Wilderness Areas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
Thanks Matt, Peter and Jack. The only way to 'know' is to read the actual legislation and documentation and follow the money. IMHO if conservative talk radio and the Big Money of the BRC are against this then it is probably a good thing.
Am I to remember that this thread doesn't amount to talking politics...
Just checking the parameters. Wouldn't want to silence or offend those with whom we disagree ...Right?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Am I to remember that this thread doesn't amount to talking politics...
Just checking the parameters. Wouldn't want to silence or offend those with whom we disagree ...Right?
Actually, floyd, this thread began with a suggestion to join an industry-funded political lobbying organization: "you might consider joining the Blue Ribbon Coalition at sharetrails.org."

It's typical that BRC supporters having had their say, they're now trying to silence the other side. If talking politics is inappropriate, the moderator should delete this whole thread.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack maloney View Post
Actually, floyd, this thread began with a suggestion to join an industry-funded political lobbying organization: "you might consider joining the Blue Ribbon Coalition at sharetrails.org."

It's typical that BRC supporters having had their say, they're now trying to silence the other side. If talking politics is inappropriate, the moderator should delete this whole thread.
I'm not a "joiner" and I don't object to this thread, My point was simply that there is seldom a complaint about content unless the opinion expressed is conservative.
It is irresponsible not to exercise good stewardship, but it is blasphemy to worship creation more than its creator.
Responsible access and exploitation of natural resources actually yeilds more public support for conservation efforts. Broad public access must be allowed to our parks and wild areas in order for people to become adament in their support, otherwise they become abstracts,politically unworthy of our tax dollars.
Actually experiencing our wild areas firsthand, instills a respect which cannot be gleaned from newsreels and documentaries.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Actually experiencing our wild areas firsthand, instills a respect which cannot be gleaned from newsreels and documentaries.
I agree, floyd. Having experienced wilderness areas across the continent, as a backpacker, canoeist, climber, XC skier, winter camper and ski mountaineer, I have immense respect for our wild areas. That's why I have worked for years to keep them wild and open to people who are willing to make an effort to experience them under their own power. If you can 'experience' an area while sitting on your butt and twitching a throttle, it ain't wild -- it's just another mechanized playground.

There is no 'liberal wilderness' or 'conservative wilderness' in America. There is just the people's wilderness. There is less of it today than ever before, and it is under constant pressure from vested interests who would willingly consume it for profit. We owe it to our grandchildren to protect what's left.

Secretarial Order 3310 simply restores public authority to protect wild lands, protection which was stripped away in 2003. It directs the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), based on the input of the public and local communities through its existing land management planning process, to designate appropriate areas with wilderness characteristics under its jurisdiction as "Wild Lands" and to manage them to protect their wilderness values.

That's pretty reasonable protection, something that people of all political persuasions should be able to support.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack maloney View Post
I agree, floyd. Having experienced wilderness areas across the continent, as a backpacker, canoeist, climber, XC skier, winter camper and ski mountaineer, I have immense respect for our wild areas. That's why I have worked for years to keep them wild and open to people who are willing to make an effort to experience them under their own power. If you can 'experience' an area while sitting on your butt and twitching a throttle, it ain't wild -- it's just another mechanized playground.

There is no 'liberal wilderness' or 'conservative wilderness' in America. There is just the people's wilderness. There is less of it today than ever before, and it is under constant pressure from vested interests who would willingly consume it for profit. We owe it to our grandchildren to protect what's left.

Secretarial Order 3310 simply restores public authority to protect wild lands, protection which was stripped away in 2003. It directs the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), based on the input of the public and local communities through its existing land management planning process, to designate appropriate areas with wilderness characteristics under its jurisdiction as "Wild Lands" and to manage them to protect their wilderness values.

That's pretty reasonable protection, something that people of all political persuasions should be able to support.
As I said before I am not a "joiner"... Too much exposure to extremist propaganda.
An Environmental Extremist is no less a threat to our environment than his irresponsible counterpart who advocates exploitation without stewardship. I was clearly refering to broad based exposure through proper use of public lands when I said...
"Actually experiencing our wild areas firsthand, instills a respect which cannot be gleaned from newsreels and documentaries."
The text of my comment from which you derived that quote confirms this and that you do not, in fact, agree with my position.
The model which I think best explains that position is that of the Smokey Mountain National Park. While not perfect,the park is about the best in the nation at expediting public access while protecting a valuable resource.
The park has quiet walkways, hiking, backwoods camping, RV camping, picnicing, dayhikes, automobile access,fishing, kayaking,swimming, the Appalacian trail etc. All of this "intrusion" amounts to about one percent of the park area.
Unlike some who see man as a blight on this Earth, I believe that he has, along with an obligation for stewardship, a license to access the land which is at least as profound as that of the plants and animals under his purview.
Roads which allow access for those who would use their Scamp as a basecamp for dayhikes, kayaking, fishing, etc. are no more a threat to the environment than those who would use thousands of gallons of diesel fuel to fly-in and use a motel as a jumping off point for accessing the wilderness on foot, while spending the other 300+ days of the year exploiting the Earth's environment for power, transportation and such.
There are those who would tell you that your actions have impact on the Earth's environment where ever you are, even to the extent of desiring to tax and regulate the very gas which you exhale.
While I am in favor of "reasonable" regulations, I am still able to see the irony in a sign which reads...
"Public Property,No Trespassing"

BTW; In spite of the well managed and seemingly ubiquitous access to SMNP, any real damage to the park is widely accepted as coming from environmental sources unrelated to that access.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #26

I have good memories of an Easter sunrise atop Clingmans Dome, back in 1956. I'm glad to hear that Great Smoky Mountains National Park is still under good stewardship. And glad to know that Secretarial Order 3310 will restore good stewardship to BLM wild lands.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Like always, a few spoil it for the many.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
Quote:
As I said before I am not a "joiner"... Too much exposure to extremist propaganda.
An Environmental Extremist is no less a threat to our environment than his irresponsible counterpart who advocates exploitation without stewardship. I was clearly refering to broad based exposure through proper use of public lands when I said...
"Actually experiencing our wild areas firsthand, instills a respect which cannot be gleaned from newsreels and documentaries."
The text of my comment from which you derived that quote confirms this and that you do not, in fact, agree with my position.
The model which I think best explains that position is that of the Smokey Mountain National Park. While not perfect,the park is about the best in the nation at expediting public access while protecting a valuable resource.
The park has quiet walkways, hiking, backwoods camping, RV camping, picnicing, dayhikes, automobile access,fishing, kayaking,swimming, the Appalacian trail etc. All of this "intrusion" amounts to about one percent of the park area.
Unlike some who see man as a blight on this Earth, I believe that he has, along with an obligation for stewardship, a license to access the land which is at least as profound as that of the plants and animals under his purview.
Roads which allow access for those who would use their Scamp as a basecamp for dayhikes, kayaking, fishing, etc. are no more a threat to the environment than those who would use thousands of gallons of diesel fuel to fly-in and use a motel as a jumping off point for accessing the wilderness on foot, while spending the other 300+ days of the year exploiting the Earth's environment for power, transportation and such.
There are those who would tell you that your actions have impact on the Earth's environment where ever you are, even to the extent of desiring to tax and regulate the very gas which you exhale.
While I am in favor of "reasonable" regulations, I am still able to see the irony in a sign which reads...
"Public Property,No Trespassing"

BTW; In spite of the well managed and seemingly ubiquitous access to SMNP, any real damage to the park is widely accepted as coming from environmental sources unrelated to that access.
WOW!!!! A voice of reason.

Thank you.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote