Why is there no combo TV/bluray ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Why is there no combo TV/bluray ?

Why is there no small combo TV/blu-ray players although there are combo TV/DVD players?

I know that due to the screen size of a small TV there is no discernible visual benefit with the higher definition Blu-ray Discs.

The benefit is.... You can watch your already owned Blu-ray Discs on it. So for example, if I own good movies/series on blu-ray for viewing on my large screen HDTV at home, I can't take those same discs camping with me unless I purchase and hook up a separate blu-ray player.

Grrrr
Tap
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we were looking for a TV/DVD for our trailer ,we had a hard time finding any .Visio does not make any combo TV/DVD. Our two choices were a cheap 19" or a 24" . The other issue was speaker location .Most small TV's have the sound coming out of the back .Since our TV hangs from an upper cabinet above the bed the sound is directed at the wall and at the window. I can hear the TV better standing outside by the window then in the trailer. According to Visio , DVD's are headed in the same direction as 8 track tapes and CD's
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've no answer for you unless the whole blueray reading apparatus can't be made reliably robust for travel. Which doesn't make sense since they make standalone blurays. I've looked for a combo unit as well. Ones I have found seem to have been discontinued. I wanted one for the same reason you mention: already purchased movies. I carry a separate modest bluray player but I'd like to be able to ditch that bit of clutter.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
No answer either. We take a PS3 with us. If the battery pack with a 700W inverter is plugged into a lighter socket, it will run the PS3 for about 4 hrs.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
The benefit is.... You can watch your already owned Blu-ray Discs on it. So for example, if I own good movies/series on blu-ray for viewing on my large screen HDTV at home, I can't take those same discs camping with me unless I purchase and hook up a separate blu-ray player.

Grrrr

Tap

So buy a separate Blu-Ray player that is WiFi compatible which can stream all sorts of stuff if WiFi is available and further increase your viewing options. From what I've seen at Best Buy/Target most of today's Blu-Ray players are very small and weigh little and you have the added advantage of not having to throw away a functioning disc player if the TV component goes bad, or a functioning TV if the disc playing component goes bad. That is the main drawback of combination units.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I was at a local Flea Market yesterday and the going price for used DVD's is $1. One tent seemed to have about 500+ available. For that money I wouldn't worry about not being able to see a Blue-Ray version of a film I have already seen.
TV/DVD player combos are getting rare and usually only found in the cheaper units anyway, although I did find a 22" combo about two years ago that ran on 12 VDC that I installed in a hybrid I was associated with at the time.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The simple answer is that there is no market for a combo TV/Blueray.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Carl I have yet to ever see a campground WiFi signal robust enough to stream HD video. It may exist in a few places but most of the signals we have encountered are entry level DSL @ 1.5 mbs ± (if you're lucky) and one need at least 12 mbs for services like Vudu which is by far the best online streaming service IMHO. LTE can provide these speeds if you are in the right place but your Cellular Data bill will be significant.

Its not likely we will use our TV and player in our Oliver much but on the rare occasions we might during bad weather I do agree with the OP. Why is it that entertainment systems are so far behind the curve of this technology. I can see the difference even on a small screen between 1080p and what ever is downwind from that. But the only two shows in town that produce 12 V systems are Furion and Jensen to the best of my knowledge. Given the amount of RV's on the road one would think they might want to address this instead of being so last century.

Ron Merritt installed a blu ray player in one of his overhead storage compartments and this is about the best one can do for now I suppose, but even this has to run on 110AC.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #9

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Naxa also makes small (13" to 22") LED TVs with a built in media player (DVD, memory stick port) in what they call their "car package" with 12V DC adaptor. More accurately, the unit runs on 12V DC power and comes with both a typical 12V car power jack and a 120V AC adaptor for home use. But alas, no Blu-ray models. We enjoy ours - until the air conditioner kicks on, and the TV's week audio gets mostly drowned out by the low drone of the A/C. Their is a built-in headphone jack, but at that point, we usually just turn it off and read. I've toyed with the idea (challenge) of adding a powered speaker system for it, but that's just more space and power demand for no more than we watch TV while camping - which is most often just to check local weather forecasts - which we can do with a weather radio. Anyway, if you're looking for a 12V TV, check Naxa, too. One more thing, our 16" Naxa has a fairly wide side-to-side angle of view, but somewhat limited top-to-bottom angle of view, so it's helpful to have a mount that tilts conveniently to accommodate viewing while standing, sitting or lying in bed.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
No market, or market for Blu-ray players is not saturated to the point of needing to market in that niche market of fully portable.

Never been a fan of combo units for the reasons given earlier. One device fails then both become useless. Plus they rarely are very good examples of either technology. You paid a premium for the combo or got one that was really sub par. The TV/VCR combos where mediocre TV and mediocre VCR same with the DVD player and TV combos. Rather purchase a decent version of the individual components.

I can get and use HULU and Amazon video using a 2.0 connection without problems, will say it is not a fast connection but it is solid.

I just use the laptop for any video watching, do need a pair of headphones or powered speakers. Also have to remember not to watch some of the HBO stuff outside if there are kids around. Lot of that programing is not kid friendly.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Maybe you can get a blu-ray drive installed in a laptop? That would be a very compact all-in-one unit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Maybe you can get a blu-ray drive installed in a laptop? That would be a very compact all-in-one unit.

CD's and DVD's are quickly becoming old school. These days computers are backed up to the Cloud or a portable drive with way more storage capacity than a DVD or CD. Music is mostly played in digital format on an MP3 player so no need to buy a CD or burn your music to one to play it either. Movies can also be downloaded in digital format eliminating the need for a DVD player.

As a result of the above the days of having a cd/dvd drive on a new laptop are coming close to the end. Today many of the majors manufactures don't put them on their new laptops, some have not been for a few years now. I actually had to go out and buy a simple CD/DVD reader to plug into my new laptop so that I could take all my old photos that where backed up on DVD's and transfer them over to a portable drive or two for safe keeping. Was worried that in the not to distant future there may be few easy available ways of getting the photos off the DVD's. Kind of like having to pay someone to get old home moves off a VHF tape a few years after the world changed over to DVD
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
2.0 Data Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
No market, or market for Blu-ray players is not saturated to the point of needing to market in that niche market of fully portable.

Never been a fan of combo units for the reasons given earlier. One device fails then both become useless. Plus they rarely are very good examples of either technology. You paid a premium for the combo or got one that was really sub par. The TV/VCR combos where mediocre TV and mediocre VCR same with the DVD player and TV combos. Rather purchase a decent version of the individual components.

I can get and use HULU and Amazon video using a 2.0 connection without problems, will say it is not a fast connection but it is solid.

I just use the laptop for any video watching, do need a pair of headphones or powered speakers. Also have to remember not to watch some of the HBO stuff outside if there are kids around. Lot of that programing is not kid friendly.
Hi Roger, Michael from Va. I have a question - is your 2.0 connection from your cell phone? If so, what type of data plan do you have? Mine would be prohibitably expensive. Thanks
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We recently purchased a 28" combo TV/DVD player from Best Buy. I was informed by the sales rep that the reason there were only two models to choose from: due to all the streaming video, the DVD market is dropping, with fewer sales. He seemed to think that smart / internet ready TV's were the 'big thing' now.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I may be paranoid, but I feel it's unlikely my computer will be infected with a virus from a DVD/Bluray bought from Best Buy. It's only a matter of time before the freakin cloud and streaming video gets hacked.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote