Will a high wind flip a parked trailer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Based on the research, that sounds about what I'd expect. Being "on a lot" probably means they were unstabilized and unattended, meaning none of the precautions an alert camper might take- hitching and turning end on to the wind, using the tug as a wind block, or breaking camp and driving out of the danger area- were implemented.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Based on the research, that sounds about what I'd expect. Being "on a lot" probably means they were unstabilized and unattended, meaning none of the precautions an alert camper might take- hitching and turning end on to the wind, using the tug as a wind block, or breaking camp and driving out of the danger area- were implemented.
But they got them on security camera.

Yes they were on the lot and it was the first two at the road end of the row. One landed on an unoccupied car.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #43

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Hmmm - this is interesting reading, especially since we are holed up in our 19' Escape at the moment in the Alabama Hills area just west of Lone Pine, CA. Starting yesterday around noon a huge wind storm arrived over this entire region. Winds yesterday were sustained at 25-40 MPH with gusts over 50. I saw online yesterday that a gust was recorded at 84 MPH in Independence, CA (just north of us). I heard that some gusts here were over 60 MPH. We knew this storm was coming and had to just hole up somewhere. To travel on in the blowing dust and crosswinds would have been more dangerous than stopping. Portions of I395 south of Lone Pine were closed to high profile vehicles and the streets of Lone Pine were lined with semis waiting out the storm.

We parked our rig with the back facing into the direction of the wind, kept all our windows and vents closed, and made sure our tires were well chocked and our stabilizer jacks down tight. Yesterday we rocked and rolled a lot and at times it was very nerve wracking. One especially strong gust felt like a giant had picked up a giant sized handful of sand and pebbles and thrown it at our trailer. The blowing dust was insane too.

But we're still upright and today the wind has come down some. We even managed to get out for a little sight seeing. I ran the figures given at the start of the thread and it looks like we'd be OK up to about 90 MPH or so. Hope to never have to ride out a storm with those kinds of winds.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:43 AM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move Kathy by parking inline with the wind. Where we normally camp in the desert we get pretty strong winds out of one canyon on occasion. Being we do a big circle up, I now park with the tail into the wind. Blew here yesterday, pretty much 40-50 with 80+ gusts. Knocked my 18' cargo trailer (parked sideways to the wind) off the tongue jack blocks but didn't bother the Casita as it was tail into the wind .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #45

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The math on the original post looks right, but I think you're actually calculating the amount of wind necessary to lift the trailer rather than just tip it over. It does make a nice upper bound, though - any wind strong enough to lift the whole thing will definitely tip it over no matter what. Exact wind required to tip it over is going to depend a lot on angle, duration, surface, traction, and exactly where the weight's placed. Wind at an angle isn't nearly as bad as directly broadside. Short gusts aren't as bad as several seconds straight of wind. Stabilizers down will help a bit, as will tandem axles. Pavement is safer than dirt, since it'll skid sideways rather than lean. Lots of weight low down (especially on the upwind side) also helps, so full tanks are good.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote