Why do you go camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
For me, it is the dogs...they make staying in motels harder, for one thing.

Second, we can stay on site at some agility trials and that greatly reduces stress on the dogs. (And therefore on me.)

I like to relax and have a warm, comfy place to do it. A tent is not as comfortable and I can't relax as much in a motel because of said dogs (worrying about them barking, etc, and usually leaving one or two in the car.) A trailer is just so cozy and nice to relax in.

I'm not that much of a camper- I like hiking and doing things, but not sitting around at camp, so for me, I'll either go to a gathering that has other people, to an agility trial, or on a road trip, but I'll rarely if ever go camp by myself for no other reason. I'm weird in that I do not like campfires- I learned to love campfire-less backpacking because you end up cleaner and not smelling of smoke, and never went back to liking campfires. (I do like roasting marshmallows, though.)

My plan when I retire is to take a cross-country trip with the trailer. For one, it will force me to slow down and see more of the country than if I were just driving at top speeds, and it will mean I can take the dogs.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Yeah, Ron - in this case a picture IS worth a thousand words! L 'n D
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
We are more "Travelers" than we are "Campers". We seldom go anyplace to "Camp".

We're usually traveling across the country to a 'destination' that has nothing to do with "Camping".
But we take the Casita, because it's our portable living quarters. We don't have the hassle of trying to find a motel that will allow our Chihuahuas. We have a heated (or cooled) place to leave them when we can't take them where we go. We get to sleep in our own bed, use our own bath and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We don't care for Motels anyway.

*Bluegrass festival in Texas, Stay on the grounds. No running back and forth to a motel or restaurant.
*A week in Gatlinburg, TN. The Smoky Mountains, ..shows, shopping etc.
*My sister's house in Moab, UT. She doesn't have a spare bedroom, ... we bring our own.
*My Brother's house in Indianapolis. No spare bedroom, ..... we park in the drive.
*My job used to take me to Ohio for weeks at a time, ... took the Wife and the pups.

Many, many travels where the Casita makes it convenient and less expensive.

But then,...... there's always camping near the beach in Florida, ...... and Frisco. Colorado....and ...........!

We just really like having our little portable Motel.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We, too, tend to think of ourselves more as travellers than campers. The wonderful thing about our trailer is it has taken us places that we would never have visited otherwise. We've taken trips to Whitehorse and Dawson City, Yukon, Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Denali, Alaska, and drove all the way to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Our next wish is to go down the Oregon coast and across Canada from West to East.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
For me, it's the people. We have met some great people camping, unremarkable perhaps, but far from ordinary and the vast majority of them we wouldn't have met any other way. It teaches us about our country, and the big country next to us, is a way you can't get from a book or a newspaper. We live in a vacation Mecca for people from all over the world, so not leaving is no hardship, but we go camping as much because of who we meet as what we see.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Our life runs 90 mph.
Our life camping runs 10 mph.
We enjoy the slower drive
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
We live in a wonderful mountain community and for 24 years never felt the need to actually take a vacation away from home. Once our children were away from home and married and we'd both retired the open road beckoned. I retired a couple years before Ann and spent a good deal of that time researching fiberglass TT's. Found a suitable one close by, and spent a year making it suit our desires.
We've found we really enjoy being somewhere other than home. Whether it's overnight or 6 weeks on the road. Within 15 or 2000 miles from home. We enjoy the company at rallies, new friends at different campgrounds, & Bluegrass music at the Huck Finn Jubilee in Victorville, Calif. over Father's Day week-end. The 4th of July in Bishop, Calif. or in Missoula, Mont. Spring in the Texas Hill-country or on the Olympic peninsula in Washington. Spending a week exploring Port Townsend- Port Angeles- Poulsbo- Steilacoom with my sister and brother-in-law. Visiting family on the farm surrounded by the rolling green wheat fields of South Eastern Washington.
Sharing the scenery and experiences together and making unforgettable memories..., and coming home to share them again with friends and loved ones.
And sharing a few memories here..., that's why we go camping

Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I actually bought the camper for the dogs (and me). I wanted a place with heat and air conditioning for them besides the car if I was out and about. Motels are a worry when traveling with dogs, (potty outside, and barking). Not so with a camper. I don't go much because I want to be with others, and most of my friends do not camp. Campfires are a must and motels do not have those. I do find the camper great for dog shows, family reunions, etc.
Once retired, I hope to get brave enough to do some solo camping. I want to travel and see the country from coast to coast.
For now I go close to home with the doggies.
Sitting by the lake with a campfire burning is my idea of camping.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #29

Trailer: Danzer (Cargo Trailer converted to camper)
As a historian I explore the Pennsylvania Turnpike for its historic background. The South Pennsylvania Railroad remains. I don't like spending money as I really don't have it and I camp for free at the old Cove Plaza near Hustontown Pa. on the old section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Here is where my base camp is when I want to explore the valleys in central Pa. I usually try to do something with more then one purpose. So when we explore, we also camp. The organization which owns the 13.5 miles of abandoned right of way was trying to get funds for improvements and wasn't able to get me to ask for the use of my material which helped them secure the funds and when they did get me wanted to return the favor for the use of my research. I told them all I wanted was a camping spot to do more research. So for the past two years i camp for free.

You will notice I don't have a fiberglass but the size is the same or just under the smallest trailer. I like small spaces to sleep or even live in. All the comforts I need and the price was right.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #30

Trailer: Lander
Send a message via MSN to Riccardo
We go camping, because are sure a better way to enjoi the freedom in the wilderness doesn't exist!
Riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote