Why are Bigfoot Trailers Getting So Popular? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #81

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
I have a 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft and it is the very best trailer in the world!! It's size, quality and use of space are amazing. I love my Bigfoot!
Meg McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #82

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Or why do they seem to be, based on recent posts? I've been around this site since 2016, which isn't very long, but my experience was that Bigfoot owners and posts about the trailers were pretty rare. In the last few months there seems to be a large uptick in people asking about buying them, especially the big ones (25'). What's up with that?

Are they doing more marketing and so people who normally buy stick built are realizing there's a fiberglass option in the size they want? Or are fiberglass trailers getting more popular in general and people who don't want an "egg" but want fiberglass are looking at them?

Or what? It seems like every week there's a new post about wanting to buy a Bigfoot.

If any of you folks who are asking those questions read this, let us know! What got you interested?

They've just always seemed to be in background. There, but not on the tip of anyone's tongue when fiberglass trailers are brought up. More like "oh yeah, and there's also Bigfoot". Maybe I just joined during a lull in popularity?
There is always an uptick of interest in the fall, it has to do with the cold weather setting in and people realizing they want to stay warm without going broke for fuel cost.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #83

Name: R
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
Looking to buy first trailer, down to Bigfoot and Casita. A high priority is having easily replaceable parts long term and like that Casita has a parts site. Easy to replace parts for Bigfoot as well? Do they carry parts for older models long term?
xenokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Looking to buy first trailer, down to Bigfoot and Casita. A high priority is having easily replaceable parts long term and like that Casita has a parts site. Easy to replace parts for Bigfoot as well? Do they carry parts for older models long term?
Trailer parts for most trailers are mostly common items that can be bought at any RV parts store. That said, rarely are parts needed and I certainty wouldn't choose either of those trailers based on them.

I am interested how you arrived at choosing between Bigfoot and Casita, with other brands between the two cost or quality wise.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #85

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Your question- Bob, the Bigfoot is only 1" wider and 2" taller than the Casita? I really question the width number. How wide is a Casita? I think my Bigfoot is 8' wide, measured from the outside. I guess even if it's only 1" wider, that doesn't really give the sense of how much more space there really is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you check my original post, you'll see that I said 1' (foot) wider and 2" taller so, yes, my Bigfoot is 8' wide just like yours.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #86

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
That would be the last thing I would worry about. All the molded FG trailer manufacturers buy parts from the same short list of suppliers. The fiberglass "stuff" (which is unique to each manufacturer) doesn't tend to wear out. Wood cabinet doors are easy enough to make. I just made three replacement doors for my 1977 Trillium. 1/2 inch birch plywood, bought scrap pieces for $1 each, so the three doors cost me $3....

Bigfoot tends to have a lot more wood inside the trailer, any local cabinet maker can take care of that. Almost all of the "parts" on the Casita's site are not made by Casita, for example, I highly doubt they make rivets or rivet caps. If its the availability of parts from the manufacturer, Scamp wins hands down IMHO.

My choice would start with: "Do I need four season?" If so, that cancels most brands out, including Casita. If not, then I would look at other brands including Casita as the prices of the four season trailers can be double or even triple their three season competitors.

The second thing I would look at is floorplan. That was the biggest mistake we made on our first FG trailer. The floorplan did not suit us at all. We were in such a rush to find anything, I just pounced instead of understanding the differences. Lesson learned.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #87

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
We owned a Uhaul VT before getting the Bigfoot Silver Cloud. The Uhaul had proprietary parts, and as the only family that experienced a Uhaul hub blowout, we were very lucky to fall onto an old Uhaul dealer who happened to have 2 hubs in his stock in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and Montana. We never did find tail light covers during the time we owned the VT and had to jerry rig proprietary door hinges. We were able to find new rims, but they were not matching to the camper. The challenge was both challenging and frustrating.

Next trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud and they only made 12. After getting it, we needed to replace the fridge, the tires, the AC, the door, and some light covers. All were standard RV parts and easily found. Yes, some parts will be tough to replace, i.e. bedroom blinds and repair of sagging couch, but that is doable, not like the years of looking into taillight covers for the Uhaul.

CindyL
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #88

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
If you read the write up on truck camper mag. It should explain why you are seeing more bigfoot units.
We have a 25rq and its been great. The best of the 6 or so rv's that we have had over the years. Take care.
sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:02 PM   #89

Name: Mark
Trailer: BIGFOOT
TEXAS
We wanted a 5th wheel bad.so we researched 5th wheel trailers for 2 1/2 years until the time was right.according to our research the RV INDUSTRY is pretty good about SELLING low QUALITY built trailers.bumper pulls TOO.then we looked at the overpriced airstreams.the ones that are built paper thin with a lot of HOLES filled in with RIVETS! No storage and you FREEZE in them��..after that believe it or not I started googling rvs in Alaska.nothing good came up.then CANADA,then we found the HOLY GRAIL..the ELUSIVE BIGFOOT��..SCOUTS HONOR.our 2022 25B25RT we ordered will be delivered around January.and it doesn’t have a PIECE of PLASTIC under the TRAILER claiming it to be 4 season….it’s a REAL 4 season trailer
Guidefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #90

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidefisherman View Post
We wanted a 5th wheel bad.so we researched 5th wheel trailers for 2 1/2 years until the time was right.according to our research the RV INDUSTRY is pretty good about SELLING low QUALITY built trailers.bumper pulls TOO.then we looked at the overpriced airstreams.the ones that are built paper thin with a lot of HOLES filled in with RIVETS! No storage and you FREEZE in them��..after that believe it or not I started googling rvs in Alaska.nothing good came up.then CANADA,then we found the HOLY GRAIL..the ELUSIVE BIGFOOT��..SCOUTS HONOR.our 2022 25B25RT we ordered will be delivered around January.and it doesn’t have a PIECE of PLASTIC under the TRAILER claiming it to be 4 season….it’s a REAL 4 season trailer
Congratulations.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #91

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Ours, a 25rbq is being delivered in Portland in December!
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #92

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidefisherman View Post
Congrats place lots of pictures
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #93

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Nice CHOICE. Hope your delivery COMES off as PLANNED. Please POST a thread with pics of SOME really hardcore WINTER camping. Stay TOASTY!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #94

Name: Mark
Trailer: BIGFOOT
TEXAS
Thank you,will post
Guidefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #95

Name: Robert
Trailer: bigfoot
ID
The history of Bigfoot is interesting. In the very early days they were located in the US but moved to Canada many years ago. They started with pickup campers, expanded to trailers, and eventually to class C and super C motorhomes. In 2008 the company went bankrupt and all remaining assets were sold at a bankruptcy auction to various buyers. Months or maybe a year or two later a group of former Bigfoot employees formed the new "Bigfoot" and attempted to repurchase various assets such as molds from the bankruptcy buyers. They were able to retrieve some of the assets and formed the current "Bigfoot".
Although they have no legal connection with the original Bigfoot, the owners and managers have been extremely attentive and supportive of owners of original Bigfoot company products. I own a motorhome and so have not always followed trailer issues closely but trailer owners indicate there has been only very gradual evolutionary changes between 2008 and earlier units and those made by the new company. The new company has never made motorhomes and says they will not do so in the future but has been extremely helpful with many motorhome issues.
There is a Bigfoot owners club website you might look at if you are interested in a Bigfoot.
bob in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #96

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Grant Bilodeau, President of Bigfoot Industries, was interviewed for the article in Truck Camper in 2017.

It's a great read.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:54 PM   #97

Ohio
Firm delivery date. Next week I pickup the new 25RQ. Ordered the 20th October 2021. About 14 months to the day.

Also that article in truck camper is indeed enlightening, the emphasis on quality is reassuring. I'll give a full report on my impressions.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #98

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Firm delivery date. Next week I pickup the new 25RQ. Ordered the 20th October 2021. About 14 months to the day.

Also that article in truck camper is indeed enlightening, the emphasis on quality is reassuring. I'll give a full report on my impressions.
Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your new Bigfoot.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Grant, it would be interesting to hear what he thinks about Escape, Oliver, and the other MFG trailers.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #99

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your new Bigfoot.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Grant, it would be interesting to hear what he thinks about Escape, Oliver, and the other MFG trailers.
Will do
Old 12-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #100

Name: Evans
Trailer: Currently awaiting Bigfoot 25B25RT
Texas
25RT aprox. Jan 15th, 2023. I ordered June 27 2021, 6 interest rate hikes and one 6k price increase back in April. What a ride for almost 19 months. You've got to really want one right now....
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot