Why did you buy or sell your Fiberglass RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Did the purchase meet your expectations?: yes, I expected little, and that's what we got.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What did we buy: 2011 Scamp 13', new. Drove from San Francisco to Backus and back to pick it up. Great trip.

Why did you buy?: As young adults we were avid backpackers and car/tent campers. As age progressed we wanted something more comfortable that allowed us the nimbleness of camping "small". We really cannot bear staying in RV mobile home resorts where you are staying in a parking lot and never see your neighbors as they are inside watching TV!

Were you the first owner?: yes.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: Absolutely! We bought in our 60s hoping to camp for 20 more years. We bought new so we could choose options and not have to re-build a run-down trailer. We wanted to spend more time camping and less time tinkering. The trailer has few "upgrades" as it has an icebox, not a refrigerator, a porta pottie and not a toilet/shower, and a simple heater. Our philosophy is "the simpler the better" as it is easier to maintain and remains closer to the camping experience. We have totaled about 25,000 miles in 7 years and look forward to many more. We have to store the trailer one hour from our home as we have no space to store it at home on a tiny cul-de-sac. That makes it a little more difficult to maintain. We have to tow the trailer to a do-it-yourself car-wash in order to wash it. At our ages we don't like getting on a wet ladder to wash the roof and would gladly pay someone to do so, if we could find someone.

If you sold, what caused the sale?:
I think we'll only sell if we can no longer easily handle the physical aspects of towing, removing the battery between trips, maintenance. I might consider selling if we went up to a bit longer trailer and a bit better construction from another company.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
What did we buy?: 13' Burro

Why did you buy?: We decided to volunteer on Pine Ridge Reservation for a week before visiting Yellowstone. The closer it got, the more worried I became about sleeping arrangements on the Rez, as the website of the organization was not very complete at the time (Re-Member). As it turned out, their sleeping arrangements were just fine and we did not camp until we got to Yellowstone. Life-changing trip both in volunteering (We do it as much as we can and our bodies will take now for a week a year.) and camping. Bluntly, I never camped before (and still don't. My favorite use of the camper is a place to sleep as we visit a historical area.)

We were the first owners?: No

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: Yes/No. We loved the Burro, but after a year, I got 3-foot-itis and kept looking at the longer Burro. When the Uhaul VT came on ebay with a buy-it-now and tax return money in hand, we bought it 10 minutes after seeing it.

What did we buy?:Uhaul VT

Why did you buy?: Loved the Burro lines but id not like the limited space and constantly making and unmaking the bed. This added space and kept the Burro look, and we could leave the bed set up with a front dinette.

We were the first owners?: no

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: Yes. We had it for years. However, as retirement approached, I was on the lookout for something larger that we would be comfortable spending winter months in. Meanwhile, while we loved our Eurovan tow, 2 things happened to make me want something easier to repair: we broke down in Hatfield-McCoy country of WV where repair was a challenge (That is a tale in and of itself!) and we found ourselves doing the same expensive repair to the second Eurovan 2 years in a row (VW folks screwed up the repair the first time.). We found a used Ford Expedition with the top-of-the line tow package.

What did we buy?: Bigfoot Silver Cloud

Why did you buy?: It ticked every box and was a great deal! It is filled with beautiful oak and actually has 4 rooms and a bathtub. And now we had a tow vehicle that could pull it. And it is still molded fiberglass.

We were the first owners?: no

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: Yes. I retire in a year or two and then we are going to use it for snowbirding. And no, we are not selling .

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
burro.jpg   uhaul_at_uhaul.jpg  

Bigfoot in Monticello.jpg  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Reasons?

Our story is different from most others, as everyone's probably is.

After years of tent camping, after the kids were on their own:
Our first FB trailer was a third hand 13 ft Scamp DLX.
We modified the bed/dinette to half and half, so had a smaller table for us two.
Still, it became a pain to always put the table up and down.
Traded that one in on a 2000 Scamp, 16 Dlx/SD (Side Dinette) The bed stayed up all the time. We made many modifications to it along the way. After 16 years, we sold it. Just because we had seen a new Parkliner, and liked the queen size bed, 6'6" headroom and wider body. It too has problems, some of which we fixed, others we just have to live with.
Molded Fiberglass is much preferred over a "sticky" It can go anywhere. and only cuts our gas mileage by about 20%
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Seen this before. What is a FB trailer?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Currently on the road, responding by phone which is difficult.

Bought new 2013 Casita 17’ SD loaded. Took it to Little House for additional mods. Did even more mods myself.

Expect to sell next year. Too small. Need to seat at least 4 adults at table.

May get Airstream 25’ or 28’. Or class c prob not class a but wife likes the class a. I like the Oliver but she says too similar to Casita in size.

We like to go into remote areas, so Casita fits that very nicely.

Darn it, talking myself back into Casita. Maybe won’t sell.

Ha, what a hoot! Recently sold my Casita to go to a Bigfoot because the BF is bigger and can more easily accommodate my gear for longer trips. When I remembered that I really prefer boondocking in less populated, more rugged camping spots (i.e.: no neighbors, dirt back roads), I started to go into "Campioid Arrest" fearing I'd be stuck outside my natural habitat.

The solution of course is to have BOTH!
I'm working on that!
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #27

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am a little surprised that no one has yet to Flip them like I have to get into the one that seems to be a Keeper!

I first got a cheap 13' Trillium,fixed it up and flipped into a 14.5' Trillium.
Did the same thing into the Scamp 16',Casita SD 17' and now into a 17' Freedom with the layout I really do prefer.

Along the way I have also adopted a Fiberstream but not had the time to bring it back to life and I have also explored turning Cargo Trailers into Stealth RVs too!

So each has easily met my expectations of being a stepping stone into a nicer and usually newer rig and now I think I would have to try a fifth wheel or 17' Bigfoot to really move up or just Sideways even and if the right one crosses my path I imagine it will happen!

Right now I am in my driveway in the Casita as my basement flooded and the house is uninhabitable and until I get that sorted out I am pretty glad that I have a tiny home on wheels waiting for my attention and use.

And of course I never would have met you crazies if not for the FG either!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
First was a 1958 Chevy 3/4 ton panel truck in the 60s I made into a "camper" and lived in for a year while in college.

20 years later it was a giant custom pickup camper I had custom made for winter camping with a heated basement to keep the tanks from freezing on my ski trips around the Western USA; had that sticky for 20 years - sold it when the first wife passed after 38 years.

Went to an RV show with new wifey, didn't see anything we wanted BUT we found a Casita in the parking lot. Got a tour, spent a year looking for a used 17LD, and had it for 5 years.

Wifey joined me in retirement; decided on a month long trip we needed to upsize to bring our 3 small dogs along. Now a 2014 Escape 21 bought new - not selling this one. May convert it into a very large casket when the time comes.............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
  • Why did you buy?

wanted more comfort than tenting, hot water showers, our own bathroom
  • Were you the first owner?

no, bought a 2nd or 3rd hand Casita SD16, then bought a 2nd hand Escape 21
  • Did the purchase meet your expectations?

yes, we got 2 years of smiles out of the Casita but realized it was too small. First time my wife saw the insides of an Escape 21 (at the King City rally) she was hooked.
  • If you sold, what caused the sale?

well, we haven't sold the Casita yet, but its going to be on th emarket real soon, after we finish some minor maintenance. We're going to sell it because we bought the larger Escape.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #30

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Camped with 3 kids in first a tent trailer then a 13 ft sticky.

In retirement wanted to travel more and snowbird so found FGRV and bought used Escape 5.0 single axle we loved and enjoyed rallies.

This year sold after four years for almost what we paid to buy hardly used 5.0 tandem axle and love the extra space. Have used it 46 nights since May and leaving next week for 33 days.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 16' Scamp; tow vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape V6
Michigan
Bought a 13 foot Scamp in 2015, new from the factory, as an upgrade from a backpacking tent. Love the trailer, but on a recent 2 month long trip we decided we want more room, so we're selling the 13 footer and have a 16 foot Scamp on order. We have the 13 footer listed in the Classified section here.
Keweenaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I bought an Escape 17B that met all my expirations, towed it almost 100,000 miles over 6 years, then replaced it with an Escape 21. I decided I wanted a larger refrigerator, an oven, a full time bed, a full time 4 person dinette, and a built in microwave. I enjoyed both trailers and am currently traveling in the 21.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #33

Name: Jimmie
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2001
California
HI, our first fiberglass was a 16 ft. scamp that was very basic..no bathroom, heat, or air conditioning. We enjoyed it very much but selected to sell after a few of our birthdays had passed and decided that we need a few more options on a trailer to continue our trips and be comfortable. We recently purchased a 2014 Escape that is 19 ft. and has the missing options that were not on the scamp. We are planning to take longer trips and now have the options of going in more varied climates and seasons with the heater and air conditioner...and we love having the solar that came built into our Escape. We like the light weight fiberglass!
Jimmie Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #34

Name: Donnie
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Hi,

Neither wife nor I had any previous RV experience, I do have a family member who has had numerous issues with Class A and B RV's. His experience with RV's was such that I that I was very leery of all RV's in general.
We like to travel without a set schedule or itinerary as much as possible so we thought a smaller RV might make sense for us.

When we began our search I had three main requirements.
1. A good reputation from other owners.
2. Easy to to tow with a my 1/2 ton pickup.
3. Have a decent resale value if we didn't like the RV lifestyle.

Online research led me to this forum and several other FG related forums.
I was able to find a lightly used 1 yr old 17' Casita LD very close by to look at and after looking it over we made the purchase. That was nearly 2 years ago and the Casita has been trouble free thus far.
kajuncouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #35

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Glenn:

"Seen this before. What is a FB trailer?--Glenn Baglo"

It is a FiBerglass trailer. You know, the alternative fact kind, the other FiberGlass ones.

Best
K
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #36

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We got our 1999 Scamp 19’ in 2003 after looking for a self contained trailer with a full time bed. We used it until this year when we sold it and bought our 19’ Airstream. It meets the same criteria, can be pulled by a mid sized truck, and uses no wood in the side wall and roof construction.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I bought my FG trailer new because I'm an avid camper and didn't want something already worn out. I wanted FG because I was tired of the hail damage.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #38

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Escape
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post
I follow this forum and I see a number of folks that buy a Casita, Boler, or Scamp (and others) and turn around and sell within a short time? Maybe 2 to 3 years or less.

Why did you buy?

Were you the first owner?

Did the purchase meet your expectations?

If you sold, what caused the sale?

Lack of use?
Age?
Health?
Too much work?
Family growing larger?
Not as much fun as you thought it would be?
Etc.?

If you sold and are still here I would like your thoughts. It will help me with my decision to buy.
I had a new Casita and a year later sold it. I discovered I wanted something bigger and saw an 21 foot Escape.

I didn't know until I tried it. I didn't like crawling over my husband to get in and out of bed. I didn't like bumping my head on the bathroom door frame. I liked being able to have choices of colors in the Escape and for my husband and I to cook side by side.
Nancy
Camper Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #39

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post
I follow this forum and I see a number of folks that buy a Casita, Boler, or Scamp (and others) and turn around and sell within a short time? Maybe 2 to 3 years or less.

Why did you buy?
The old aluminum stickie I had been given rotted out and collapsed on one corner.
Were you the first owner?
No, either the 4th or 5th.
Did the purchase meet your expectations?
Yep!
If you sold, what caused the sale?
Not even thinking about selling.
Lack of use? Not as much as I’d like.
Age? It’s 35, I’m 69.
Health? I’m 69... how good can it be?
Too much work? I’m very successful at ignoring work needing to be done... good thing Fiberglas is so durable!
Family growing larger? Bachelor
Not as much fun as you thought it would be? Still fun for me!
Etc.?

If you sold and are still here I would like your thoughts. It will help me with my decision to buy.
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Happy Scamp Owners

The previous owners of our 2005 Scamp 16 (side dinette with shower) had it only a couple of years before we bought it. His wife thought that camping in it would be like staying in a motel ( it's not :-) ). He had to pay to park it at the apartment complex they lived in, so that was also an issue. It is perfect for us, much better than the pop up camper that we had before and we dry camp most of the time and like to use Walmart's on the way to and from. "We are Happy Campers"
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote