Why get a fiberglass RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
They age well. Better than me anyway.
Truth.

Barring mishap, mine will outlast me. My younger daughter already has dibs on it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I really relate to Rogerdat's "Better than me" comment. And Jon, my kids are still fighting over who gets the Escape.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #23

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Very few "new model" bugs since they don't come out with a new and redesigned model each year. Instead they do small things such as add solar connector or LED lights.

(snip)
I can also enjoy the folks who comment that they didn't know they still made those campers. I let them know they are still being made by same company, however this one is a 1977. They age well. Better than me anyway.

And with that being said, you can go to one of those places that don't want rigs more than 10 years old. Just tell 'em it's current and they'll never know.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #24

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
The Coolness factor!
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
And the people at the gas station saying "what a cute little camper, can I see inside?"
Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #26

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
It's true that the fiberglass itself has fewer seams but don't forget the multiple openings in the shells for vents, fridge, windows, etc. The are all prone to leaks and, all to often, do leak. Just check out all the posts about repairs on Bigfoot trailers due to leaks.
I see you've only been here since last July. Bigfoot has no more leaks than any other camper. Don't know the reason for your Bigfoot statement. I suggest you read your first two sentences I quoted.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We’ve owned 3 FG trailers ( Scamp , Casita , 21 ft SO
We like FG trailers but that being said

1) They still leak maybe less but they still leak
2) FG trailers and stick built trailers share the same lousy appliances that seem to fail on a regular basis
3) FG trailer manufacturers cut corners just like the stick built manufacturers
cheap tires , cheap fabrics , cheap hardware , cheap appliances , cheap plumbing fixtures etc etc
4) The build quality of a FG trailer may be better but only slightly . They shove crap out the door just like Forest River
5) Most FG trailers are sold manufacturer direct so basically if something is wrong you haul the trailer back to the factory or fix it yourself . In many cases the warranty is useless
6) The size , floor plans and options offered on a FG are extremely limited
7) FG trailers are expensive when compared on a sg ft basis
8) Most FG trailers have no or very poor insulation and are not designed for temps below freezing . So in our area a FG trailer is basically a one season trailer .
9 ) FG trailers don’t have slide outs , less to go wrong but they make you feel like you living in a long narrow hallway

I’ve had more problems with quality , leaks , appliances failing , plumbing , wiring , lighting , structure with my 21 ft FG trailer than many of our friends have encountered with their stick built Forest River trailers
FG trailers are a fine option but they’re just not as perfect as some wish to portray.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #28

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
My rather pointed (at me) comment is that after one corner of a hand-me-down stickie I used to have literally collapsed, the decision was immediate that I would get a FGRV. When I got home from camping that evening I went right on the sale sites and arranged to buy my egg immediately!

I like the fact that my Burro thrives on neglect and abuse. It may not be the prettiest example out there, but it goes down the road and gives me a reasonably secure shelter when I get to my destination. Unless the fiberglass shell gets cracked like Humpty Dumpty, everything else is repairable (or can be neglected. )

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #29

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We’ve owned 3 FG trailers ( Scamp , Casita , 21 ft SO
We like FG trailers but that being said

1) They still leak maybe less but they still leak
2) FG trailers and stick built trailers share the same lousy appliances that seem to fail on a regular basis
3) FG trailer manufacturers cut corners just like the stick built manufacturers
cheap tires , cheap fabrics , cheap hardware , cheap appliances , cheap plumbing fixtures etc etc
4) The build quality of a FG trailer may be better but only slightly . They shove crap out the door just like Forest River
5) Most FG trailers are sold manufacturer direct so basically if something is wrong you haul the trailer back to the factory or fix it yourself . In many cases the warranty is useless
6) The size , floor plans and options offered on a FG are extremely limited
7) FG trailers are expensive when compared on a sg ft basis
8) Most FG trailers have no or very poor insulation and are not designed for temps below freezing . So in our area a FG trailer is basically a one season trailer .
9 ) FG trailers don’t have slide outs , less to go wrong but they make you feel like you living in a long narrow hallway

I’ve had more problems with quality , leaks , appliances failing , plumbing , wiring , lighting , structure with my 21 ft FG trailer than many of our friends have encountered with their stick built Forest River trailers
FG trailers are a fine option but they’re just not as perfect as some wish to portray.

A little harsh maybe?
Suggest you take a look at the "Armadillo" FGRV you may change your mind. They are doing a very good job. imho.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #30

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I see you've only been here since last July. Bigfoot has no more leaks than any other camper. Don't know the reason for your Bigfoot statement. I suggest you read your first two sentences I quoted.

Enjoy,

Perry
AND: On any forum (trailer, car, computer, etc.) there maybe a ton of threads about repairs, but people who don't have repair issues don't start a "how do I fix my..." thread.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #31

Name: Willow
Trailer: SCAMP 13 deluxe 2002
California
Reliable and Cute

We love our “newer to us” 2002 13’ Scamp deluxe. Always receive positive comments, and we have found that campground kids are especially intrigued (perhaps b/c it seems kid sized?). My fave campground kid moment was when one 8yr old boy rode up on his bike and complimented the Scamp, and when we said he could go in and check it out we heard him say aloud “Goodness, it’s really cute! How does the toilet actually work?” LOL!!!
It has been a comfy, well built, reliable and to date easy maintenance camper. Tows like a feather w/ 6 cyl even though deluxe model is weighing in at about 1500#. Holds value!!!
ScamperWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #32

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
All of the above--especially the lightweight, better floor layout choices and easy to customize and they are ADORABLE (or handsome if you prefer) and sturdy as well!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:47 AM   #33

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole M View Post
Hello, I'm going to be writing a blog post on why a fiberglass RV might be desirable. So, in other words, what makes it better than other trailers? I know what things I like, but, what are your favorite things about your fiberglass trailer? Weight, design, etc? Thanks for your input!

In fiberglass panel travel trailers and RV's the siding material is made from a very thin layer of fiberglass is glued (apparently with water soluble glue) to a thin layer of Luan plywood which is glued to a thin layer of foam board. This is not nearly as strong as a solid fiberglass molded trailer. Also it has a tendency to delaminate (the layers coming apart). This is a catastrophic failure of a structural wall. It is very costly to fix. It is just one of the reasons that many fiberglass panel trailers lose 50 to 70% of their value within the first eight or nine years.

Visit any RV dealer in walk around look at the used fiberglass panel trailers, paying close attention to the laminate near the window openings hatch openings roof seams etc. I guarantee you will see many trailers with puffy spots where the fiberglass has separated from the plywood.

Molded fiberglass trailers do not lose their value so precipitously, in fact many of them holding their value well into their 20 year mark. Some older antique trailer sell for more than they originally sold for.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #34

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I wanted a boler cause they're COOL!!!
Was wanting one to tow behind my hotrod.
Camping in it wasn't really on my mind at first.
We took it to a major show and stayed in a campsite not far away to save a few dollars and were hooked!
It's been across Canada, up and down the west coast several times
and a constant source of projects.
Fred
[url[/url]
Would that picture happen to be above Osoyoos?
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote