ weighed 6,300 #'s, with all our gear, and had a 950# tongue weight. We did not have the front storage box. Selling it because we got a great deal for a Lance 1995 was one of the dumbest things we've ever done.

We currently own an Escape 5.0 TA and love it, but it's not a Bigfoot. The Escape is our 13th camper so it's bound to be the lucky one that we'll stick with for years to come.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot