Why So Many Canadians Here? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
OK, maybe I'm not explaining this properly. My theory is that FG trailer ownership (old or new) is higher among Canadians on a per capita basis.

Do I have any statistics? Are you kidding? This is the internet.
I suspect it might be a little tough to nail that assumption down. Even though Canada is a bigger country we only have about the same population of all of California. Yes we did and still do have some major fiberglass trailer manufactures. Though the years though the biggest producer which has gone by by was of course the Boler. But many of the boler's went south, although some for various reasons did sneak back under the fence during the 70's as a result of draft issues south of us most went south & have stayed south though.

Trilliums started out here as well but they where going toe to toe with Boler so they had an uphill battle getting market share away from Boler - same problem with some of the other small players that came and went quickly in the 70's time frame. Bigfoot was the biggest fiberglass trailer manufacture in the north for the past 30 years & probable still is but a lot of their trailers go south on being hatched & thus the reason they closed for a time when the US market crashed, but back into biz again now.

Something to keep in mind is things are still a little rough up here in the north so pick ups & campers are still the 1st choose for a great many. If you go to any popular fishing or hunting spots you will soon realize that Bigfoot has a strong hold on that market. With a camper they can pull a boat to their fav fishing hole or travel on rough roads to their fav hunting spot. Here in BC for example we have very few Government run parks with any hook ups at all - thats why we call it Super Natural BC So due to lack of power and water you not going to be able to use half of the fancy features that come in a trailer even if you are going to a popular Government park & can get up the road to it.

I dont think Bigfoot over their 30 years has turned out near as many trailers as Casita and Scamp combined though. Of course there is the new kid on the block Escape who is quickly making up for lost time and may have been given a little help with Bigfoot stepping out of the picture for a while. Escapes production may also be leaning a little bit more south than north though these days (thats just a guess on my part) in part due to the p/u camper issue in their own back yard. Sadly when people in these parts think of fiberglass trailers they still tend to think Bigfoot, suspect most still dont even know about the Escape option yet but some of us are doing our best to change that
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... And to think...all this came about in Canada with the design of a septic tank!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... And to think...all this came about in Canada with the design of a septic tank!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
But y'all thought of the doors and windows part...and for that we thank you!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #44

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
So...what's with having Thanksgiving on the wrong day,Francesca
Well lets see, the Canadian Thanksgiving is to give thanks for the end of a good harvest year. Some say it traces back to the 17th century and settlers coming to New France. The US use to celebrate it for the same reason as early Irish, Scottish and Germans immigrants all celebrated a good harvest, but that was before you decided to burn most Canadian's ancestors out of their homes forcing them to flee the US leaving everything even though their families had been living in the US for hundreds of years It was after that the US started putting their own spin on Thanksgiving and adding a Turkey to it and all the interesting Pilgrim story stuff. It was also after that that our former US born ancestors now living in Canada decided to move the date up on Thanksgiving as they wanted to get on with throwing a house warming party at their new homes

Or at least thats how our history classes at schools tell it
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well lets see, the Canadian Thanksgiving is to give thanks for the end of a good harvest year. Some say it traces back to the 17th century and settlers coming to New France. The US use to celebrate it for the same reason as early Irish, Scottish and Germans immigrants all celebrated a good harvest, but that was before you decided to burn most Canadian's ancestors out of their homes forcing them to flee the US leaving everything even though their families had been living in the US for hundreds of years It was after that the US started putting their own spin on Thanksgiving and adding a Turkey to it and all the interesting Pilgrim story stuff. It was also after that that our former US born ancestors now living in Canada decided to move the date up on Thanksgiving as they wanted to get on with throwing a house warming party at their new homes

Or at least thats how our history classes at schools tell it
In other words, we here in the U.S. of A. got it right...right?

Francesca
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I Dount no but we here in ca at least get to digest our thanksgiving dinner before doing all again at Christmas
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
I Dount no but we here in ca at least get to digest our thanksgiving dinner before doing all again at Christmas
yup it also means we dont have deal with a turkey & family hang over when we get up in the wee hours to head across the the border for the Black Friday sales!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post

Too true!

Of course, we Mid-North Americans never stop eating anyway, which probably accounts for our having far surpassed Canadians in the gross-weight-per-Citizen department!

And when I say "gross"...I mean it!

Francesca
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #49

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
There is also the theory (that I just made up) that as a great many Canadians are of Scots descent, such as myself, we just hate to throw anything away while there is any use left in it, and we take care of what we have. We just got the '79 Trillium Jubilee completely painted and put away properly for the winter (complete with snow load relief stick) and will get the last bits done in the spring. We plan on having this trailer indefintely, or until we win Lotto 6/49, whichever comes first!
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
There is also the theory (that I just made up) that as a great many Canadians are of Scots descent, such as myself, we just hate to throw anything away while there is any use left in it, and we take care of what we have. We just got the '79 Trillium Jubilee completely painted and put away properly for the winter (complete with snow load relief stick) and will get the last bits done in the spring. We plan on having this trailer indefintely, or until we win Lotto 6/49, whichever comes first!

There, now- you see?

I knew that I was born to be a Canadian...except for that "all put away for the winter" part, you could be talking about me and my Trillium!

Well...also except for that "newly painted/protected from the snow" part. Plus I'm pretty sure I won't win that Canadian Lottery.........

Never mind!

Francesca
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #51

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
This is a very good thread! ! Oh my all the history to be learned here is just remarkable They really should put more of this FUN stuff in history books for the young folks Why it might even keep some in school longer if they just knew how interesting history could be.

Why I have leared stuff here that I just did not know before ( and I thought I had lived most of it,at least I feel like I have )

Got to love this sight for sure.....friendly people that teach you stuff about history,camping,fiberglass and all that $$$$$ stuff too!

To all my friends and family across the Big Bold Line,thanks for taking in all my folks,(Scots and American Indian)and taking care of them so they can all come back to eat turkey,get warm and enjoy their campers.

Really guys this has been a fun thread to read,it ended my day in a more relaxed state.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
OK, maybe I'm not explaining this properly. My theory is that FG trailer ownership (old or new) is higher among Canadians on a per capita basis.

Do I have any statistics? Are you kidding? This is the internet.
I understood. Is that scary, or what?
Quote:
So...what's with having Thanksgiving on the wrong day, selling gas by the "liter", and going "kilometers per hour"?
We just wanted to keep Thanksgiving separate from Christmas.
As far as the metric system goes, it seems pretty much the rest of the world is into a measurement system that makes sense.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Jim B.

How tall are you?

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hey Jim B.

How tall are you?

baglo
Why, 6'0" or 1.82m. A good sized pile of crap, but you knew that already.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #55

Registry
I do use imperial lots at work, as lots of our materials are still in inches and feet. When I worked on commercial sites, it was a blessing to be able to used metric measurements, where things are way simpler. Inches broken into 1/16ths, 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, and 1,760 yards to a mile. Pretty hard to add lots of these measures together when surveying and laying out a job site. Actually, most time imperial units were used in surveying, they metricized the foot dividing it into tenths of a foot, instead of inches, thus making adding measurements together easier.

It is interesting that even in the US most (but not all) engineering is done in metric because of its simplicity, and ability to work with worldwide standards.

The metric system is based on water measure, a fairly common compound on this planet. A cube of water 1cm (centimeter) square, weighs 1g (gram). 1 calorie is the amount of energy required to raise one cc (cubic centimeter) of water through 1°C (Celsius). Freezing point is 0°C, and boiling 100°C, can't keep it much more simpler than that.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #56

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
We prefer the exact science of the tip of ones nose to the end of his fingers, or length of some some body part LOL! Two countries, one mother country, how did that happen?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
yup it also means we dont have deal with a turkey & family hang over when we get up in the wee hours to head across the the border for the Black Friday sales!
So far, this is the best explanation between the Canadian and US Thanksgiving differences I've read yet!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #58

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is interesting that even in the US most (but not all) engineering is done in metric because of its simplicity, and ability to work with worldwide standards.
Yes, I was a auto engineer for 27 years and it was metric the whole time. I was amused to help out a neighbor kid with his truck. He kept rounding off bolt heads. I explained to him that he should be using metric wrenches. "What?! When did they change?" ..."Ummmm....before you were born........"
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Well...also except for that "newly painted/protected from the snow" part. Plus I'm pretty sure I won't win that Canadian Lottery..
To bad, you might enjoy the fact that Canadians dont pay any tax on Lottery wins no matter how big a win!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #60

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER/ ADMISSION OF SOUR GRAPES ETC....

To my neighbors-to-the-North:

This is just to admit that I'm still really really mad about that whole border thing, hence my nitpickyness....

Love, Francesca...left behind in 1846

P.S.

It's not too late to try again, you know....here's a map in case you forgot!
Oddly, my house is on that map just about where the last "d" in "disputed" is...it's like they knew me!

Wish they had included the fort.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote