Why are used Scamp 13's more $$$ than Scamp 16's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Why are used Scamp 13's more $$$ than Scamp 16's

I'm just curious, why are used Scamp 13's more expensive than used Scamp 16's? Is it just supply and demand? I see more 13's on the the used marketplace than 16's, which are rare these days. Any thoughts?
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Supply and demand, yes.

My personal observation is that late model used 16'ers command a higher price than late model used 13'ers, but as you move into older and vintage units, the differential decreases and eventually favors the 13'ers. The smaller ones seem to be in greater demand as restoration projects. Kinda makes sense. A smaller, simpler trailer makes a more manageable project, and there's a "cute" factor as well.

There's a similar pattern in used Airstreams and vintage stick-and-tin trailers.

Scamp has consistently sold more 13'ers than 16'ers over the years, and not by a small margin, maybe like 2:1. The pandemic may have given the 13'ers an added boost as people pivot to RV travel and want to use smaller vehicles they already own, avoiding the seriously out-of-whack vehicle market.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Supply and demand, yes.

My personal observation is that late model used 16'ers command a higher price than late model used 13'ers, but as you move into older and vintage units, the differential decreases and eventually favors the 13'ers. Scamp consistently sold more 13'ers than 16'ers over the years, and not by a small margin, maybe like 2:1.
Part of being lighter is not having brakes, they were an option on 13s but always on the 16 foot. Controller on the tow vehicle is yet another cost.'
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp market

Towing capability, storage and cost are the demand factors for Scamps. Most people do not want to invest in a new tow vehicle while buying a trailer.

S-13: Almost anyone can tow a S-13 and usually it's the most inexpensive trailer. Scamp is the major supplier of 13 ft trailers and it's a great starter trailer.
It is also the easiest trailer to deal with and store.

S-16: You need either a SUV or truck to tow, usually a 3500 lb. tow rated vehicle. You also have more competition from other manufactures in this market size range.

S-19: The buyer needs to have a lower rail height pick up to use for towing. In years past the hitch was a permeant fixture in the bed of your truck. It is also the most expensive Scamp. Since taller it is more difficult to find inside storage.

This has been my experience dealing with Scamps.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: boler 1978
British Columbia
The 13 foot scamp is almost a boler. Not quite but close and thus worth way more.

kip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 2011 13 ft.& 2013 16 ft
North Carolina
I’ve had both. Both of them had bathrooms and fully equipped. Both hold there value well. The 16 is much more enjoyable to Camp in.
Steveg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #7

Name: Amy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveg. View Post
I’ve had both. Both of them had bathrooms and fully equipped. Both hold there value well. The 16 is much more enjoyable to Camp in.
I can see why you say that but my 13' Deluxe has the bigger bed and more cupboards - same bathroom and I find it much more cozy. I don't need a step to get in as the 13' is a bit lower. The 2005 has a bit of a lower ceiling so I almost could not buy it for height reasons but I just stopped wearing my hair in a top pony tail. Ha. My 16' had the giant closet and I did love how the stove was on one side and the sink on the other so lots of counter space. I really love to cook in the Scamp and winter camp. The ceiling was a bit higher.

Which model is your favorite on the 16'?
amyjmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #8

Name: Matthew
Trailer: shopping
North Carolina
In addition to the other comments, I have a 13 and it is lighter and easier to pull with smaller vehicles. The 16 starts to be a lite too much to pull. Bigger us not always better

Matt
Sescilm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp