Why did they put a front window on a 5er? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Why did they put a front window on a 5er?

I would think most people would prefer something less than a picture window in their bedroom.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E. November View Post
I would think most people would prefer something less than a picture window in their bedroom.
Hi: Earl E November... I'm sure glad Escape didn't add one!!! The two side windows are fine and the new vent over the bed sounds nice...think moon roof. Trouble with morning light is I'm up too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
first morning view.jpg   phphMftXvPM.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If it was a window that opens, it could make nice ventilation for sleeping.

I agree if it's just a big picture, there's no point...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Scamp doesn't any more,in fact they even changed the mold in such a way that it's no longer even an option.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp doesn't any more,in fact they even changed the mold in such a way that it's no longer even an option.
Hummm. I saw a 2011 Scamp Deluxe 5er last year and the nose was exactly the same as prior years. So Floyd are you sure they've changed the mold? Even if it was curved, we know someone COULD put in a solid piece of plexi... it was done for years on the rears.

BUT, back to the original question. Scamp prefers to NOT do it anymore and really discourages it. That front window turned out to be a major source of leaking. Folks had to stand in the bed of their trucks to remove the gravel guard. That's such a PITA most just don't do it, the window gets filthy and you get to see that gunk from the inside of the trailer. Few put curtains over the front window too. Bad idea from the start.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #6

Nebraska
I never really thought about it till I bought one. ('96 Deluxe) With side windows and a roof vent there is plenty of light and ventilation.

I'll bet the gravel guard has not been off since it was owned, other than to clean the litter and accumulated critters that like to migrate in behind them.

Alf,, you definitely have the "dream RV" very nice.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm. I saw a 2011 Scamp Deluxe 5er last year and the nose was exactly the same as prior years. So Floyd are you sure they've changed the mold? Even if it was curved, we know someone COULD put in a solid piece of plexi... it was done for years on the rears.

BUT, back to the original question. Scamp prefers to NOT do it anymore and really discourages it. That front window turned out to be a major source of leaking. Folks had to stand in the bed of their trucks to remove the gravel guard. That's such a PITA most just don't do it, the window gets filthy and you get to see that gunk from the inside of the trailer. Few put curtains over the front window too. Bad idea from the start.
Take another look, the boss is gone for the front window. Of course Scamp titles their trailers on delivery, not when they start construction.
I'm not sure the exact date of the mold change, but Scamp may not be either!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The pictures on the Scamp website don't show the nose section of the trailer, but I see on the spec sheet the gravel guard is still an option: Scamp Travel Trailers: 19 Foot 5th Wheel Options

On Edit: I borrowed this from Facebook. Floyd is 100% correct, the boss is gone. Now completely smooth nose. Must have happened in the last year...
Attached Thumbnails
FiverNose.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Maybe some people feel like they have to be able to look out at their pickup in the middle of the night, to ensure that the noise they just heard is not someone breaking into it. Or maybe it's a claustrophobia abatement device. Just guessing!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The pictures on the Scamp website don't show the nose section of the trailer, but I see on the spec sheet the gravel guard is still an option: Scamp Travel Trailers: 19 Foot 5th Wheel Options

On Edit: I borrowed this from Facebook. Floyd is 100% correct, the boss is gone. Now completely smooth nose. Must have happened in the last year...
You should see the new brochures, they are still using interior photos with long obsolete fabric patterns.They still show the Catalina awning, and the drawings still show the front window on the fiver. Hard to keep up between the printer and the changes!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Nebraska
Just a thought here.. The cabin of the 5'er looks essentially to be a slightly modified 16'.

Is the overhang made from a modified mold or the upper half of the 13'?

That may explain why they put the window in??

In other words is the 5'er made of modified old molds of the 13 and 16.. I think possibly.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Just a thought here.. The cabin of the 5'er looks essentially to be a slightly modified 16'.

Is the overhang made from a modified mold or the upper half of the 13'?

That may explain why they put the window in??

In other words is the 5'er made of modified old molds of the 13 and 16.. I think possibly.
I still think they should make a 5er based on the 13. I'd love to see a 16ft fiver front bath!!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #13

Nebraska
Actually after stepping up from a 13 to a 19, the main cabin is definitely larger than a 13' (13' is actually only 10' inside).It's in storage right now or I would measure it.

My 5'er is a front bath deluxe.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Actually after stepping up from a 13 to a 19, the main cabin is definitely larger than a 13' (13' is actually only 10' inside).It's in storage right now or I would measure it.

My 5'er is a front bath deluxe.
It's definitely larger than a 13' cause it's based on a 16' and it's 3' "too" long.
I have a 13' front bath deluxe and I think one like it would make a nice base to build a 16 ft. 5er in addition to the present 19ft offering.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

Nebraska
ok I am with you.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Maybe some people feel like they have to be able to look out at their pickup in the middle of the night, to ensure that the noise they just heard is not someone breaking into it.
That's it for us. We like to be able to see all four directions in case we hear something interesting going on. We were thinking more along the lines of spotting four legged wild life.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
the front window model is the anthony weiner autograph model.

lol ...sorry,,,had to go there didn't i....(head hung in shame)
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #18

Michigan
seriously though,,,aside from any leaks that develope,,get some "limo tint" window film. will keep heat,,and prying eyes out.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #19

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
We have the very first 5er with no window up front it was built in nov 1995 as we told them we didn't want it. since then more were ordered and some returned to remove the window. removing the flat spot for the window was the only modification on the new mold after the fire
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0226.jpg  
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I still think they should make a 5er based on the 13. I'd love to see a 16ft fiver front bath!!
actually that sir,,,is a fine idea. i consider the 13 perfect, the only improvement one could make being a permenent bed such as the 5th has.
but that would limit it to being towed only with a truck so....?